Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price Check on a disassembled 9146 Long Block, What's it worth?
Ericv1
post Oct 7 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been slowly working on this over the past two years and decided to put the original fuel injection and engine back in the car. What I have is a 9146 case that has been ultrasonically cleaned. The heads have been cleaned , inspected and parts replaced as necessary. The rods have been resurfaced with new Rod bolts and the crank has been polished. It has "S" pistons and cylinders with "T" cams that I believe have been reground to "S" specs. I'm going to try to verify that with a local machine shop letter this week. I have the alternator and fan as well as the shroud and a 911 oil cooler. It also would come with an early 2.0 liter flywheel. The chain tensioners have the hydraulic upgrade and it has a bosche 6-cylinder distributor. I can take pictures later on but all parts are in great shape. I bought this as a package and would like to sell as a package. Any help with a price would be appreciated. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 7 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Post the serial number.
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Oct 7 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 7 2015, 08:51 PM) *

Post the serial number.

The serial number is 6405749. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 7 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

To the right person, more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 7 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

It's a small displacement low hp 911 engine. The value is in mating the engine to the original car.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 7 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

On its own, very little. To the person with the car it came out of, potentially significantly more. There was a thread on here ~six months back about someone who found their car's original engine and went through some significant contortions to get it back. (Mostly providing a replacement engine for the guy who was using it now.)

--DD
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 7 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

It's not like it's junkā€¦...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2015, 05:30 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'll buy it if the price is right.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 8 2015, 06:00 AM
Post #9

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Oct 7 2015, 08:50 PM) *

I've been slowly working on this over the past two years and decided to put the original fuel injection and engine back in the car. What I have is a 9146 case that has been ultrasonically cleaned. The heads have been cleaned , inspected and parts replaced as necessary. The rods have been resurfaced with new Rod bolts and the crank has been polished. It has "S" pistons and cylinders with "T" cams that I believe have been reground to "S" specs. I'm going to try to verify that with a local machine shop letter this week. I have the alternator and fan as well as the shroud and a 911 oil cooler. It also would come with an early 2.0 liter flywheel. The chain tensioners have the hydraulic upgrade and it has a bosche 6-cylinder distributor. I can take pictures later on but all parts are in great shape. I bought this as a package and would like to sell as a package. Any help with a price would be appreciated. Thanks.

Without trying to decipher everything....is this a complete engine with new parts just needing reassembly?

If so, value is upwards of $10K...more for the person needing that engine for their 6.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 8 2015, 06:00 AM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111670

check and see if someone is already ;looking for it, if not then post the number in the thread so it can be easily found should someone go looking for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Oct 8 2015, 08:01 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

From this post and reading your build thread, it sounds like the six conversion did not work out for you. Sorry to hear that.

It is a bit hard to know everything about the engine from the posts. Sounds like a dis-assembled mixture of various parts. The value will vary depending on how much provenance you can put behind the quality of the parts that you have.

The case would be valuable to the owner of the original car. To every one else it is just a 2 liter mag case and these go for about $800 - 1000.00. It could be worth more if it has case saver and other machine work done.

Having just bought a similar collection of parts, I suggest $3000.00 to as much as $4500.00 if the case has been worked and the parts are easily verifiable as "good".

It really depends on how much risk you can eliminate for the buyer. There is so much that has to be right to get one of these engines together correctly and any one glitch along the way can ruin it. Just to measure it all to ensure that it is all good is a two day operation - if you have all the correct tools. And there is some stuff that is not verifiable by any practical means (like condition of the oil pump, chains etc). So there is always some risk assumed by the buyer. $3000.00 - $4500.00
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Oct 8 2015, 08:11 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 8 2015, 10:01 AM) *

From this post and reading your build thread, it sounds like the six conversion did not work out for you. Sorry to hear that.

It is a bit hard to know everything about the engine from the posts. Sounds like a dis-assembled mixture of various parts. The value will vary depending on how much provenance you can put behind the quality of the parts that you have.

The case would be valuable to the owner of the original car. To every one else it is just a 2 liter mag case and these go for about $800 - 1000.00. It could be worth more if it has case saver and other machine work done.

Having just bought a similar collection of parts, I suggest $3000.00 to as much as $4500.00 if the case has been worked and the parts are easily verifiable as "good".

It really depends on how much risk you can eliminate for the buyer. There is so much that has to be right to get one of these engines together correctly and any one glitch along the way can ruin it. Just to measure it all to ensure that it is all good is a two day operation if you have all the correct tools. $3000.00 - $4500.00

Thanks for the information. The original engine in my build was awesome and I drove it for about two years before I did something stupid and sold it to buy another car. Hind sight is always 20/20. This is a second engine I bought to assemble and use in the car. I've decided to put the original engine back in the car with the fuel injection so now I'm left with these parts. I may just make this a winter project and assemble this into a long block. Thanks.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 8 2015, 12:24 PM
Post #13

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 8 2015, 10:01 AM) *

I would suggest you look on ebay at sold auctions...prices continue to rise...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 27 2015, 01:31 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just unpacked and took inventory.
It's not a kit or a 1st time plug and play but all the important parts are there and look very usable. Thanks to Eric. If I can help you with any parts to get the 4 running I hope you call. This engine will probably be destined for the yellow hotrod 6 conversion. I hope to have it built in the next couple weeks.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:47 AM