Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MalloryUnilite Review @ Question, Can it get better???
catsltd
post Oct 6 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,814
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JimN to do i73 @ Oct 6 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Make sure that the coil you use is a 1.5 ohm coil. Bosch Blue coils and others generally used for other distributors are 3 ohm coils and will fry your Mallory on a stormy March afternoon during rush hour.

I run a 3-ohm Petronix.

That way I dont need a ballist resister in line.
At least that what I have read is the proper way to do it.??
Hope thats correct.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Oct 6 2015, 06:02 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 6 2015, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Oct 6 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Make sure that the coil you use is a 1.5 ohm coil. Bosch Blue coils and others generally used for other distributors are 3 ohm coils and will fry your Mallory on a stormy March afternoon during rush hour.

Our experience has been that Bosch blue coils are the best choice with a Mallory Distr.

My ignition module is #605. Must be different from the one you use.

Here's the bit from the installation instructions.

Replacement UNILITE module. For all MALLORY UNILITE distributors, and Conversion Kits. Requires a 1.4ohms Ballast resistor, Loom resistor, or internally resisted coil. Also can replace the ACCEL Point Eliminator kit module.
Replacement UNILITE module. For all MALLORY UNILITE distributors, and Conversion Kits. Requires a 1.4ohms Ballast resistor, Loom resistor, or internally resisted coil.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 6 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 6 2015, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 6 2015, 12:34 PM) *

I evaluated the MSD distributor replacement last week. Wasn't pleased with the results at all. They swore to us that the unit was different than the standard old T1 unit they had been supplying for fitment to the T4. This was;t the case, it compared perfectly to a T1 unit that I have had since 2007 in the dyno cell.

Some people may like them, because they can make more profit selling them.

You said you only sell crankfire? And there's less profit in that?

I haven't sold a single part in almost 3 years. LN Engineering has owned the Type 4 Store since 2013....

We use crank triggered arrangements on turnkey engines.

+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 7 2015, 05:54 AM
Post #24

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 6 2015, 03:34 PM) *

I evaluated the MSD distributor replacement last week. Wasn't pleased with the results at all. They swore to us that the unit was different than the standard old T1 unit they had been supplying for fitment to the T4. This was;t the case, it compared perfectly to a T1 unit that I have had since 2007 in the dyno cell.

Some people may like them, because they can make more profit selling them.

Wow and you sell what again for huge profits?
+Quote Post
catsltd
post Oct 7 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Oct 6 2015, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 6 2015, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(JimN73 @ Oct 6 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Our experience has been that Bosch blue coils are the best choice with a Mallory Distr.

My ignition module is #605. Must be different from the one you use.

Here's the bit from the installation instructions.

Replacement UNILITE module. For all MALLORY UNILITE distributors, and Conversion Kits. Requires a 1.4ohms Ballast resistor, Loom resistor, or internally resisted coil. Also can replace the ACCEL Point Eliminator kit module.
Replacement UNILITE module. For all MALLORY UNILITE distributors, and Conversion Kits. Requires a 1.4ohms Ballast resistor, Loom resistor, or internally resisted coil.

So I am kind of lost now.

My coil has 3 ohm resistance.

Do I still need another resistor in line on top of the 3ohm from my coil.Thanks
Sorry for not understanding correctly.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Oct 7 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #26

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

Hmmmm....I'm using the MSD Blaster 2 coil with my Mallory Unilite. It's 0.7 ohms. But I've also got an MSD 6AL ignition module. I still haven't quite figured out what the PO was up to adding the 6AL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I don't think it's really needed, is it?
At any rate, I've had no problems so far with it.
+Quote Post
catsltd
post Oct 7 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #27

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mallory-Distr...e-p/4554101.htm.
This says it can be used with any coil with a resister of 1.5 ohm or more.
If you have a coil with 1.5 ohm or more itcan be run as a stand alone.

Ill order a spare optical and a surge protection,but last I heard from air cool was 5 weeks out for a surge protector from Mallory.
Anyway hope it works okay,so far so good.
If I am wrong Ill sure make sure to let yo guys know.
Thanks for all your help.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 8 2015, 06:30 AM
Post #28

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Oct 7 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Hmmmm....I'm using the MSD Blaster 2 coil with my Mallory Unilite. It's 0.7 ohms. But I've also got an MSD 6AL ignition module. I still haven't quite figured out what the PO was up to adding the 6AL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I don't think it's really needed, is it?
At any rate, I've had no problems so far with it.

PO may have installed the MSD prior to the Mallory; I had done the same. When I disconnected the MSD the motor ran just fine. Always keep a 605 module on hand. Two things I learned about the module: 1) Working in the engine compartment and causing a short around ignition components can blow the 605. 2) There is a situation where the module only partially fails-the engine cuts out, but seems to start again after a short wait. This is rare, but nice to know, and it has been documented.

Lastly, the Mallory requires special spark plug wires. Great unit, best upgrade I ever added and well worth the money spent.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 8 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I just happen to have:
Malloy unilite with optical module (from Tangerine racing)
MSD 6AL digital (with rev limiter)
Bosch Blue coil
MSD Tach adapt.

It runs very well
And I log RPMs in my datalogger since the output of the Optical module is a nice clean 12VDC squarewave instead of a 400V noisy POS from a regular set of points.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Oct 9 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #30

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 8 2015, 08:30 AM) *

PO may have installed the MSD prior to the Mallory; I had done the same. When I disconnected the MSD the motor ran just fine. Always keep a 605 module on hand. Two things I learned about the module: 1) Working in the engine compartment and causing a short around ignition components can blow the 605. 2) There is a situation where the module only partially fails-the engine cuts out, but seems to start again after a short wait. This is rare, but nice to know, and it has been documented.

Lastly, the Mallory requires special spark plug wires. Great unit, best upgrade I ever added and well worth the money spent.

It's possible, but the Mallory Unilite is on the engine build sheet from Original Customs, which was done right after he bought the car. The only thing I can guess is that he wanted the rev limiter that's on the MSD so he wouldn't damage his new engine.

What's a 605 module?

Does the MSD tach adapter keep the tach from being bouncy? My tach is fine while accelerating and upshifting. But a quick double clutch downshift will send it bouncing back and forth for a few seconds.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:18 AM