Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ex BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Brett's 914, Questions on metal prep
JoeDees
post Mar 3 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

#1 is the Inner Wheelhouse Restoration Design part #PP331
#2 is the Rear Floor Jack Point RD part #PP342
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Mar 7 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #42

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thank you Dirty Cossack for the help. Parts are on order!

Luckily my friends here in Denver realized how much money was being diverted away from the Porsche and offered to step in and donate about $2k of baby stuff.
Attached Image
Yes it doesn't look like $2k but have you guys seen the price of some of this shit. I can get like 2 whole seat kits from 914 Rubber for the price of half of a car seat. Or one stroller for the same cost as and Inner Wheelhouse from RD. Easy choice in my book but others may disagree.

Last, i saw a real garage for the first time in my life. Sad to say but it has taken 31 years to appreciate a well laid out and finely tuned man workshop. I wont go into specifics on this one, but suffice to say my dad was more into the outdoors than in, so I hadn't spent much time in a garage until I was blessed with a 914.
Thanks to user "grantjd" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) who motivated me to spend some time on my workshop to make it more comfortable while I'm out there. So, put up insulation on Sunday and started in on drywall tonight. Really looking good and am excited to get this cave finally in order.
Attached Image

Alright not much progress has been made on the Porsche but figured i would give a shop update.

-Brett
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 8 2016, 06:01 AM
Post #43

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Nope shop space is more important than the car. A great environment helps you build a great car. It does not need to be fancy, not being cold or hot goes a long way. Having good lighting goes a really long way. Just be aware you are on a slippery slope when you start looking at the comfort of your environment.

Most off enjoy your garage / shop. It can be a place to bond with friends, solve a domestic problem, or as simple as building a bike with your kids, and painting it the way they want.

+Quote Post
Darren C
post Mar 8 2016, 06:15 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

$2K….This is just the beginning Brett, :-)
Overall the basic cost of raising a child in the UK from birth to the age of 21 has increased by 63 per cent since 2003, when the survey was first carried out, to £229,251 ($326,000) at present. It has risen by just under £2,000 ($2850) in the last year alone, almost twice the current rate of inflation.
That said I wouldn’t change it for the world. Kids are the most important things in life. You and Amy are at the start of a most wonderful journey. Make the most of them while they’re young, you’ll be surprised how quickly time passes.
Congratulations to you both.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Mar 8 2016, 10:33 PM
Post #45

Tonight RNellums swung by and helped me identify some next steps. I took a break from cleaning and fixing up the garage to remove the rear right trailing arm and also got the original back pad off. Fortunately everything looked pretty decent on the trailing arm and the back metal, except by the e-brake. But that was to be expected.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Back at the garage this week and hoping to make a workbench like this one.
Attached Image
My plan is to use reclaimed 2x4's from the previous owners workbench. You cant see too much of it but it is in the left corner.
Attached Image
The previous homeowner was one hell of a woodworker so i would have expected a little more, but maybe he took the other workbench with him.

Alright off to bed,
-Brett
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Mar 14 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #46

Just a quick Garagin' update with mainly photos.

Amy and I spent the last week/weekend in the garage kickin names and takin ass. I've been off the sauce since 3/1 and while boring, its been productive as ever. We got the south wall done and built some shelves that make storing shit a hell of a lot easier and convenient. Workbench isnt quite finished yet but in progress.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Moved to the North wall and got 64sf done with another ~64sf remaining. Once done (should be this weekend), organizing is priority 1 and then back at the 914!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Yep that's my pregnant beauty with the gun in her hand. After a comment on her workmanship, I took 4 shots to the back but I was able to walk it off with relatively little bleeding. Boy am I glad I went with the 1/4" staples and not the 1/2"!
Attached Image

Alright enjoy some photos and wish me continued motivation! If any of you are wondering Clausthaler has been the most enjoyable NA beer I have sampled of the past 14 days.

Happy Saint Pats and will someone enjoy a Guinness for me! In Honor of Ol' Saint Pats, here is Amy and I at Cliffs of Mohr 2 years ago.
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 16 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Mar 15 2016, 12:39 AM) *

Just a quick Garagin' update with mainly photos.

Amy and I spent the last week/weekend in the garage kickin names and takin ass. I've been off the sauce since 3/1 and while boring, its been productive as ever. We got the south wall done and built some shelves that make storing shit a hell of a lot easier and convenient. Workbench isnt quite finished yet but in progress.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Moved to the North wall and got 64sf done with another ~64sf remaining. Once done (should be this weekend), organizing is priority 1 and then back at the 914!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Yep that's my pregnant beauty with the gun in her hand. After a comment on her workmanship, I took 4 shots to the back but I was able to walk it off with relatively little bleeding. Boy am I glad I went with the 1/4" staples and not the 1/2"!
Attached Image

Alright enjoy some photos and wish me continued motivation! If any of you are wondering Clausthaler has been the most enjoyable NA beer I have sampled of the past 14 days.

