Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ex BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Brett's 914, Questions on metal prep
brettrarnold
post Oct 19 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #21

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 19 2015, 11:41 AM) *

1) You can turn the rotors but you can also buy them.
2) PMB
3) I have no idea about Subie's but its been done before.... others will chime in.

Keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Actually just took the rear ones into O'Reilly next to my house and they said they were in good shape and just needed turned. 15/each wasn't too bad but saw they are on amazon for 60 brand new. Oh well.

For PMB I saw the caliper kits and rebuild kits but was thinking of just giving them a little tlc and see how they work once I get it moving.

-Brett
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 19 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

did your e-brake function before dismantling? most that I have had didn't and the rear brakes didn't fuction. there are very good how toos on here to recondition rear calipers. I drove my dd for two years until it was suggested that i rebuild the rears, made a huge difference in braking.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 19 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

For someone that has never pulled an engine that looks like a pretty insane amount of rust repair to undertake. Bravo for trying to save the car, but man, I have scrapped multiple chassis for having rust issues that don't come near this.

For some reason though i really dig the paint scheme and interior color of this car. Best of luck with it.

+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 20 2015, 07:20 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 19 2015, 04:43 PM) *

did your e-brake function before dismantling? most that I have had didn't and the rear brakes didn't fuction. there are very good how toos on here to recondition rear calipers. I drove my dd for two years until it was suggested that i rebuild the rears, made a huge difference in braking.

Yes the e-brake worked before dismantling and I think I got it off okay. Setting the thickness may be difficult but will cross those bridges when I get to them. Spent a lot of time yesterday scraping gunk off of the rear control arm and spring/shock (**not sure on the terminology). Right now planning on painting the control arm and also the spring with some chassis paint that I ordered.

Once I get the rears back on and see how they work will probably decide to rebuilt or not to rebuild. On the plus side rotors came back and looked fantastic (picture forthcoming)!

-Brett
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 20 2015, 07:27 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 19 2015, 05:06 PM) *

For someone that has never pulled an engine that looks like a pretty insane amount of rust repair to undertake. Bravo for trying to save the car, but man, I have scrapped multiple chassis for having rust issues that don't come near this.

For some reason though i really dig the paint scheme and interior color of this car. Best of luck with it.

Trust me I feel the same way, I stared at the stupid how-to guide for pulling the engine for literally 2 weeks, overwhelmed, but once I started getting into it, it wasn't so bad. This has been such a great learning experience for me thus far.

As for the paint, hoping to save the paint scheme but we'll see how difficult it is to match once I cut out part of the body to tackle the rust. Luckily I have a lot of great resources helping me get this baby back on the road. Thanks for the feedback!

-Brett
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 20 2015, 09:27 AM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Unless you plan to AX the stock brakes are fine. I haven't seen Jeffs914's harness' but I can tell you that you can make your own harness (if you have a donor harness from the Subaru donor car) for pennies then tie into the existing 914 harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 20 2015, 11:48 AM
Post #27

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 20 2015, 09:27 AM) *

Unless you plan to AX the stock brakes are fine. I haven't seen Jeffs914's harness' but I can tell you that you can make your own harness (if you have a donor harness from the Subaru donor car) for pennies then tie into the existing 914 harness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Even in an AX the brakes should be fine. My understanding is that stock brakes have plenty of stopping power, but since they aren't vented and are fairly small they'll over heat and fade faster than the upgrades. An autocross is short enough that heat fade may not be a problem.

For the harness, He's got someone in the know who can pare down an ez30 harness in about and hour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). I even have a few spare ECUs...
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 20 2015, 12:39 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 20 2015, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 20 2015, 09:27 AM) *

Even in an AX the brakes should be fine. My understanding is that stock brakes have plenty of stopping power, but since they aren't vented and are fairly small they'll over heat and fade faster than the upgrades. An autocross is short enough that heat fade may not be a problem.

For the harness, He's got someone in the know who can pare down an ez30 harness in about and hour (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). I even have a few spare ECUs...

Ha I didn't even know what AX meant. I wont be doing much autocross racing and if it becomes a problem I can always choose to upgrade later.

Appreciate the help everyone, Ross just let me know if I need to get anything.

-Brett
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 31 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #29

hello 914 crew! This post is going to be more brief than i would like because i am currently in colombia on a honeymoon and internet here is a bit scant. I havent made any progress since my last post because i got married in fort lauderdale and immediately left to go to Colombia.

