Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radiator Suggestions for Blue Porscheru, Will the Scirocco radiator really work?
R_u_dd
post Sep 27 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,072
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I ordered a Scirocco style radiator for my Subaru 2.5 NA conversion. It measures approximately 20" X 11" X 1.5" and is a double pass. The stock radiator measures 13.38 X 27 X 5/8". The scirocco radiator has more surface area if I consider that it is a double pass and twice as thick ie 440 square inches versus 361 square inches. Am I safe to assume that the scirocco (though smaller and thicker) will have the same or better cooling power as stock?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1443382875.1.jpg)

Details here: Radiator portion of thread.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 27 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I think It will work fine as long as it is properly ducted and sealed.

I'm running a Celica GTS rad on my conversion. It fits the trunk space better and is about the same height. Check out the last few pages of my build thread for pics.
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Sep 27 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 27 2015, 02:49 PM) *

I'm running a Celica GTS rad on my conversion. It fits the trunk space better and is about the same height. Check out the last few pages of my build thread for pics.

Is your Celica radiator a single pass radiator? I am hoping the thickness of this radiator makes up for the surface area and that the effective cooling area is actually greater.
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Sep 27 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 27 2015, 02:49 PM) *

Good design Konzept, or does your license plate mean Kids inept?? Just a joke no offense.

Is that the 916 bumper in fiberglass?

Also, where did you come up with those headlights. I think I saw somewhere in another thread that they are cut from another car. Was that also the Celica? I suppose that I could find that in your thread as well. Do you know what page that would be on?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 27 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

I'll add what I put in your build post.

Your rad is good for 400HP with a kludged fan, and 600 if you use their fan. I believe the difference is that they don't want the liability for a bad design.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 27 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #6

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Sep 27 2015, 04:15 PM) *

Good design Konzept, or does your license plate mean Kids inept?? Just a joke no offense.

Is that the 916 bumper in fiberglass?

Also, where did you come up with those headlights. I think I saw somewhere in another thread that they are cut from another car. Was that also the Celica? I suppose that I could find that in your thread as well. Do you know what page that would be on?

Its a modified GT bumper from QRS. I raised the cut out 2" to better fit my oil cooler.

Headlights are modified 240sx units. Cut down on all 4 sides and fiberglassed underneath, brackets mount to stock holes. Not one angle matched the 914 so I made a template and cut them down to size/shape. The lights are not in my build thread. I think there is another thread about headlights that has info. But it was a couple years ago.

Celica rad is single pass but works really well. Yours should work well with the Subie engine as well. I used mine as it was less work and a cleaner install on the shroud.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 27 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I've got the same radiator as Mike mounted a bit further to the front if your looking for another install. (signature)

I think your radiator would be just fine, I initially thought it was to small then I saw it was double pass and fairly thick. Put a high dollar fan on it and shroud it really well and I doubt you will see any issues.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 07:24 AM