Happy Saint Pats and will someone enjoy a Guinness for me! In Honor of Ol' Saint Pats, here is Amy and I at Cliffs of Mohr 2 years ago.
Attached ImageAttached Image

We were told when we visited there that every year many people fall from those cliffs while posing, playing and who knows what else.
Glad you survived.
Great progress on your car, your garage and your marriage.
Keep up the good work.
Happy St. Pattys Day !
Rory
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 25 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #48

I installed the bracket that will host the jack to lift the car above the square of the stand so that i can cut and weld away panels. Here are some photos.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 26 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Having kids changes your perspective on life more than any other thing. Hope you all have good times together whether it is car related time or not. Cool to see you back in the garage, looking forward to seeing you replace that long! :-)
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 19 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #50

Welding is Completed!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Rear Left sideAttached Image
Left sideAttached Image
Right side battery trayAttached Image
Right rearAttached Image
right rear fenderAttached Image
Bottom rear panAttached ImageR
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jan 19 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Making progress....great job.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 28 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #52

I recently purchased an EZ30D engine and transmission and have a few questions regarding next steps. I pulled the motor from a LL bean subaru at the junkyard so dont have the mileage. The transmission is from a 5 speed forester.

My questions are as follows:

Mount
- I am having trouble finding a mount/cradle from coldwater or anywhere online. Is it a bad idea to fabricate my own given the increased hp?
- Are there other alternatives for mounting

Engine
- Is the best approach to just rebuild the engine before putting it in?
- Is cost to rebuild about $300? Saw seal kits and bearings for this but not sure if there is anything else i need
- Can I do some testing on the engine to make sure it's good?
- Check compression on each cylinders?
- Check valve lash?
- Use a camera to look inside cylinders?

Electrical
- Are there any other accessory type items we need from the Subaru?
- Anything from the dash
- PCM stuff?

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
hockeymutt
post Jan 28 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 9,388

Yea I'm in the same boat! I need a cradle asap! I found someone that would replicate anything I brought to him I just need to get my hands on one and Ian won't respond to anything. He really needs to take his site down.

Have found someone that has done this conversion but never made it to public that has everything figured out( trans mounts, engine mounts, and clutch) the only issue I have with his mounting system is I can't use the stock exhaust.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 28 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would love make these but never was able to get anything for a sample.. I think if someone made a wooden mock up I could make one out of steel (re cradle)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 28 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #55

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

Brett, don't rebuild the motor, is cheaper and faster just to get another one from the boneyard. (Most junkyards have a 30 day return policy for bad motors, so we need to get cooking on the wiring!).

You can check compression, but you'll need to have a started hooked up to get a decent measurement. You can look at the clyinders through the spark plugs holes (I have an endoscope that fits in a micro USB you can borrow).

Don't need anything electrical from the car besides and ECU and the wiring harnesses from the engine side and ECU side. What year was the LL BEAN (It matters for wiring).
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 28 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #56

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

Stick with the hydraulic clutch. After looking back at your photos some more looks like you have almost everything you need. Now you just need someone to.come with it for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You'll still need the flywheel and clutch that mates with the transmission.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 28 2018, 10:02 PM
Post #57

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Make it yourself. Doesn't matter what it looks like. Round tubing is simple to work with. IIRC, 10ft of 1.5" .095 Chromoly is what I used . Using a wooden mock up as described above and a cheap $99 Harbor Freight bender. The HF bender will Bust a Gut bending Chromoly, but will work, Just a series of small bends creating the Arc you need to go from rear mounts to front mounts The crossmember will be very close to the exhaust opening on the heads. Work around that and your home free. There are a few build threads here showing some different cradles, mounts, etc. Post lots of pics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 28 2018, 11:08 PM
Post #58

Sweet i will make myself available if you get a night free to come lend a hand. My friend who i got the motor with is also excited to learn the process as he is starting his own garage.

Have the ECU and believe most all harnesses. will take photos and upload them.

Subaru Outback 2001 VIN 4S3BH806817624691.

Congrats on the wedding!

Brett

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 28 2018, 08:14 PM) *

Brett, don't rebuild the motor, is cheaper and faster just to get another one from the boneyard. (Most junkyards have a 30 day return policy for bad motors, so we need to get cooking on the wiring!).

You can check compression, but you'll need to have a started hooked up to get a decent measurement. You can look at the clyinders through the spark plugs holes (I have an endoscope that fits in a micro USB you can borrow).

Don't need anything electrical from the car besides and ECU and the wiring harnesses from the engine side and ECU side. What year was the LL BEAN (It matters for wiring).

+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 28 2018, 11:09 PM
Post #59

I like the sound of this, i have seen a decent number of them on here so have a rough idea of what to do. And will take lots of photos.

Thanks for the advice!
-Brett

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 28 2018, 09:02 PM) *

Make it yourself. Doesn't matter what it looks like. Round tubing is simple to work with. IIRC, 10" of 1.5" .095 Chromoly is what I used . Using a wooden mock up as described above and a cheap $99 Harbor Freight bender. The HF bender will Bust a Gut bending Chromoly, but will work, Just a series of small bends crating the Arc you need to go from rear mounts to front mounts The crossmember will be very close to the exhaust opening on the heads. Work around that and your home free. There are a few few build threads here showing some different cradles, mounts, etc. Post lots of pics. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 28 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #60

Junkyard find or should i buy something newer? Working at the junkyard was quite a good time. There were a bunch of subarus to scavange.
-Brett

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 28 2018, 08:18 PM) *

Stick with the hydraulic clutch. After looking back at your photos some more looks like you have almost everything you need. Now you just need someone to.come with it for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You'll still need the flywheel and clutch that mates with the transmission.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:48 AM