Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift Rod Bushing (In tunnel by the firewall), 914-424-224-03 Very small play (Is this normal?)
ndfrigi
post Oct 6 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Teeners,

I got two separate order from two different vendors of the bushing because the 1st one I got seems to have a very small play when I test fit the bushing to the shift rod. So I was thinking the vendor sent me a wrong bushing. I order another one but now when I test fit it again to the shift rod, the same play I'm getting.

Both bushing from two different vendor has the same part number 914-424-224-03 indicated on both plastic bag. It this the right shift rod bushing by the firewall? My shift rod diameter is very much straight. My old one that I removed has the same fitment or play with the new bushing.

Thanks again!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 6 2015, 11:52 AM
Post #2

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

yup. thats as good as it gets. it should shift fine but if you want super tight no slop talk to tangerine racing chris foley
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 6 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 6 2015, 10:52 AM) *

yup. thats as good as it gets. it should shift fine but if you want super tight no slop talk to tangerine racing chris foley

Thanks for the responsed! Well I already installed the new one and same as the old one I removed! well atleast I tried and pretty easy to replace. I know tangerine has the perfect replacement for that bushing but not on my budget and still trying to find how I can improve 1st to 2nd shifting since it grinds a little bit but down shifting to 2nd is impossible to get in. all bushings replaced already. My original tranny has the same issue on this 2nd tranny I borrowed from my other 914 project. So i was thinking maybe just bushings that need to replace. Unless coincidence my two tranny has both the same internal tranny parts issue.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 6 2015, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i think grinding usually means you have internal issues, like worn out syncro bands and at some point worn down dog teeth too. maybe anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) good luck!
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 6 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 6 2015, 05:17 PM) *

i think grinding usually means you have internal issues, like worn out syncro bands and at some point worn down dog teeth too. maybe anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) good luck!

Thanks also Jim for your reply! Meaning 2 of my tranny needs repair! I hope the 3rd tranny I bought from northern california is not, since the seller told me it was rebuilt before by a good tranny rebuilder from 914world member. and he said it is working well on his car.

+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 6 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #6

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i'm pretty sure that most trannys that dr evil opens up are in need of several parts, not at all uncommon. but if you have a rebuilt trans from evil or thomas, laying around, you'll probably be good to go once it is in your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 6 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 6 2015, 05:39 PM) *

i'm pretty sure that most trannys that dr evil opens up are in need of several parts, not at all uncommon. but if you have a rebuilt trans from evil or thomas, laying around, you'll probably be good to go once it is in your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I think Thomas who did the rebuild on my 3rd tranny. Well I should install that 3rd tranny soon! thanks Jim! and Nice Build ur having now! I've been watching ur build thread and ur videos.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 7 2015, 01:02 AM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 6 2015, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 6 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Thanks for the responsed! Well I already installed the new one and same as the old one I removed! well atleast I tried and pretty easy to replace. I know tangerine has the perfect replacement for that bushing but not on my budget and still trying to find how I can improve 1st to 2nd shifting since it grinds a little bit but down shifting to 2nd is impossible to get in. all bushings replaced already. My original tranny has the same issue on this 2nd tranny I borrowed from my other 914 project. So i was thinking maybe just bushings that need to replace. Unless coincidence my two tranny has both the same internal tranny parts issue.

The syncros are notorious for being worn. figure it has a tom of miles on it already.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 7 2015, 05:59 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

A grind in rev or getting into first can often mean you just need to tighten the clutch cable.

My last tranny had exactly the troubles you are mentioning (trouble downshifting to 2nd).
When I cracked it open, it had a broken bearing on the main shaft.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 7 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 7 2015, 04:59 AM) *

A grind in rev or getting into first can often mean you just need to tighten the clutch cable.

My last tranny had exactly the troubles you are mentioning (trouble downshifting to 2nd).
When I cracked it open, it had a broken bearing on the main shaft.

I had the same.. a broken main bearing. Lots of fun to get off...
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 7 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Thanks Mark, Stugray and Robw for your inputs!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:31 AM