Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Collector Car Insurance, Who to use and how much?
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Mar 7 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Tuetonic terror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,019

Just received my policy application back from Grundy with a letter stating that they will not insure a 914 for more than $5,000... wtf? Even State Farm will let me insure it as a "parade vehicle" valued at $20,000.

So, does anyone here have a 914 insured with a collector type insurance company for some real $$$? Ideally I would like to have at least $25,000 - $35,000 coverage or more on this car in case of a total loss and I would like to find a better deal than State Farm is giving me.

My 914 is fully restored and very upgraded (2270 Type IV, Carrera suspension and brakes, fiberglass decklids and bumpers, etc., etc.). The car has collected a few awards and is entered in several upcoming car shows.

I'm aware of the other companmies out there, just looking for any real experiences with these companies from within the 914 community. All resposnes appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Series9
post Mar 7 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I got a quote from Hagerty: $590 for $40k.

I haven't bound the policy yet, but I intend to next week.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 7 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #3

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I'm with Haggerty also. I think it's for 25k but I don't remember the premium, too lazy to go look it up.
And in case anyone from Haggerty is watching, that's not the car in my avatar that's insured. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Mar 7 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I just got coverage with Hagarty and they were very reasonable, $90.00 for the year. I'm not insuring for near what you are but I'm sure they will go that high.
+Quote Post
Tom73
post Mar 7 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,792

I have had my Corvettes with Haggerty for several years. Very good company. But Classic Insurance does have its restrictions. You cannot drive the car to work or school, period. None never. Car must be stored in a locked garage. and so on.

If these restrictions work for you the this can be a good deal. If they don't work then it is back to standard insurance.

I would think that for the value you want that you will need documentation and apprisal to back up that value.

tom...
+Quote Post
azbill
post Mar 8 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,403
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hagerty $12,000 for $129/yr. Their towing and roadside service is great included with the $129. Used it on the Casa Grande run. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
martinef1963
post Mar 8 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #7

The Saga Continues...

Member No.: 3,080
Region Association: South East States

I just signed up with Hagerty covering 10K for $98 - a year! Like the thread mentions - it does have it's restrictions.

It's easy too - you can do it on line or by phone. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 8 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #8

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

at least $25,000 - $35,000 coverage or more

That might be a stretch with any insurance company for a 914-4 that doesn't have historic significance.

+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Mar 8 2005, 06:31 AM
Post #9

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

My policy with Hagerty cost $414 per year for $30 K in coverage. You get to pick the value you want if you can prove it with photos and receipts. My car has quite a few track modifications and a bigger motor than yours, so the rates might be less for the same coverage on a car that is more show and less go.

Hagerty has no restriction on milage, like most other carriers do. About all you have to do is prove the car is not a daily driver and keep it in a locked garage.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
solex
post Mar 8 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

I am also with Hagerty, they are very flexible. No one was willing to give me collector insurance because we have two cars and two valid drivers in our household. But Hagerty worked with me because I do not need a car since I commute to work every day via public transportation. I pay $111.00/year for $8K
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 8 2005, 08:51 AM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Boy, you guys got it good! I pay $164 for $8000 of coverage from Haggerty.
Guess their is lots of crime and uninsured motorists around here in Washington.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 8 2005, 08:57 AM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I don't think I'll have any problem documenting the cost of the coverage I'm going to write when my car is ready. All of the receipts will be dated within the last two years. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 8 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #13

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

Yet another vote for hagerty. I have a $9K value on my car now and I think we pay ~$100 a year. Yes, there are restrictions, but I can live with it. My car is driven for fun on sunny days and to SCCA events. One note is that I am NOT covered at SCCA events when my car is on the AX course, a risk I'm willing to take. It is covered while in the paddock.

+Quote Post
smg914
post Mar 8 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #14

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

I've been using "Condon and Skelly" for about 12 years. They were recommended to me by Drayton James who was the National Vice-President of the Porsche Club of America at the time.

$18,000 on my 914-4 at $126.00 a year
$20,000 on my 914-6 at $140.00 a year
$25,000 on my 911T at $175.00 a year

Condon and Skelly 800-257-9496
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 8 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

OK, there are 3 major players in collector car insurance, Hagerty, Condon and Skelly, and J.C. Taylor. Lots of others. All offer similar programs, and all require that this is not your daily driver. None provide coverage on the track.

As brokers, we access all of them, and have had the best luck with Hagerty (and they are helping with WCC). J.C. Taylor is better if you have a really valuable car (think Gullwing) or a hot rod or replica that won't quite fit the other programs.

The other, and often better alternative is to talk to your agent and see if he can offer a low rate on an 'extra' car that sits more than drives. Insurance companies may not be too bright, but they have figured out you can only drive one car at a time. I have my 2 teeners on my regular policy at rates comparable to the collector companies. Maybe a few$$ more, but nice to have all in one place. This tends to work best on cars valued under $20k.

STATED VALUE!!! Make sure they know what your car is worth so no hassles when submitting a claim.

This is not intended as a solicitation for your insurance. We only write in CA, and don't make any money on $200 policies (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 8 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #16

Best friends

Member No.: 231

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Mar 8 2005, 05:31 AM)
... and keep it in a locked garage.

This always my problem. I have a carport, but not a garage. The thing is enclosed on 3 sides, but no door. I wish there was a company that had more flexibility on this point. I've heard some say that Hagerty did not require this for them, but I believe their web site lists it as a requirement.
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Mar 8 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #17

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I use J.C. Taylor Insurance they are out of Upper Darby PA.
I just placed 15k policy on mine (what I have in it) for $134.00 a year. Limitation of 2500 miles per year and they don't spot check your odometer. If you insure for 25K or above, you will need an appraisal. Hellava deal I think.
+Quote Post
jfort
post Mar 8 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am with American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hill NJ. I was referred to them by USAA. $!2000 for $115.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 8 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Any offshore alien carrier would be a fine bet for someone in CA. Whoops, they don't do that anymore hee hee. Howard, I have a story to tell you about that, I'll tell you at the WCC. I was involved with those companies doing underwriting way back when.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Mar 8 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

Applied with Hagerty today... they seemed to ask all the right questions about the restoration and mods on my car. Looks like about $400/yr. for $25k agreed value. We have really high uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage in AZ since less than 40% of drivers on the road even have insurance... let alone a driver's license.

If it all goes through I'll be saving about $700/yr. with Hagerty vs. State Farm.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:00 AM