Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Build-off Challenge - Organizational Thread, NEED FEEDBACK ON LOGO FOR SHIRTS
stevegm
post Sep 13 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

I admit - not all of my ideas are great ones. I am not sure where this one lands. But, here it is . . . .

Anybody interested in a build (fun) challenge contest? The idea is to get 2, 3, or 4 people who are planning to do their 914 build over the next year. And track all of the builds at the same time - in a thread and in Fourteener Magazine.

I don't know if there even needs to be a "winner" per se. But, if so, I am sure we can come up with some swag and/or parts, etc. for the "winner."

The main thing is I think it would be fun to track a few builds simultaneously.

Anybody interested?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 13 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great idea. The magazine can pay for the builds. Like the reality/car shows. I'm in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 13 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2015, 07:54 PM) *

Great idea. The magazine can pay for the builds. Like the reality/car shows. I'm in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I knew that was coming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Just an idea. I think it would be really cool to follow a few builds simultaneously, and watch what hurdles they run into.
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Sep 13 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

I will officially announce my

search for sponsors!
anybody out there wanna fund my rebuild I am in!

this is really a no brainer for some of our member vendors

-all (95ish%) original 73 2.0 180k (but freshly rebuilt by the po at 90k-ish!)
Cali car no (known) rust issues!
really just needs a thorough engine out cleaning/once over/tasteful upgrades/color sanding/...

so any body out there willing to step up pm me I'll gladly put your stickers on my car and would be available for promotional opportunities! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
cjl
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 13 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

The first adjustment would be change it from "over a year" to "a five-year" build competition...most seem to take that long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 13 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Just started the rough in pulls on my 6. I have most of the parts. Fortunately I own a Celette. Unfortunately I don't have the second gen towers. I contacted Celette to rent the original fixtures. I was told they scrapped the original fixtures. I have to purchase 6k worth of second gen towers then rent the tops for about another 1000-1500. That ain't happening any time soon... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 13 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 13 2015, 09:31 PM) *

Just started the rough in pulls on my 6. I have most of the parts. Fortunately I own a Celette. Unfortunately I don't have the second gen towers. I contacted Celette to rent the original fixtures. I was told they scrapped the original fixtures. I have to purchase 6k worth of second gen towers then rent the tops for about another 1000-1500. That ain't happening any time soon... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Bummer. No body around here has the original towers? It seems like a set would be out there.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 13 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 13 2015, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 13 2015, 09:31 PM) *

Bummer. No body around here has the original towers? It seems like a set would be out there.

Nope. I'm going to see if I can find a shop in Minneapolis that has the second gen towers. I may be able to rent the towers and then rent the tops... Big hassle.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 13 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I volunteer my Six as one of the candidates to consider. Scotty is actually, in about 3 weeks, going to hit the ground running on my car and I am understanding it will be completed within 6 months at the outside.
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Sep 13 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #10

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

Alright, fine, I'll put mine in too!

1975 2.0l FI, rust and body work done in original L041.

DONE: body work except for color sand, fully redone interior exept headliner on targa, runs and drives.

NEEDS: some light engine work, linkage work, door handle work, new bumpers, radio, few more rubber seals, and fiddly bits.

This maybe a short project for someone with the time and money, but given I'm still in 10th grade high honors and play 3+ sports a season, it will take at least a few months even if I had the money and parts, this is why I could use some help getting my first teener on the road.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 13 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Wow - I am impressed by the dedication and commitment dudzy's914 (Finn) has demonstrated. His car should definitely be a party to this challenge/madness.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Sep 14 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,743

I like the idea, but after hanging out on this site a while I notice that many (most?) threads I see are guys that do this for a living and the work is done at a business. A few are guys that do something else for a living, and the car is... I hate to say hobby or that they are amateur because some of them are really good, but you get my point.

What I'm getting at is it might be cool to get a couple different projects from the ends of this spectrum and do a compare/contrast. It would sure help a guy like me to see how a pro approaches the various tasks of restoration, and especially how a pro would recommend an amateur approach the same thing. There is a ton of that on this site already and is the main reason I am here, but the more the better!
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 14 2015, 12:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Let me think about how this might work. The initial idea wasn't to fund someone's build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Rather, instead of a single project car in the magazine, I thought it might be fun to track a few builds side by side. Dedicate a page to each of 3 or 4 builds, in each issue. Cover the details in a thread or online.

But, I recognize that when you introduce professional shops and money, it becomes something else. Maybe the way to go is to find 3 or 4 builds happening over the next year that are about the same work (strip, repair, paint, assemble . . . or something like that), and by car owners (not shops).
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Sep 14 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #14

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 14 2015, 12:06 PM) *

Let me think about how this might work. The initial idea wasn't to fund someone's build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Rather, instead of a single project car in the magazine, I thought it might be fun to track a few builds side by side. Dedicate a page to each of 3 or 4 builds, in each issue. Cover the details in a thread or online.

But, I recognize that when you introduce professional shops and money, it becomes something else. Maybe the way to go is to find 3 or 4 builds happening over the next year that are about the same work (strip, repair, paint, assemble . . . or something like that), and by car owners (not shops).

If you are looking for a complete rookie to join the competition I would be interested. Got my first 914 recently and my first post on Sat. Not sure what qualifies for it but am certainly trying to get mine going.

-Brett
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 14 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I think the main things we need to look for are:

1. Similar amounts of work that needs to be done (with the caveat that you never really know what lies underneath until you get into it).
2. That the owner is planning to do it in about a year. I am imagining that we would start this fall or winter, and finish in 2016. So a 9 month or 1 year thing. But, as we all know these things never go as planned. So, it's difficult to figure out. We would cover i over 4 issues (1 year), with online updates along the way. I'd love to introduce the 3 or 4 builds in the January issue.
3. Not a shop doing the restoration. Obviously some things may need to go to a shop - metal work, engine rebuild, paint, etc. But, for the most part I was hoping it would be the owner doing the resto.

These are just ideas. Other ideas are always welcome.

Thanks,
Steve
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 14 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #16

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101

What about the 914World Limo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 14 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #17

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 14 2015, 10:00 AM) *

I like the idea, but after hanging out on this site a while I notice that many (most?) threads I see are guys that do this for a living and the work is done at a business. A few are guys that do something else for a living, and the car is... I hate to say hobby or that they are amateur because some of them are really good, but you get my point.

What I'm getting at is it might be cool to get a couple different projects from the ends of this spectrum and do a compare/contrast. It would sure help a guy like me to see how a pro approaches the various tasks of restoration, and especially how a pro would recommend an amateur approach the same thing. There is a ton of that on this site already and is the main reason I am here, but the more the better!

Most of us are amateurs and many of the DIY guys just stopped posting or finished the car long ago. Sir Andy (haha, spell check fixed it to So Randy) he built a whole sub forum for build threads, well worth the time to review all us hack builders, myself included
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 14 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Im in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 14 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

The problem with the build thread sub forum is nothing has been moved in there in 2 years and there have been some amazing builds in that time.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Sep 14 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,604

I would be in, need to close up long, install engine shelf, some body work, strip and paint.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:24 PM