Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possiable Deal, Help me price out a car
Eric Taylor
post Mar 4 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

So today i'm driving back to school, and I see this little 914 sitting at a local VW shop and it's forsale, and so I HAD to go look at it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif). So i get up close, and it's a 74 2.0 in white. Alright so this looks promising open the drivers, door, with no door panel installed or door latch, swinging open and see a center consol, and a pretty tatered interior, needs seats, backpad, dash top, carpet kit the usual stuff. So pop the trunks and engine compartment, and NO RUST, and an original battery tray with original paint. I nearly wet myself. Anyway, moving around the car it looks just straight as an arrow. The engine isn't leaking any oil, and fi is in order. So it looks like a pretty good deal mechanically and structurally, however cosmetically it has a few issues. It looks like it's been sitting, their is mold around the black bumpers and the tits are starting to sag and spider web a little. No sail panel vinyl, missing letters on the engine compartment lid, no 914 logo, one fog is broken, and it's stock paint which is rather faded, perdini's which could use a serious refinish, and spider web's on the breaks. So I go in and ask, I guess the guy is going through a divorice and want's to get rid of the car. They were fixing the door latch, and had just figured out the FI. So I ask price, $3500! Jesus that's steep and that's down from $4000 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) . So I'm wondering what you guys think, when I first saw it my imediate thought was $1000-$1500 if it runs. Am I off my rocker or what do you guys think, If I could get ot for $1000 or so it would be a steal due to the structural part of it, but cosmetically it needs help. Anyway i'm open to opinions
Eric
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 4 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

$1500 max.
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Mar 4 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258

sounds pretty high to me... The prices have been going up but that just isn't worth it. You can find a pretty good runner(or could) for that price. If you are looking for a good project, then it might be good. If possible see if the guy would let you take a spin in it. See how the brakes, trans engine. Oh yea CHECK THE ROCKERS AND FLOORS!
Good luck,
Barry
+Quote Post
bondo
post Mar 4 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Check behind the sound deadening pad in the engine compartment, find the rust, and use that to talk him down (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) If there is no rust, buy it and remove that pad before there is rust. It seems to me that rust free 914s are priced according to how rusty the 914s in the area are.

Oh, and (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Mar 4 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #5

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Rust free body is a big plus. Interior stuff is pretty easy to find and not that costly. If the motor runs and is not leaking, that is real good. But do a compression test. Pretty sure bet that you will want to go through the brake system. Do a little more searching for rust and if the body and motor check out, maybe as much as 2K.

Contrary to some opinions frequently given, the values are going up for 914s. A good rust free tub is of value! So is a solid 2.0L motor. Heck, the heads in good condition can bring $500 or more.
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Mar 4 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #6

Yeah, yeah, pictures, I know. I didn't have my camera. Sounds like, i'm right on track, I'll give him a little time to come down, and low ball him later. Could be a fun driver, with a little work. Yeah, next time i'll go back and drive it, when the door closes lol. see what the deal is. And take pictures
Eric
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Mar 4 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #7

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Replace Interior - $1000
Paint-$2000
Misc.-$2000

Honestly Rust Free 914- Priceless!

First, make sure it's truly rust free as was mentioned before, and if it is, the extra money may be the best you have ever spent- but it would really have to be super solid, and only pay that if you plan to keep it.

Unless you are extremely experienced at finding rust in 914's, I'd find someone to look it over. Even people who have owned 10 914's can be tricked once in a while.
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Mar 4 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #8

Yeah, the possiability of rust I don't think is a very big one. I've check over a lot of 914's and this looks great. Pan's look awesome, the longs aswell, I didn't get pull the rocker panels, but from underneath the long's look new. I need to check the suspension consol next time I go look at it, but the trunks were tight little surface rust in the rear, but nothing a little wire wheel wouldn't take care of. Other than that the car needs to be cleaned up and yeah, probably re-shot because it's paint kinda looks like it's been sitting outside for a long time. I would say my biggest points of bitching, would be the fact that the interior looks pretty shot, I've seen way worse, this one dosn't look like a bear was in their, but maybe a cat or something. The car has beeen sitting, and that leaves a lot of unknowns in my opinion, fuel lines, break lines, etc that could all need to be replaced. So we'll see how this all goes. If I could get it for a $1000 it would be a great deal. Who knows i've already got to dam many cars!
Eric
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 4 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Dunno....3500 no rust, up North, no shipping....not a BAD price....not a great price.....

Look under the carpets up front by the pedals, inside the wheel wells, back behind the seats.... does it have sway bars, was it cut for A/C, alloy wheels...give us some pics....
+Quote Post
markb
post Mar 4 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #10

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Rust free? Go 2500 & be happy. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Mar 4 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #11

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Hey Eric, if it's as rust free as you say, the 2.0 runs with all the FI stuff in place I think $2000 would still be a good deal.

Lets see it's just a quick drive over the mountains, search the VW shops around Eugene (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) it may be gone next time you go back (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

Nah, just kidding. My wife would kill me, she loves the one we have now but I have mentioned getting another project and got the look.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 4 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

If the brakes are cobwebbed over... you could spend some $$$ getting the hydraulic system up to par (i.e., safe). You might be looking at rebuilding calipers, no brake lines, resurfacing rotors if in spec, etc.).

How long has it sat? Fuel tank, lines, and injectors could be gunked up.

Tires.

Cosmetic

Paint

Interior

Missing pieces

They ALL add up. Even if you find good used parts... you might look at another $1000-$1500 in parts/pieces plus the brake job, and then paint.

Consider what you might be able to find in very good condition for $4000 or so...

Just things to consider.

But again... the rust-free factor is worth more than it's weight in repalcement parts.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 4 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I paid $ 1500.00 for my stock 72 1.7 white car 12 years ago. The condition was similar as what you discribed right down to the mold. I'd easily pay $ 3000.00 for the car you discribed if I were looking.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Mar 5 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #14

Humm, it's interesting, seams were kinda ll over the map on pricing. We'll just have to see what happens with time, I guess. I bet he comes down, just a hunch.
Eric
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 06:14 AM