Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ex BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Brett's 914, Questions on metal prep
brettrarnold
post Oct 1 2015, 12:24 AM
Post #1

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Background
This car was the first car that Brett drove when he was 13 and was given to us in 2014. It had been sitting idle back in Indiana under a family friend's carport for the past 15 years before Brett went back to Indiana and towed it out to Colorado with his father in July 2014. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

When we got it, we didn't have a garage to work on it and it sat idle being stored outside for another year until we could afford a house with a garage. Colorado is pretty expensive so after we got a house with a garage, we then needed to save up more money to work on it.

Also I must mention in my ignorance, there were 3 distinct phases of thinking for getting this car fixed which I now find funny and are listed below

Phase 1: I will tow this car out to Colorado and get it the engine running for maybe $2,000 and have a working car.
Phase 2: Holy shit after researching this is impossible and will have to pay somebody to fix it for $15-20k.
Phase 3: I have enough local support and 914world resources and can fix this myself for around $10-15k.

Build-Off Challenge
So Amy and I are going to be tackling different aspects of this car so the posts will be coming from both of us. I will handling the rust/engine work and Amy will be on Interior and Exterior. Also she may help with some of the posting so we will start each post with name.

Brett
Step 1 (Complete) was to remove the engine and assess the frame rust situation. Never having removed an engine from a car, this was an extremely daunting task. The steps listed in Pelican Parts tutorial - 914 Engine Removal Made Easy is by far the most difficult thing I have done to a vehicle thus far. Hell I don't even know the difference between a camshaft and a carburetor much less a CV joint or a clutch cable. But after staring at it for about 2 weeks, I decided to just start unhooking shit and labeling. Made a ton of progress and finally got the engine about 95% unhooked. Had a friend come over to help me out and we actually got it out. WOOHOO!!!

Step 2 (Complete) is to strip out all the interior. I ordered chassis braces and other misc items from Tangerine racing and am still in the process of identifying all the rust areas that need repair.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 1 2015, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Welcome to you and Amy. Looks like a nice car to start with. I love that both of you are committed to building it. You should have fun in the process. Just stay organized and work in sections so as not to get overwhelmed. Tackling the rust first is definitely the best approach in my opinion. Once that is done the rest will be smooth sailing.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 1 2015, 07:11 AM
Post #3

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

Just wait till they start posting pictures of that rust! This car is going to be a labour of love, but Brett and Amy have the drive!

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 1 2015, 08:27 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

If the motor pull was intimidating... get some of your CO brothers give you a hand. This is one of the best things about the world site.

and good luck!
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 2 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Man that's is one accusing look from your dog.

"I would rather they'd gotten a cat."
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 2 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Nice looking car and seems like pretty solid foundation...good luck!
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 2 2015, 11:13 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 1 2015, 06:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Welcome to you and Amy. Looks like a nice car to start with. I love that both of you are committed to building it. You should have fun in the process. Just stay organized and work in sections so as not to get overwhelmed. Tackling the rust first is definitely the best approach in my opinion. Once that is done the rest will be smooth sailing.

Ya it wasn't until a competition of sorts came about that amy seemed to show any interest... Go figure. It is cool with her involved as she has a much better design eye than myself and will be tackling all the inside to have a much better product in the end. But I guess downside is that now i'll have to let her drive it...... ha jkjk. Rust will hands down be the main challenge. I got a shit ass welder for another project that I screwed up and already wishing I wouldn't have gone cheap on it. Oh well live and lose.

-Brett
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 2 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 1 2015, 07:11 AM) *

Just wait till they start posting pictures of that rust! This car is going to be a labour of love, but Brett and Amy have the drive!

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!

Ya the rust ohh that rust. I feel that it really is a double edge sword. Without 914 rust there wouldn't be soo many good 914 welders..... Also I feel it creates a sense of camaraderie between us 914 owners. Everyone whose owned one has atleast one thing in common..... fixing the RUST....

Probably a more optimistic way of looking at than most have but my 2 cents. Looking forward to learning how to weld!

I've joined the 914 Colorado yahoo group and as I get further along I will be reaching out to everyone and anyone here local for help with rust. On the plus side, Amy works for Breckenridge beer and the fridge is almost always full of the stuff. Hope welders like breck beer is my saving grace.

