Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Creamsicle, Extreme Budget Makeover of Daily Driver LE
poorsche914
post Oct 1 2015, 09:23 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

HISTORY: purchased in spring 2010

Advertised on the Asheville area Craigslist, the pictures of this '74 914 were extremely low res and blurry. I emailed the seller asking for more info and clearer photos. He never responded with anything useful except for the VIN which fell in the range of Can Am production. Hard to tell any details but I could see it was a white car (more on that later) with no sail vinyl. Hmmm... could it be?

Attached Image

I had a '75 2.0 with an interested buyer. Better than that, he procurred both a tow vehicle AND a trailer and volunteered to drive me the 3+ hours to view the '74. The deal was... if I bought the '74, he would buy my '75.

We headed to the northwest section of North Carolina and met the seller. At this point the 914 was stored in a metal outbuilding. After removing boxes and other stuff, we rolled the dusty, dirty car out into the lawn. I did a quick check and my suspicions were correct... a possible LE! I spied bits of orange hiding behind the white on the wheels and the bumpers. A quick check under the front end showed the air dam mounting tabs. OK, time to deal!

Attached Image

The 914 had definitely seen better days. The engine had a mismatch of FI parts, the longs (and elsewhere) were rusty, the entire car had been painted white (bumpers, wheels, trim, etc). To top it off, a custom wing fabricated from a Trans Am unit had been mounted to the rear deck lid. All this had been done nearly 20 years earlier when the owner was 17 years old. He parked it when he and his friends realized it just wasn't big enough for everyone to cruise around in.

Attached Image

My offer was his absolute minimum so the deal was made. The 914 was loaded up and we headed back to Tennessee. Once home, the '74 was unloaded and the '75 loaded onto the trailer. I actually made a little money on this deal but went from a running 914 to a non-runner in need of a lot of work. But... I now owned a Creamsicle!

Attached Image

To be cont'd...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

PS: found THIS THREAD from when I first bought it
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 1 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #2

T4 Supercharged

FIVE YEARS LATER...

The past five years have seen work done on the suspension, brakes, and engine (see this thread) along with some shoddy bodywork.

YEAR ONE: Found out my interior was originally cinnamon but dyed black (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Sorted out FI system and finally got the engine running in the fall 2010. Here is a THREAD discussing some of that. And another one.

YEAR TWO: After running almost exactly 1000 miles, the original engine spun a main bearing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) This was in spring 2011.
The search began for a replacement. During the summer, I located a short block with transaxle somewhere north of Knoxville. No history on the engine. Didn't even know if it would run. But the price was right and I bought it.
I installed the engine and actually drove it 1500+ miles roundtrip to MUSR12 in Hot Springs, AR in the fall 2011. Ran strong even if it smoked a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

YEARS THREE thru FIVE: Been a daily drive ever since though it now smokes quite a bit more and uses oil at an alarming rate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Aug 2012 - refurbed suspension, brakes, etc and cleaned up engine (see thread)
Won "Jack Stand Award" at Okteenerfest 2013 - OK, Ok... time to fix some things.
Some shoddy bodywork and paint was done (by a "professional") over winter 2013-14. It's a 20-footer for sure.
Added the "phoenix red" to bumpers, air dam, rockers in fall 2014 in time for Okteenerfest 2014.
Did almost nothing to it during 2015 and it shows (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

THE PLANS:
1. Got a Raby 2056 with dual 44s in the works. It's been a long time coming but I should have the RAT engine sometime this fall (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
2. Before I install the new engine, I need to do some rust/paint work in the engine bay. The hell hole needs attention for sure. Figure I might as well take care of the rear trunk area while I am at it.
3. Interior needs major attention. I plan on stripping the paint, treating the rust, metal repair as needed, and then install new carpet, etc
4. The front end... old accident damage that was improperly repaired needs to be done correctly. Not sure if I am ready to tackle that just yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
5. Wheels - need to be stripped and painted Phoenix Red

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Oct 1 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Steve- unless you do the wheels yourself plan on spending @ least $2K refinishing the wheels alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) If you are looking to save money remember this: phoenix red = Chevy hugger orange or Chevy engine block orange, color wise. Below is a pic of my unrestored, unmolested spare w/ an original OEM Dunlop SP for reference-

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 2 2015, 06:17 AM
Post #4

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 2 2015, 12:22 AM) *

Steve- unless you do the wheels yourself plan on spending @ least $2K refinishing the wheels alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) If you are looking to save money remember this: phoenix red = Chevy hugger orange or Chevy engine block orange, color wise. Below is a pic of my unrestored, unmolested spare w/ an original OEM Dunlop SP for reference-

Thanks, Al.
Will do them myself. I have found Rustoleum Lobster Red is a perfect match as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 2 2015, 06:25 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Very cool. How rare was / is the cinnamon internior?
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 2 2015, 06:34 AM
Post #6

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 2 2015, 08:25 AM) *

The cinnamon interior is not easy to find in good condition nowadays and as far as I know, it is unavailable in the aftermarket. Not sure how rare it was during production. I have seen photos of several Creamsicles with the cinnamon interior.

