Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 100th Indianapolis 500 - Meet-Up
stevegm
post Sep 13 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

I know it is early. But, public tickets will go on sale in October. So I wanted to throw it out there.

Anyone going in 2016? Next year is the 100th running of the race. We've never been. So I figured it was a good year to go. My oldest son and I are planning to drive the 914 up to the race.

Any advice on where to stay? I have a reservation at La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis AP Plainfield. It is by the airport, about 13 miles from the track.

We will be driving up from Charlotte - either through Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, or through Kentucky, depending on whether others might want drive with us. Maybe a 914 caravan? Our plan is to drive up on Friday, have Saturday to go to the museum, etc., watch the race on Sunday, and drive home Monday.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 13 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Make sure to leave an extra day to see the museum with your son too, preferably after everyone goes home & easier to get in & thru.

My folks moved back to the Indy area in `71 with my Dad's job transfer, but I stayed in SoCal due to finishing college here - so I went a few times, & took my son to the museum when he was old enough.

You & he will love it - much more than just Indy cars!

PS - lotsa places to stay in Speedway (town) + Avon & Plainfield hotels aren't much further, but latter will have better pricing & easy to get to the Speedway if you drive up or rent a car in Indy.

PSS - Maybe if you dye your hair white, put on the fake arrow on your head, carry a banjo & show your ID ... they just may let you sit with the VIPs!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Sep 13 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

Dad and I will be there...
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Sep 13 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am focused on attending with my Big Block Son in AZ in tow.

Literally, tow the 914 to some outlying town in the comfort and relative safety of a dependable MBZ SUV, get a decent twin bed room - set that place as base camp - and drive the 914 to race day for the events to follow - each day as schedules permit.

Any input on cool old styled (best place to stay outside of dollarsville) is greatly appreciated and any other advice on travel luggage - Wax to the fastest Indian at Bonneville.........

i.e., I'm thinking of bring the mobile 4x4 sub zero fridge, a plethora of cuts of fine chops and meats, a mobile grill of choice / I have one...., miscellanea of cheeses, and case load-lot of fine libations, / all offered elsewhere at premium price in the vicinity of the 500 / but for you, folks, I am up for Chefing in the parking lot of some out-of-the-way motel 40 miles from the 500.

Time is of the essence. What happened to Capon' Crusty can happen to us.

If you don't do it now fellas, it will not happen in your lifetime.

Also, this trip will be a fully documented investigation into better maintenance practices for the auto fleet ..of any business. (of which a 914 resides therein........)

I hate taxes

but Love the tax code.... as Obama secured it fundamentally unchanged / so much for Hope and change..
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Sep 13 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,400
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been to indy race 13 times, last one was 1987. What a spectacle. Mario was kicking butt till his car broke. But he did have the fastest car on that day in 87. I knew uncle Louie, he had m/s and a shop in Fullerton, CA. It was called Louie Unser racing. He was great guy to talk to bout him and his brothers. I was wearing his shop shirt that day at indy 87, and Al senior won as a backup driver. I had all area access in pits and went by Al seniors garage. He saw my Louie Unser shirt and asked were did u get that. I told him I know him and visit him alot, and he told me to come in the garage and party with us. The car that he won the race with is sitting at Penske museum in Scottsdale, AZ. indy car racing has really changed since then.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 13 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

If others are going, I'd love to do some sort of get together. Maybe on Saturday night.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 13 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Have the set the $ for tickets yet. I heard they planned a big jump in price because of the 100 anniversary
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 13 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 13 2015, 09:08 PM) *

Have the set the $ for tickets yet. I heard they planned a big jump in price because of the 100 anniversary

I do not believe there was any unusual increase in prices (I too thought there would be). Tickets are offered to previous year ticket holders first. But, you can "reserve" tickets now even if you did not previously have any (I did this). And in October, after filling the previous ticket holders they will fill those new reservations. I chose 3 or 4 different choices for seats, and they were all around $100 each, IIRC. Also, they told me that the grass viewing ares never sell out and they are very reasonably priced.
+Quote Post
JohnLClark
post Sep 13 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,956

I am going with my sister. She is a big Indycar fan. Thanks for the heads up about when tickets go on sale. We have not decided where we are staying yet. Any suggestions about where to sit?
+Quote Post
indydad
post Sep 14 2015, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 578

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 13 2015, 01:07 PM) *

I know it is early. But, public tickets will go on sale in October. So I wanted to throw it out there.

Anyone going in 2016? Next year is the 100th running of the race. We've never been. So I figured it was a good year to go. My oldest son and I are planning to drive the 914 up to the race.

Any advice on where to stay? I have a reservation at La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis AP Plainfield. It is by the airport, about 13 miles from the track.

We will be driving up from Charlotte - either through Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, or through Kentucky, depending on whether others might want drive with us. Maybe a 914 caravan? Our plan is to drive up on Friday, have Saturday to go to the museum, etc., watch the race on Sunday, and drive home Monday.