Will post photos of the rust tonight and any comments or tips is much much MUCH appreciated!

As for the pup, ya she just sits outside and is constantly wishing for a cat or bunny to chase. Right now she's wearing a cone from an accident chasing a bunny across the street. Funny photo forthcoming.

The car looks solid at the moment but after talking with Ross (rnellums) I realize I am going to have to cut the body to get to the frame rust. That is really disheartening to me as I enjoy the current paint scheme. It happens.

Great comments and thanks for posting everyone. Feedback is going to be important for us.

-Brett
+Quote Post
turk22
post Oct 2 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #9

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yea, my first thought in looking at those pictures was "That dog does not look happy!"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Nutter965
post Oct 2 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,784

Good luck guys, I hope the rust isn't to bad .. I hate rust with a passion !!!! Think the dog does to
+Quote Post
PlantMan
post Oct 2 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,352
Region Association: Southern California

That dog is killing me!!!!! Looks a little evil!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Are you drinking a Coors????
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 2 2015, 02:05 PM
Post #12

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Good luck, the rust is everyones biggest concern as it can get out of hand quickly. Good luck with the build.

I love build threads, no I' am not an addict.

Yes yes yes I am.....
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 2 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,582

Goodluck! love that paint on the car!
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Oct 2 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,106

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Oct 2 2015, 12:16 PM) *

The car looks solid at the moment but after talking with Ross (rnellums) I realize I am going to have to cut the body to get to the frame rust. That is really disheartening to me as I enjoy the current paint scheme. It happens.

I'm experimenting with fixing without cutting up much of the body. It seems difficult and will require some creative solutions, but I'm hoping it's possible.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 4 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #15

Rust Update.

While im waiting for chassis braces to arrive, here are some photos of the rust that that I have to tackle. My plan of attack is to cut along the red lines with a grinder, but my friend mentioned that it may be beneficial to cut rounded. I have no welding experience so any feedback would be welcomed.

My plan parts list is as follows:
Rear floor pan
Right Rocker Panel
inner longitude member passenger side

Is there anything else I am missing?

-Brett

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 4 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Once you start removing paint, floor tar and undercoat, you will find a lot more rust. I guarantee it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 4 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 4 2015, 03:21 PM) *

Once you start removing paint, floor tar and undercoat, you will find a lot more rust. I guarantee it.

Ya I imagine that is going to be the case and just waiting on the chassis braces before starting any cutting.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 4 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

After you cut out all of the rust, make sure you treat the inside of the longitudinals. I am not sure what Scotty and Rick use inside them, but, I would find out and use that. They have a lot of experience with it.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 19 2015, 08:49 AM
Post #19

Howdy folks,

So have kind of been in somewhat of a holding pattern on the rust repair until the chassis braces arrived. While I waited I started working on the brakes and had planned on replacing the pads; however, upon removal, the old pads are about the same size as the new ones and I figured I would just leave em on.

Questions:
1.) The rotors appear in decent shape and the car has only 73k miles so I'm wondering do I need to replace the rotors or just get them turned? Right now leaning towards getting them turned but with putting a Subaru engine in it, would it be wise to upgrade the brakes anyhow?

2.) Im planning on painting the calipers but wanted to get any advice beforehand. I am not sure on the color yet but wanted to get em looking good again. Any tips are appreciated.

3.) I'm planning on purchasing a wiring kit from Jeff's 914, but not sure which one to go with since I'm doing a Subaru conversion. Any ideas? Also, Amy's seat heaters arrived last week so any wiring harness I get must accommodate seat heaters for both seats.

Next topic of business: I am going to be getting married next weekend to the lady whose working on the interior of the 914. So I/we haven't been posting as much as we'd like and wont be doing anything for next few weeks until we return from our honeymoon on the 9th. After we get back though it will be balls to the wall on the rust and Amy is going to start on the reupholstering and interior.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/party.gif)

Thanks Everyone!
-Brett

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 19 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

1) You can turn the rotors but you can also buy them.
2) PMB
3) I have no idea about Subie's but its been done before.... others will chime in.

Keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 06:08 PM