Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tiptronic transaxle, Anyone know these?
r_towle
post Oct 6 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Does anyone understand the Porsche tiptronic transmission?

Specifically, does it need a special ECU and/or does it have its own?
Does it even need a computer?

Looking to use it for a rear engined Subaru project.

Any super experts on these transaxle out there to get one custom built for this?

Really looking for an automatic, no flames.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 6 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

It requires a TCU and harness. The TCU also connects to the ECU and to the CAN bus.

There must be a way to hack it and use it on any engine but I have not tried yet.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Oct 6 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

I believe only 2001 and newer used CAN bus. In this case older is better.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Oct 6 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,920

My 2000 996 with tiptronic did not use CAN bus.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 6 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #5

Resident Electrician

Found this, might be the answer...

http://www.npit.co.uk/Simon/TCU_User_Manual.pdf
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Oct 6 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Another option is to use a standalone ECU which can handle both engine and transmission control duties. This usually isn't super cheap, but would likely be much more elegant than tricking a few independent controller. An added benefit would be the ability to tune the transmission for your driving style, if so desired.

The guys at Syvecs in the UK have developed plug-in-play controllers with tunes for both a bunch of Subaru models and the 996/997 manual/tiptronic. I wouldn't think it would be too big a deal to combined portions of both maps and use a custom loom to control a Subaru/Tiptronic beast. Using something like this would also allow traction control integration... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 6 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Found this too...

Attached Image

Attached File  Transmission__1_.pdf ( 307.37k ) Number of downloads: 66
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 7 2015, 07:19 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 6 2015, 07:25 PM) *

Really looking for an automatic, no flames.

You underestimate the world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 7 2015, 07:55 AM
Post #9

Custom Member

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 6 2015, 11:40 PM) *

Found this, might be the answer...

http://www.npit.co.uk/Simon/TCU_User_Manual.pdf

That sounds like my solution, wow.

Thank you.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 7 2015, 08:35 AM
Post #10

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

A PDK controller is coming. I am building a 4.1L 993 engine that it will be coupled to, and fitted into a Beck 904 in the spring, for its initial testing.

Tip trannys are heavy as hell, but they are bomb proof. The size alone makes them not very viable for any older retrofit.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 7 2015, 09:10 AM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

The tiptronic wiring harness is separate from the rest of the wiring harness on the Audi's. I happen to have an older wiring harness from an S4 auto... lets see...

Attached Image

I can open it up tonight and show you all the different connections on it. The flat one with silver strap goes to the TCU IIRC.

Plenty of FWD A4's that you could make the trans work. I had originally planned on using a TIP trans with a 2.8 non turbo engine.. Still think it would be an nice package for the 914.

Mine is a 2001 and yes I am sure its CAN bus. But the tips went all the way down into 98's. and are dime a dozen. Especially in VW Passats.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 7 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 7 2015, 07:35 AM) *

A PDK controller is coming. I am building a 4.1L 993 engine that it will be coupled to, and fitted into a Beck 904 in the spring, for its initial testing.

Tip trannys are heavy as hell, but they are bomb proof. The size alone makes them not very viable for any older retrofit.

PDK trans might be bomb proof, but the older Audi trans can only hold about 300lbs of torque and are considered fairly weak. They also have a really low stall from the factory which leads to premature wear. But they are easily tuneable.

I know a guy that can tune the TCU and might be able to make it standalone pretty easy. I havent priced it from him but I am sure it would be about $300 or less. Daz Dillenger (find him on Facebook, tunes hundreds of cars a year remotely from his house). If your serious, he is the one you need to talk to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 9 2015, 12:08 AM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 7 2015, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 7 2015, 07:35 AM) *

PDK trans might be bomb proof, but the older Audi trans can only hold about 300lbs of torque and are considered fairly weak. They also have a really low stall from the factory which leads to premature wear. But they are easily tuneable.

I know a guy that can tune the TCU and might be able to make it standalone pretty easy. I havent priced it from him but I am sure it would be about $300 or less. Daz Dillenger (find him on Facebook, tunes hundreds of cars a year remotely from his house). If your serious, he is the one you need to talk to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We've been building my 4.2 9a1 engine for several years now. Most of these go into Caymans, and a lot of those are PDK. Making 360-375 at the rear wheels for HP, and a solid 300# of torque is very common with these. No issues with the PDK holding that power at all.

We are finishing a 2012 Cayman R now, it made just over 350 RWHP and 307# of torque from a 4.2 9a1 with PDK.

As far as the PDK controller, its a from scratch development that does not use any OEM components. Its being developed as a stand alone for other applications, like coupling into aircooled chassis, and being fitted to aircooled engines.

The Porsche tips are tough. I have yet to see one go bad, and I have 4-5 of them collecting dust, as the market for them is limited, because they don't fail. I build M96/ M97 cars to 4.0, and use the tip tranny a lot. These engines make around 320 at the wheels, with 290 TQ in most cases, and those trannys handle it fine.

Remember, the 996TT used a tip trans, as well as a manual, and these will hold a ton of power as well. I have a turbo tip that I can't hardly give away.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 9 2015, 12:24 AM
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 9 2015, 06:37 AM
Post #14

Custom Member

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 7 2015, 10:35 AM) *

I suspect I could buy a car for the cost of a pdk transmission.
Darn prices on tiptronics went up already.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:09 PM