For the progress on the car in the past month, i got the majority of the interior out and had a few problems getting the back interior piece out. The emergency brake handle was pretty rusted and it broke. Getting the engine out was also pretty difficult for me but ended up getting it. If i had it do it again i would probably have purchased larger jack stands. Being a cheap ass i opted to get the cheap harbor frieght small ones and it was somewhat of a hassle. I did get the rear rotors and calipers off prior to leaving and plan on painting them when i get back. I took the rotors in to get turned at Oreillys auto parts for $15/each and they came back looking brand new. Sweet! That was really the only service that i used thus far. Amy was pretty overwhelmed with wedding junk so she didnt make any progress any of the interior but its understandable.

Unrelated to the porsche the wedding was a blast. We did a destination wedding on a boat in florida and it was tons of fun. 100 guests for a destonation wedding was a little much but everything turned out really well. These are the only real photos that i have available at this point so sorry for not posting an official Porsche photo.

The keyboard here is also pretty funky making this post a little difficult but oh well. Im actually at a small little hotel on an island off the coast of colombia. The place has a monkey that has taken a strong liking to me for some odd reason. Maybe because i am about as hairy as him. Everytime my brother or anyone tries to take him off me he gets really mad and tries to bite them. Ha. This is my first time in Colombia and it is much much safer than i was expecting. everyone says its extremely dangerous and its just not true. Everyone here is just really friendly.

Once again really sorry for this type of post but thanks for understanding.

I have been trying to save the photo for a while and just figured it out. Alright thanks for understanding such a crappy porsche post.

Brett and Amy

Ha and adding photos of the misses from phone. Was impossible on the computer here.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 31 2015, 11:01 AM
Post #30

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Oct 31 2015, 09:48 AM) *

hello 914 crew! This post is going to be more brief than i would like because i am currently in colombia on a honeymoon and internet here is a bit scant. I havent made any progress since my last post because i got married in fort lauderdale and immediately left to go to Colombia.

For the progress on the car in the past month, i got the majority of the interior out and had a few problems getting the back interior piece out. The emergency brake handle was pretty rusted and it broke. Getting the engine out was also pretty difficult for me but ended up getting it. If i had it do it again i would probably have purchased larger jack stands. Being a cheap ass i opted to get the cheap harbor frieght small ones and it was somewhat of a hassle. I did get the rear rotors and calipers off prior to leaving and plan on painting them when i get back. I took the rotors in to get turned at Oreillys auto parts for $15/each and they came back looking brand new. Sweet! That was really the only service that i used thus far. Amy was pretty overwhelmed with wedding junk so she didnt make any progress any of the interior but its understandable.

Unrelated to the porsche the wedding was a blast. We did a destination wedding on a boat in florida and it was tons of fun. 100 guests for a destonation wedding was a little much but everything turned out really well. These are the only real photos that i have available at this point so sorry for not posting an official Porsche photo.

The keyboard here is also pretty funky making this post a little difficult but oh well. Im actually at a small little hotel on an island off the coast of colombia. The place has a monkey that has taken a strong liking to me for some odd reason. Maybe because i am about as hairy as him. Everytime my brother or anyone tries to take him off me he gets really mad and tries to bite them. Ha. This is my first time in Colombia and it is much much safer than i was expecting. everyone says its extremely dangerous and its just not true. Everyone here is just really friendly.

I have been trying to save the photo for a while and just figured it out. Alright thanks for understanding such a crappy porsche post.

Brett and Amy

Slacker... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Congratulations on the nupitals, sounds like a great memory.

BTW, it's unfortunate that you closed with "Brett and Amy" and then posted that pic underneath. People could get the wrong idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 31 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 31 2015, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Oct 31 2015, 09:48 AM) *

Brett and Amy

Slacker... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Congratulations on the nupitals, sounds like a great memory.

BTW, it's unfortunate that you closed with "Brett and Amy" and then posted that pic underneath. People could get the wrong idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Ya I think the monkey likes me more than she does.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 31 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #32

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Congrats!!! Enjoy your Honeymoon!
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 31 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Get back to your honeymoon job. The rust can wait.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 31 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

congrats enjoy
+Quote Post
rightpedal
post Jan 4 2016, 06:21 AM
Post #35

rightpeda;

Member No.: 19,133
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Saw the update about sawzal blades on the contest thread and I have thoughts. I do a lot of sawzal work and the only blade I use is the Milwaukee torch. They hold up really well. Look at my build thread all that was done with 3 blades. Part of your problem might be the Dewalt, They have notoriously sloppy blade holders. It shouldn't have any slop. The jig saw will provide more precision but will require a lot of patience. Given the nature of jig saws it will dull the blade quickly in the one little portion. If you don't have one you need to get a 4 1/2 angle grinder. Harbor freight has cut/grind/flap wheel combos that are a good intero pack.

