Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ex BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Brett's 914, Questions on metal prep
rnellums
post Jan 29 2018, 07:13 AM
Post #61

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Jan 28 2018, 10:11 PM) *

Junkyard find or should i buy something newer? Working at the junkyard was quite a good time. There were a bunch of subarus to scavange.
-Brett

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 28 2018, 08:18 PM) *

Stick with the hydraulic clutch. After looking back at your photos some more looks like you have almost everything you need. Now you just need someone to.come with it for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You'll still need the flywheel and clutch that mates with the transmission.

Which yard did you go to?

I would buy new, and honestly, would think about getting a slightly lighter flywheel. I have been wanting to swap mine for a lightened one for a while!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 29 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #62

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Member No.: 19,149

upullandpay near washington and 70th.

saw this on ebay. Would i just search for subaru 5spd clutch and lightweight flywheel. Anything else specific that i should get? The trans came off a forester and ebay link says impreza/wrx if that matters.

-Brett

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 29 2018, 06:13 AM) *

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Jan 28 2018, 10:11 PM) *

Junkyard find or should i buy something newer? Working at the junkyard was quite a good time. There were a bunch of subarus to scavange.
-Brett

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 28 2018, 08:18 PM) *

Stick with the hydraulic clutch. After looking back at your photos some more looks like you have almost everything you need. Now you just need someone to.come with it for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You'll still need the flywheel and clutch that mates with the transmission.

Which yard did you go to?

I would buy new, and honestly, would think about getting a slightly lighter flywheel. I have been wanting to swap mine for a lightened one for a while!

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 29 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #63

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Shouldn't be if it's early 2000's. The only difference will be the 4:11's vs 3:90. You'll have a great Hi Way cruiser.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Feb 4 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #64

Spent the super bowl working on the seats seat and i get frustrated with myself for getting frustrated. I working painstakingly slow and one would expect my outcome to be comparable to a perfectionist.... but its not. Anyway spent an hour and got the back of one seat done. I had to screw some of the hooks back onto the "bone" of the seat. I will be adding seat heaters to these seats.

Screws going into hooks. I used #4-40x3/8" and i may have to grind off the lip on the back end.
Attached Image

First side down and hooks are in!
Attached Image

Both sides down.
Attached Image

And the completion of the bottom pads with seat heaters.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 5 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #65

Looks great! May I make a suggestion? While your at it, throw in some heated seats. Your running at least a 150A alternator and they can be had for < $70 pr. Plus you live in CO and could really use those. They come compete with relays and switches. I remember being in AZ when it was 29F with those heated seats. My engine and wife were both purring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 5 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #66

Looks great! May I make a suggestion? While your at it, throw in some heated seats. Your running at least a 150A alternator and they can be had for < $70 pr. Plus you live in CO and could really use those. They come compete with relays and switches. I remember being in AZ when it was 29F with those heated seats. My engine and wife were both purring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 5 2018, 09:38 AM
Post #67

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2018, 10:35 AM) *

I'm pretty sure I got a kit from ebay. 2 seats, top and bottom, $40.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Feb 5 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #68

Yep have the heated seat kits and put in the bottom pads so far. Need to do the back pad but this is a must!

-Brett

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2018, 08:35 AM) *

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 5 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #69

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Feb 5 2018, 10:53 AM) *

Yep have the heated seat kits and put in the bottom pads so far. Need to do the back pad but this is a must!

-Brett

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2018, 08:35 AM) *

At the point on mine that I have to sew the center back pad around the cardboard stiffeners, just not sure how I'm going to do it.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Feb 5 2018, 11:20 AM
Post #70

Ya not sure myself. I saw in the master seat upholstery post the guys used zip ties. so may try that.

Also i ran into an issue with the foam headrest breaking apart when i was removing it from the seat. I used spray adhesive to get it back together and am hoping that will hold it. Photos forthcoming.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 5 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #71

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(brettrarnold @ Feb 5 2018, 12:20 PM) *

Ya not sure myself. I saw in the master seat upholstery post the guys used zip ties. so may try that.

