Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Olympic Blue Resurrection, More Winter projects.
914forme
post Oct 5 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #21

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

And I will Say the 914LTD log kit is a great item. Even if you don't have log issues they stiffen the chassis up significantly. I love the set I aded to my car. I think it does more than the Engmann kit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 5 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Got some more paint on it. finished the undersides. Everything no one will see. Just trying to get good with a spray gun.

all the undersides, inner fenders, under the trunks etc. got two coats of Rust Bullet. I like this stuff because it is hard as a rock. I didn't put it on any rusty metal like they say you can though. I blasted and sanded everything first. the two coats go on about 2-4 hours apart then the next day I would hit it with two coats of epoxy primer and two coats of urethane. I used PPG paint for the epoxy and PPG JAU for the color.

Same for the interior and engine compartment. all these surfaces have 6 coats of paint on them now.

Just got the underside of the pan and the engine compartment finished in epoxy and color today. I still have to reshoot the rear trunk because I burned up the paint there welding in the rear sway bar mounts.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

What a pain lying on your back spraying with the car literally 12 inches from your face. The rotisserie would be REALLY nice....

Guess I have to start working on the fenders again..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 5 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

It looks great. I always love to see fresh paint go on. I makes me imagine that must have been how it looked coming off of the assembly line.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 6 2015, 06:38 AM
Post #24

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Oct 6 2015, 06:46 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Subscibe
+Quote Post
francar
post Oct 11 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 9,041

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/309.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 16 2015, 12:10 PM
Post #27

Big setback today....

There is a guy I spoke with last week about plastic media blasting the doors, F+ R trunk lids and my spare roof.

So I got my parts out of the storage facility and stripped everything out of the doors. and off the roof. Loaded them up in the truck and thought I would call before I drove down there.
He tells me he is going out of town for a job and won't be back until the 2nd week of November. DAMN DAMN DAMN. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I made a bunch of calls and couldn't find anyone else in the Pittsburgh area that does this. found a guy that does soda but he is mobile and has do it at your place.

that really won't work for me, and I am not real interested in the water that they use to clean off the soda.

Guess I just wait until he gets back. and the weather gets colder by the day here. not great for painting.

its not like I don't have other things too work on, it just screws up the plan... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Rant over..
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 19 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #28

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Oct 16 2015, 12:10 PM) *

Big setback today....

There is a guy I spoke with last week about plastic media blasting the doors, F+ R trunk lids and my spare roof.

So I got my parts out of the storage facility and stripped everything out of the doors. and off the roof. Loaded them up in the truck and thought I would call before I drove down there.
He tells me he is going out of town for a job and won't be back until the 2nd week of November. DAMN DAMN DAMN. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I made a bunch of calls and couldn't find anyone else in the Pittsburgh area that does this. found a guy that does soda but he is mobile and has do it at your place.

that really won't work for me, and I am not real interested in the water that they use to clean off the soda.

Guess I just wait until he gets back. and the weather gets colder by the day here. not great for painting.

its not like I don't have other things too work on, it just screws up the plan... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Rant over..

Paint looks fantastic and the engine work you are doing is amazing. Love that light blue color. Am currently trying to decide whether or not to paint my car. It has a custom paintjob that I love but since I have to cut into the body so not sure matching the existing paint color will possible.

How much do you anticipate it costing to paint it yourself?

-Brett
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 10 2015, 08:17 AM
Post #29

Still doing body work on the Pass side fenders. not much to show there.

Picked up some parts from the powder coaters, more stuff no one will see.

Attached Image

Attached Image

On the seat mounts I had to devise a way to remove the spring for the tilt mechanism, This is what I came up with. It worked good for both disassembly and reassembly, without damaging my new powder coat.

I put a couple screws in to hold the seat mount and the turnbuckle worked beautifully to pull the spring so I could drive in the pin...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And finished.....

Yeah, I had the tilt levers CHROMED... a good friend runs a chrome shop. I couldn't help myself...

Attached Image

Like I said, More stuff no one will see....
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Nov 10 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Looking good Tom!

Just a quick bit of advice. I did exactly like you and had my seat runners powder coated. I fitted them back in my car and then put the seats back in only to find they jammed up solid. I then had to figure a way to get at the runners to unbolt them off the floor still stuck to the seats so I could flip over the seats and drift the runners off with a hammer and block of wood.
My advice is take the 2 runners off the base of the seats and check them on your newly powder coated frames before you've fitted them in the car and got the seats stuck!
I had to sand down the mating surfaces of the powder coat to get them to slide easy before I put it all back in the car.

Good luck. (They do look nice)

regards
Darren
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 10 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Darren C @ Nov 10 2015, 05:22 PM) *

Looking good Tom!