Good luck with the project.

Steve
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jan 28 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brett, congrats on the marriage. Hope shes as much into cars as you appear to be - or should I say - going to be. Don't be discouraged by all the work, even if you're unfamiliar with it. If you continue to approach it as a learning experience, you'll come out the other side of the experience wanting to do more.

PS:I had a similar experience in Columbia years back in that it turned out to be a wonderful trip and the people were terrific. Not at all like the state department painted it.

Enjoy!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 31 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #37

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Tick Tock....
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Mar 3 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #38

Alright alright, so if you have read the front description the Porsche has been on hold, but not forgotten. We found out that Amy is pregnant basically when we landed from our honeymoon so lets just hope he comes out Colombian, brings some wrenches, and knows a thing or two about fixing cars. Jokes aside we are both very excited and have been spending the past couple months prepping for the baby. Planned doctors due date is 9/1 but im saying he due date 9/14 for the purpose of this thread.

Last, a friend I met at work said that I need to name the car and I started talking about it with amy and yes we both agree a name is necessary. Amy came up with Freude Fhart, which means Joy Ride in German. I like it! Any comments or thoughts here are appreciated as we have never named a car.

Alight onto the 914. Amy has started on the seats and she will explain below.

This is Amy,
I started to remove the seat covers by removing the old staples.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-19149-1456980803.1.jpg)
I was able to keep the bottom cushion and seat forms in tact, thankfully. I decided to wait until we got the new seat covers we ordered online before I completely removed the old covers.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-19149-1456980804.2.jpg)
Hopefully, I will be able to re-trace my steps and put the new ones on with ease! We are doing a buckskin and black theme on the new ones. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, I plan to remove the back pad covering and get started on that with a new kit that we bought. The back pad will be black and should match the seats really nicely.

This is Brett
I have gotten around to removing more cancerous rust and also have finished scraping off all of the rubber that was stuck to the bottom floor pans and i was pleasantly surprised with the quality of metal underneath.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-19149-1456980804.3.jpg)

I did find a few bad more rust spots that i wasn't really expecting next to the ebrake handle so now i will have to remove that as well.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-19149-1456980804.4.jpg)

There is some rust near the front and im not exactly positive how to address it. I can cut it out pretty easily but i dont think id be able to reweld a panel in very well so we will see.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-19149-1456980805.5.jpg)

Good news is that i have been practicing my welding and have gotten proficient enough to weld up two bikes.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-19149-1456980805.6.jpg)

Alright i will spend some more time replying to those who comment because i will begin throwing out lots of questions on this forum.

Questions:
Alright need some help here, what parts do i purchase for this 1 and 2?
Attached Image

Alright thanks everyone for checking out my post.

-Brett & Amy
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Mar 3 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(rightpedal @ Jan 4 2016, 05:21 AM) *

Saw the update about sawzal blades on the contest thread and I have thoughts. I do a lot of sawzal work and the only blade I use is the Milwaukee torch. They hold up really well. Look at my build thread all that was done with 3 blades. Part of your problem might be the Dewalt, They have notoriously sloppy blade holders. It shouldn't have any slop. The jig saw will provide more precision but will require a lot of patience. Given the nature of jig saws it will dull the blade quickly in the one little portion. If you don't have one you need to get a 4 1/2 angle grinder. Harbor freight has cut/grind/flap wheel combos that are a good intero pack.

Good luck with the project.

Steve

Ya i have had two blades that got stuck in that blade holder on that sawzall. A friend brought over some cutting wheels that attached to my grinder and my god that is the way to go. Thanks for the tip. Soo soo much easier. I feel like an idiot when i switch to something that works a million times better but oh well, all part of the process i suppose.

Thanks Steve for the info.
-Brett
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Mar 3 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(3d914 @ Jan 28 2016, 05:59 PM) *

Brett, congrats on the marriage. Hope shes as much into cars as you appear to be - or should I say - going to be. Don't be discouraged by all the work, even if you're unfamiliar with it. If you continue to approach it as a learning experience, you'll come out the other side of the experience wanting to do more.

PS:I had a similar experience in Columbia years back in that it turned out to be a wonderful trip and the people were terrific. Not at all like the state department painted it.

Enjoy!

So soo true. I get frustrated all the time but yes I really need treat this as a learning experience. Ya colombia was awesome.. food was great and cheap, everyone was really nice, and weather was pleasant.

She is getting more into it but certainly a learning experience for her too. The first semester of the pregnancy, was pretty slow going as one would expect, but were both back at full energy now.

-Brett
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:06 PM