Also i ran into an issue with the foam headrest breaking apart when i was removing it from the seat. I used spray adhesive to get it back together and am hoping that will hold it. Photos forthcoming.

I meant the rectangular ones that are about 18" long.

There are lots of old seat cores to borrow parts from if the headrest doesn't hold together. talk to bruce stone/bedstone or Garold or who ever is your local parts hoarder.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 5 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2018, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2018, 10:35 AM) *

I'm pretty sure I got a kit from ebay. 2 seats, top and bottom, $40.

Me too. Just didn't want to undersell or guys. On eBay they wanted $60. They had a make offer price. I did and paid $45. You 2 guys really need these and they work sooooooo well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
GenosYourGarage
post Feb 8 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 21,857

New to the forum and wanted to say hello/ask a quick question for Brett's build. I'm a good friend of Brett's and will be helping him when I can for his 914 build. I don't have much experience with the 914's, but I have done some conversion work in the past and love to learn new things.

On to the question:

I was looking at flywheel/clutch kit options for the 04' Forester 5MT we brought home from the salvage yard. I just wanted to be certain that Brett can buy the flywheel/clutch kit that fits the 04' forester and it will bolt up to the 01' Outback H6. If so, I think we are going to get that coming along with a engine gasket set (upper and lower). Then we will have some things to work on.
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Feb 19 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #74

So i started in on replacing the gaskets on the ez30 subaru engine and holy shit im learning a ton. Got her up on an engine stand and i watched a youtube video of a guy that did this project without taking it out of a subaru. gives me a new respect for those that attempt it.

Step 1 of 2,600: Got her up on the engine stand
(yes we all felt accomplished so we sat around patting each others backs for the next 40 minutes)
Attached Image

got one side off
Attached Image

removed cover to expose timing chain
Attached Image

removed exhaust on each end
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jul 17 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #75

Questions for the 914 community.

1st my wife is laughing at me as it has been a year or so since i posted. Apparently no burglars wanted to break in, fix the porsche, and drive off in a sports car.... i even left the keys in the ignition, c'mon!
Attached Image
  1. How do i clean the rotors with the bearing in them?Attached ImageAttached Image
  2. How do I remove the transaxle from the rear trailing arm?Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 17 2019, 09:33 PM
Post #76

914-6 GT in waiting

Remove cotter pin from castle nut (nut inside of rear hub). Use an impact wrench to remove castle nut. If you don't have an impact gun, borrow or buy one. You will wonder how you ever got along without it. If you really don't want to make it easy on yourself, use a long breaker bar on the castle nut and a pretty good size pipe wrench to hold the axle.

The impact wrench will also work great on the top nut of the front struts. The pipe wrench will work well to remove the top cap on the strut body.

Good to see you back on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 19 2019, 06:45 AM
Post #77

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 19 2019, 08:01 AM
Post #78

Drive the bearings and races out with a large socket and replace with new bearings and seals. They're cheap. Be sure to mic that rotor to check min thickness. BTW, that engine looks clean. No sludge buildup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jul 22 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #79

Got the castle nut off using the impact gun!! Too EASY! Thanks

Haven't done the bearings yet but thanks for the tip. Will do that tonight.

Nice to hear my engine doesn't have much sludge. I had the head gaskets replaced, new timing chain, and a number of other components replaced from Dave @ Simply Subaru's. It too was also very reasonable. I am a little nervous about the first time starting it up though. But as you all know that is probably a year or two out.

My seats got finished and i think they really came out nice. Dominick @ Monaco Auto Trim in Englewood CO was awesome to work with and cheap!
BeforeAttached Image
AfterAttached Image

Thanks for all the feedback and help!
-Brett
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 22 2019, 11:59 AM
Post #80

I'm surprised he sourced the chains. I couldn't find them or the oilers but mine seemed in good shape. I've heard stories of these EZ30's turning 300,000 miles with proper care. Seats look great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
EDIT: you can open up those headers at the merge and pick up a little umph. There is a lot of meat in that area.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 10:10 AM