Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> headlights power question
jimkelly
post Oct 16 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

my car is without a relay box and my fuse panel may be a little jacked up, so I will be replacing it. I am checking my lights using a battery charger which seems to be putting out about 9.2 volts.

I've pulled my headlight motors cause i will be running my car with lights UP all the time.

when I pull my headlight switch out, I get tail lights, front amber and front side amber, but no head lights.

I was wondering if the power to the headlight motors in part of the ciurcuit to make the head lights function?

when I pull my emergency light switch, I hear a buzz in its flasher, maybe its flasher is no good.

i turned ignition key and did see my wipers work, but real slow, i'm guessing 9 volts is not quite cutting it.

yeah, i am missing a few fuses, got a big pack on oprder from an ebay seller.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JDW914
post Oct 16 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,990
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dumb question, but: Are you pulling the switch out all the way? It has two positions, with the first being parking-lights-only and the second being all lights, which should raise the headlights.

Other than that, the motors themselves act as headlight switches. At the ends of their travel, the same switches that stop the motor rotation connect power to the lights. If the motors are removed, this whole circuit needs to be bypassed, but is contained in the motor casing itself, so just plugging the power wire into the headlamp should make it work properly.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 16 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Delaware USA

I think you are answering my question, seems I need to do something with the loose wires that were previously connected to the headlight motors. thanks.

oh, and yes, I have been puling switch out all the way, just double checked that is was.

so I need to figure out which wires on the headlight tri plug needs power, and where they get power from for low beams and for high beams.

clearly I had no idea the motors acted like switches too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 16 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #4

Delaware USA

swapped around some fuses and turned the ignition key and then - bam (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) - headlights. seems i need to get more fuses to test my electrical out more fully.

seems like the wires I cut that went to the head light motors are not needed, at least not for head lights low and high beam.

I rebuttoned up the loose wires that used to go to my head light motors.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 16 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The headlight motor wires are only for the headlight motors. They have switches in the linkage, but that is only to tell the motor when to stop spinning.

The headlights themselves are powered by the fuse panel. One fuse each for: left low beam, right low beam, left high beam, right high beam. I believe those are fuses 1-4. (I could have the order wrong.) Those fuses get their power from the high/low relay on top of the fuse panel, which gets its power from the headlight switch, which gets its power from the ignition switch.

I strongly suggest you dig up the wiring diagram for your car before you go messing with things more.

--DD
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 16 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #6

Delaware USA

dave - thank you - I will - jim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:50 AM