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Oct 2 2015, 06:49 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 2 2015, 08:17 AM) *

Thanks, Al.
Will do them myself. I have found Rustoleum Lobster Red is a perfect match as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When I did the wheels on my six, I used a rope for a nice, clean, round seam along the outside painted border w/ the polished lip. I also taped off the lug holes to prevent future flaking when you go about messing w/ the lugs. It's a boatload of prep work per wheel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 2 2015, 08:25 AM) *

Rare. Only Creamsicles occasionally got the cinnamon interior, no Bumblebees. I'd GUESS @ the very most, 1 out of every 5 Creamsicles got "cinnamoned", but like I said that's just a guess. Most came w/ the black interior. I've personally seen 3, including my own.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 2 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #8

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Nice score, can't wait. Ha, its the only time you will ever be excited about having a Rat in your car is when the engine is from RAT. Enjoy because that will be one nice running engine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Oct 2 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #9

The car is much simpler to shoot compared to the wheels. Remove the bumpers, rockers, spoiler & rear valence & shoot them phoenix red. Shoot the whole car in ivory white- done.
The wheels have to have all the holes blocked off from behind, lug holes perfectly taped off, center cap hole painted silver & round, the outside rim painted silver & round. This has to be done to all 5 rims. I have 2 complete sets of rims, one w/ skinny tires for show & one w/ fat tires for driving; this is how I know so damned much about creamsicle wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 2 2015, 08:43 AM
Post #10

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 2 2015, 09:59 AM) *
... The wheels have to have all the holes blocked off from behind, lug holes perfectly taped off, center cap hole painted silver & round, the outside rim painted silver & round. This has to be done to all 5 rims. I have 2 complete sets of rims, one w/ skinny tires for show & one w/ fat tires for driving; this is how I know so damned much about creamsicle wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Well, then... I know who to call when I am ready to redo my wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Oct 2 2015, 08:52 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 2 2015, 10:43 AM) *

Well, then... I know who to call when I am ready to redo my wheels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
If I can, I'll help.
+Quote Post
914work
post Oct 2 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,762

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 1 2015, 08:25 PM) *
<snip>YEAR ONE: Found out my interior was originally cinnamon but dyed black (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)<snip>

Curious, How did you find out , COA?
As it relates to the motor, if you did get the COA was the motor original to the car?
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 2 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #13

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 2 2015, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 1 2015, 08:25 PM) *
<snip>YEAR ONE: Found out my interior was originally cinnamon but dyed black (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)<snip>
Curious, How did you find out , COA?
As it relates to the motor, if you did get the COA was the motor original to the car?

The case to the original motor that was in the car when I bought it is no longer usable so COA proof is moot at this point. Jake described the damage as a "collapsed main" and said it could not be used for the rebuild. I found a good 1.8 case to be used for the build.

No COA yet to verify but no reason to think the interior had been swapped. The dye job was amateur, to say the least...
If anyone knows of a way to remove the dye without harming the vinyl, let me know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) The original seats are actually in pretty decent shape.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 3 2015, 04:34 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Interesting. I've never seen that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Maybe Jeff knows the number of cars with that option.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Dec 1 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #15

T4 Supercharged

Nothing major has happened with my project until today... my Raby 2056 has arrived!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 1 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #16

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

Whoooo, the primo engine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

You will have fun driving with that!

John
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Dec 1 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #17

That engine looks like pure fun!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Dec 1 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,179

Awesome! I can't wait to see/hear it.
Congrats Steve!
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Feb 22 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #19

T4 Supercharged

Gathering up the items needed to install my 2056.
Carter Fuel Pump (ebay purchase) arrived today.

Attached Image

Engine install to take place Saturday, March 5 if you would like to join the fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
PM me for more info.

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 22 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #20

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Looks like "Extreme Budget" became "EXTREME BUDGET"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:41 AM