Just a quick bit of advice. I did exactly like you and had my seat runners powder coated. I fitted them back in my car and then put the seats back in only to find they jammed up solid. I then had to figure a way to get at the runners to unbolt them off the floor still stuck to the seats so I could flip over the seats and drift the runners off with a hammer and block of wood.
My advice is take the 2 runners off the base of the seats and check them on your newly powder coated frames before you've fitted them in the car and got the seats stuck!
I had to sand down the mating surfaces of the powder coat to get them to slide easy before I put it all back in the car.

Good luck. (They do look nice)

regards
Darren

Thanks for the heads up... I did have to ream out the tilt arm bushings because of the chrome, but hadn't thought about the seat runners.

+Quote Post
dangerranger01
post Nov 24 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4,578

Updates? Love this build so much....
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 27 2015, 12:43 PM
Post #33

Started doing the bodywork on the Pass side, Trying to get out there on the warmer days. easier to heat up the shed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then I got a pretty nasty cut across the knuckle of my right hand middle finger. took 7 stiches to close.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Slowed me down a little, was supposed to have a brace on it for 2 weeks.... I didn't think about how much you use that finger. other than for waving at foolish motorists.

anyways every time I started working with it. I would open it back up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I know excuses are like assholes.....

but in spite of that I did get a couple things accomplished..

stripped the old bearings / races out of my hubs and bead blasted them.

Attached Image

and installed my Elephant Racing rubber bushings in to my front control arms. Not as easy as in the video ( especially with this finger ) but still went pretty smoothly.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Question on the torsion bars, do the L /R markings go in front or in back?

Vendors

I took advantage of 914 Rubbers Black Friday sale and put in an order, even though I won't need the stuff for a little while. price ~ 500

I sent my front A calipers to PMB for a rebuild, and ordered the rest of my brake needs price ~ 2000

Hope to get these damn stiches out in time for Pennsylvania Deer hunting on Monday.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Later..
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 20 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #34

Time for an update to this.

the bodywork is coming along.

front fender shaping up.

from this.

Attached Image

to this, the flares are very subtle. I like the way its turning out
Still not perfect though

Attached Image

and the rear quarter is shaping up also. this is just rough shaping.

from this angle you can see how much it flares out. I'll be fitting 8'" Fuchs under here.

still working on getting the fender lips right though.

Attached Image

Along the way I am accumulating a lot of body work tools

Attached Image

a bunch of Dura blocks and soft blocks

Attached Image

and a shitload of sandpaper.

Attached Image

too bad the tools don't have magic built into them. you still have to know how to do it.

I am sure a lot of experienced bodymen could do a better job with kitchen utensils though.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 20 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #35

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Great progress on the bodywork!

I find I spent most of my time with a flexible/firm 17" board. Occasionally you grab the 6" block or a small roll to get the narrow spots.

You definitely have the tools to do the job now!
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 20 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #36

with the cold weather I am now working on some mechanicals.
stuff I am more comfortable with.

went to put on the turbo tie rod ends and found out that the one side steering rack bushing was really stuck on there. looks like some moisture got in there and rusted it up ( Imagine that, Rust. )

Attached Image

after a bunch of PB blaster, and a soak in kerosene, I decided to try a little heat.
after carefully heating up the rack rod, and some persuasion with a deadblow hammer, not wanting to ruin the NLA end bushings I finally got it to move off the rack. the lathe and some emery cloth to polish the rack helped a lot.

Attached Image

Attached Image

It cleaned up pretty nicely, also put the emery cloth to the rack end bushings.

Attached Image

it all looks good now. just waiting on the bearings I ordered to come in and I can put every thing back together.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 20 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Don't do too good of a job on the body work, or all of your 914 friends will want to "un-retire" you!!

Great job you are doing!!!!
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jan 20 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 20 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Don't do too good of a job on the body work, or all of your 914 friends will want to "un-retire" you!!

Retirement is great... I don't know how I ever had time to work.

Funny though, you think it looks good and then shoot another coat of primer and all the flaws just jump right out at you....

almost makes me dread putting color on it..
+Quote Post
JTdevine
post Jan 20 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 16,435
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Jan 20 2016, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 20 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Retirement is great... I don't know how I ever had time to work.

Funny though, you think it looks good and then shoot another coat of primer and all the flaws just jump right out at you....

almost makes me dread putting color on it..

Looks like your are doing a good job. Just wanted to mention using guide coat when you sand that way it will show you all the low spots, ive been a bodyman and painter for many years and still use it.good luck, and take your time.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 21 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #40

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Alright, another bodyman on the board. Oh, your build is looking great, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:51 PM