Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 914 to sell
mckeedad6
post Sep 16 2015, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,161
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi Guys new to forum and 914s. My uncle has a 74 1.8 car that was restored about 20 or so years ago. In my opinion it is in super nice shape for such a old car. he didnt drive it much since it was done and he always kept it covered in his garage. It has been in AZ for the last 15 years. I am replacing the fuel pump and someone put it up by the rack. My question is should i put it back in its original spot or leave it up front. Just want to make it most desirable to sell for you collectors and 914 lovers. BTW I would LOVE to keep it but I am 6.5 and I can hardly get in and out of it. I cant even put my head up if the top is on. Therefore I'd like to see it go to someone who will enjoy it. Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I can move If you let me know.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
schreiber
post Sep 16 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,843
Region Association: South East States

Asking price?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 16 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mckeedad6 @ Sep 16 2015, 01:53 PM) *

Hi Guys new to forum and 914s. My uncle has a 74 1.8 car that was restored about 20 or so years ago. In my opinion it is in super nice shape for such a old car. he didnt drive it much since it was done and he always kept it covered in his garage. It has been in AZ for the last 15 years. I am replacing the fuel pump and someone put it up by the rack. My question is should i put it back in its original spot or leave it up front. Just want to make it most desirable to sell for you collectors and 914 lovers. BTW I would LOVE to keep it but I am 6.5 and I can hardly get in and out of it. I cant even put my head up if the top is on. Therefore I'd like to see it go to someone who will enjoy it. Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I can move If you let me know.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

No - keep that fuel pump up front, as that was where the factory service/tech bulletin says to relocate them from the engine bay, in order to prevent heat induced vapor lock of the pump/lines.

I used to have a pic of Kareem Abdul Jabbar driving a 914 & he's got a few inches on you! So it's not impossible, but may just be a sunny day top off cruiser for you - if you were to keep it & enjoy it - which you would!

Maybe try it awhile on sunny days with the top off, go to a few local Porsche Club (PCA) events, etc. & see if you like your Dad's entry into the Porsche world! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Good Luck either way! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

PS - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 16 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Either you are 6 foot 5 inches and can take the seat cushion out, or you are 6.5 years old and should add a seat cushion...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 16 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

There is a classified section, but one of the admins might see your post and move it for you. You will need to include a price in the ad.

I agree, pull the seat cushion out and get another one, and cut down the foam a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 16 2015, 10:38 PM
Post #6

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 16 2015, 05:07 PM) *

Maybe try it awhile on sunny days with the top off

What other way is there to drive a 914??!!

Drive in the rain? No.
Drive on a sunny day with the top on? No.
Drive on a sunny day with the top off? YES!!!!
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 07:26 AM
Post #7

Thanks guys for the response. I will try the seat cushion removed and Ill keep the pump up front. I didn't put it in classifieds because I want to get it running and make sure all is good with it. Really just wondered about the fuel pump. The three nipple one is pretty much obsolete from what I read so I I think am going to go with the Bosh from a 75 and later car. I will get more pics this weekend to post on here for you guys. Thanks Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 07:30 AM
Post #8

Here are a couple more

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 07:36 AM
Post #9

My uncle put tape on the bottom seat cushions to cover a tear. The seats look good under the tape so I think I am going to see if I can find someone to sew them up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 17 2015, 10:16 AM
Post #10

Just curious if you've tried to adjust the seat by lowering the front angle (with the lever on the left side) and sliding it back all the way (with the handle under the right side)?
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 12:50 PM
Post #11

Tried moving it. It goes down in the front but I think it might be all the way back. I am still trying to figure out how things work on the car and I dont want to break anything by forcing it.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 17 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #12

... oh, and by the way, nice wheels ... they look like 'Revolutions' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 17 2015, 03:42 PM) *

... oh, and by the way, nice wheels ... they look like 'Revolutions' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Not sure what they are. My uncle bought them for it. I know he paid close to $900 for them though.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #14

Well I found the rust. Ill put pics on when I figure out how to get them off my phone/ It is in the rear trunk at the very rear. My next question for you guys is if I should fix it or let the new owner. Sorry I just don't fit in it, These are cars that should be enjoyed and it's just not comfortable for me. That being said is it worth it to fix or will not get my money out of the repair. Rest of car is clean. Maybe super clean by 914 standards from what I've been reading. Ill put pics on in AM
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Sep 17 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #15

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 17 2015, 12:16 PM) *

Just curious if you've tried to adjust the seat by lowering the front angle (with the lever on the left side) and sliding it back all the way (with the handle under the right side)?

I prefer to slide the seat forward a few clicks and then recline it back. Much more comfortable reclining than sitting straight up when driving, and it gives you some more headroom. It's even nicer if you have a smaller steering wheel, like a MOMO or something. I'm 6'1" and it leaves me a lot of headroom.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(schreiber @ Sep 16 2015, 05:01 PM) *

Asking price?

Not sure what to ask. Don't want to give it away. but not trying to gouge someone either. I think I will put it in clasifieds but I want to get a lot of good pics and cant do that till Sat. Only rust I found was in the rear trunk, I wire wheeled it and there are some holes but all in all looks a lot better than a lot I've seen. I'll always entertain any fair offer though.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 17 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 17 2015, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 17 2015, 12:16 PM) *

I prefer to slide the seat forward a few clicks and then recline it back. Much more comfortable reclining than sitting straight up when driving, and it gives you some more headroom. It's even nicer if you have a smaller steering wheel, like a MOMO or something. I'm 6'1" and it leaves me a lot of headroom.

I've tried several ways just cant seem to get comfortable. Has original steering wheel and my knee hits when shifting. It really sucks but I think I have to let it go. It really needs to be drove and enjoyed. It will make someone very happy. It reali seems super nice to me. But hey I;m a 914 newbie and cant even fit in it.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #18

Here is the rust I found (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 18 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #19

Maybe a member close to you could come take a look and help you assess the car and give you a better ballpark value (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 09:23 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 18 2015, 11:17 AM) *

Maybe a member close to you could come take a look and help you assess the car and give you a better ballpark value (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That would be great if anyone is interested in doing that. I took pics of all suspect areas but my phone camera sucks so I am using a regular camera this weekend. The trunk there is the only bad spot on it. I think everything else was repaired or replaced in 95. I have receipt that I will post in ad when I post it to sell. probably sometime next week. I sure appreciate all your input/help.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:09 AM