Your hotel location is OK. You can jump on I-70 to Holt Road to come in from the south or take I-465 to 10TH street.
Definitely do the Museum. Try Long's donuts and Mug-n-Bun drive in.
Depending on your seats you can park at my son's house or my daughter's for free. All Porsches park free there. They are 5 blocks west of Georgetown at 22nd ST.
Tickets should not increase because of the 100th race, but scalpers will be asking outrageous prices. We will probably get General Admission and set on the viewing mounds. They are a great way to experience to race. Bring a blanket, cooler and chairs. Very comfortable.
A get together will be great.

Hope to see you then.

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 21 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I met a lot of great teeners at Okteenerfest this past weekend that are interested in driving up/down to the Indy 500 next year for a meetup.

Question for those of you who have been to the Indy Museum - is it a half day thing, or does it need a full day? I'd love to go Saturday morning and then maybe do something else in the afternoon. But, I want to make sure i leave enough time for the museum.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 9 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I spoke to the ticket office today. They are running behind. They are currently working to fill existing ticket holders' orders, then they fill new applications for tickets, then they start selling to the general public. They expect to be ready to sell to the general public in early December. You can submit an application for tickets now though on their website.

Question for those of you who have been to the Indy Museum - is it a half day thing, or does it need a full day? I'd love to go Saturday morning and then maybe do something else in the afternoon. But, I want to make sure i leave enough time for the museum.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 9 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It's not all that big. Not even half day. They offer rides around the track and that's fun. Just a bus ride. Visit the track photo library on the second floor. You can order any picture in any size.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 9 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I went to rookie practice about 30 years ago during an Indianapolis layover. The museum itself is worth the trip.
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Oct 10 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 18,519
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I live in Indy, go to the race every year with my brother and have so since I moved here in 1996. It's still an amazing experience that every motorsport fan needs to experience at least once in their life! I've heard the ticket price increase is modest. My tickets only went up $5.

Steve, Plainfield is as good a place to stay as any and pretty convenient to the track. Hotel rooms will likely be gone by the end of the year so book now!

I'm happy to do whatever I can to help - would love to have some kind of meet up Saturday night.

Aaron in indy
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 11 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 9 2015, 03:47 PM) *

It's not all that big. Not even half day. They offer rides around the track and that's fun. Just a bus ride. Visit the track photo library on the second floor. You can order any picture in any size.

Thanks. We will probably do the museum Saturday morning. If you have any other things we should definitely see while there, I'd appreciate it.
+Quote Post
indydad
post Oct 12 2015, 08:10 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 578

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 11 2015, 03:29 PM) *

Thanks. We will probably do the museum Saturday morning. If you have any other things we should definitely see while there, I'd appreciate it.

The Dallara Factory and CarpenterFisherHartman are worth going to. I think there is an indoor go-kart building being built by CFH also. Foyt has a wine shop too. All these are on Main Street just south of the 16th St round a bout.
The Museum can be as long as you want, but do take your time.

indydad
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Oct 12 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(indydad @ Oct 12 2015, 10:10 AM) *

The Dallara Factory and CarpenterFisherHartman are worth going to. I think there is an indoor go-kart building being built by CFH also. Foyt has a wine shop too. All these are on Main Street just south of the 16th St round a bout.

indydad

+1 to indydad's suggestions. And if you do the Dallara factory go across the street to Charlie Brown's Pancake and Steak House. You're almost guaranteed to spot some old-timer indycar guys. I bumped into (literally) AJ Foyt in the parking lot one day. Then around the corner on 10th Street is Mug N Bun, another driver hang out. The new drivers mostly hang out downtown
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 12 2015, 08:47 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(arsprod @ Oct 12 2015, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(indydad @ Oct 12 2015, 10:10 AM) *

indydad

+1 to indydad's suggestions. And if you do the Dallara factory go across the street to Charlie Brown's Pancake and Steak House. You're almost guaranteed to spot some old-timer indycar guys. I bumped into (literally) AJ Foyt in the parking lot one day. Then around the corner on 10th Street is Mug N Bun, another driver hang out. The new drivers mostly hang out downtown

Thanks for the suggestions. AJ Foyt huh? Pretty cool. I don't really know of the new drivers. But, I'd love to bump into some of the old timers. If anyone wants to join us, we would love to do the museum Saturday morning, go to some of these hang outs in the afternoon and meet up for dinner with anyone that wants to hang out and talk/look at 914s Saturday evening.
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Oct 12 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 12 2015, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks for the suggestions. AJ Foyt huh? Pretty cool. I don't really know of the new drivers. But, I'd love to bump into some of the old timers. If anyone wants to join us, we would love to do the museum Saturday morning, go to some of these hang outs in the afternoon and meet up for dinner with anyone that wants to hang out and talk/look at 914s Saturday evening.

It's a plan! I'll see if we can get the speedway to make it a sponsored 914teeners event! Jerry this means you have to get your car done by May!!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:28 AM