Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driveway Paintjob Thread, I will update up to the WCC
skline
post Mar 8 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

This will be my step by step driveway strip and paint thread. This may not be the way everyone will do it, but this is the way I will do mine. If you like it, you can do it this way also. If not, then you can take it to a body shop and pay $3k to $5k for a paint job. You could also do different variations and run the cost up. I will post what I spend on this entire process. Some have said its like hitting your self in the head with a hammer, ok, this will be my first smack in the head.

First shot, before.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 8 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Your actually going to do it in the driveway as aposed to in the garage?

Should be interesting.

What color?
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Mar 8 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 7 2005, 10:42 PM)

What color?

Andrew,

Scott is color blind.......he only see's yeller (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 8 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #4

Born to Drive

First application of the chemical stripper. Try not to breathe the fumes and dont do this wearing shorts. Splatter will get to your legs. You let it set for about 15 minutes and then using a scrapper, you scrape everywhere you applied the stripper. You will need to do this a couple of times if there is a lot of paint on the car.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ovilla
post Mar 8 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,660

Please check your town's ordinance for this first. You'd be surprised at what you can get a fine for. Once your neighbors find out what you're doing someone's going to get worried about their new car getting oversprayed in turn signal orange. Also, another thought is to just do sanding and primer and let a professional body shop spray the color coat. My neighbor did that with his truck and it only cost about 1K and it looked awesome. Also, if you have access to a garage, you'll most likely do a better job with it as you can jack up the car and comfortably reach the bottom half. In some body shops you'll see that they use lifts to get the car at a comfortable height and sometimes even use shop chairs that are on casters. Have fun! I've always wanted to do this too.

+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 8 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Second coat of stripper, same as the first. However, where ever there is bondo, you will need to remove it all the way. Do not try to just smooth it out and paint over it. The bondo will absorb the stripper and ruin your nice new paint job down the road. Besides, we are going to remove the dents before the primer goes on. You want the least amount of bondo on the car as possible. 1/8" max. With the paint off, you will easily see any and all bondo on the car. Be sure to get all of it off. Places I thought had bondo didnt have any, places I didnt know there was any, there was a lot. Some of it was way thicker than it should have been.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 8 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #7

Born to Drive

Indecently, the stripper is neutralized in water so when you get all done, hose the car off really well. If you let the stripper stay on too long, it will start to harden and will be difficult to remove. So keep a wet rag handy to wipe off the car when you are done with that panel. I am only doing the door and the rear quarter this round. Tomorrow I will do the front fender and hood and the other front fender. If I get on a roll, I may get the whole car done. Then I get to do the body work. The rear deck is being replaced and the sail panels will be stripped and painted to match the car. Which is why I didn't remove them. I will be removing them tomorrow along with all the other removable parts like trim and lenses.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 8 2005, 09:29 AM
Post #8

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE (skline @ Mar 7 2005, 11:06 PM)
Indecently, the stripper is neutralized in water so when you get all done, hose the car off really well. If you let the stripper stay on too long, it will start to harden and will be difficult to remove. So keep a wet rag handy to wipe off the car when you are done with that panel. I am only doing the door and the rear quarter this round. Tomorrow I will do the front fender and hood and the other front fender. If I get on a roll, I may get the whole car done. Then I get to do the body work. The rear deck is being replaced and the sail panels will be stripped and painted to match the car. Which is why I didn't remove them. I will be removing them tomorrow along with all the other removable parts like trim and lenses.

Scott,

What colors has the car been? I see white and green. And a little red.
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Mar 8 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #9

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) Wow! That stuff works great! Does it remove facial wrinkles too? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Lisa (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Mar 8 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

oo this is going to be good..i plan on painting my car hopefully this summer, so make sure you give me good detail skline!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 8 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #11

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Scott, keep it up! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) I would like to see how other people do this. I have painted cars and lots of car parts before. Sometimes early in the morning before the bugs come out etc. But always in a garage, well, once outside an entire VW Bug. It actually turned out really good.

Usually I will do like a hood or fender or something inside the garage, doors closed and a fan blowing out with the big doors up a couple of inches. Works pretty good.

Hmm, sniffen resin, sniffen paint.... No wonder I am (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 8 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #12

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE (maf914 @ Mar 8 2005, 08:29 AM)
What colors has the car been? I see white and green. And a little red.

Car was tagged Delphi Green with a really bad white spray job over it. The red would be the factory primer on metal parts.
+Quote Post
wrpspddrvr
post Mar 8 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,317

QUOTE (skline @ Mar 8 2005, 02:06 AM)
Indecently, the stripper is neutralized in water so when you get all done, hose the ... off really well. If you let the stripper stay on too long, it will start to harden and will be difficult to remove. So keep a wet rag handy to wipe off the ... when you are done with that .... I am only doing the ... and the rear quarter this round. If I get on a roll, I may get the whole ... done. Then I get to do the body work. . I will be removing them tomorrow along with all the other removable parts

I edited your post a little to make it more 914Club-style. Replace all the "..." with "stripper".

Cole (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 8 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #14

Born to Drive

I think Slits is right, the red seems like a filler primer of some sort. It was under the factory green. Along with some geen filler of some sort. Like nothing I have ever seen before. I wonder if the factory used bondo to smooth the cars a little before painting? The rest of the bondo on the car is normal pink stuff, but there are some spots that have a light green filler masking body imperfections.
+Quote Post
wrpspddrvr
post Mar 8 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,317

On a more serious note, this looks to be a cool thread! Thanks for sacrificing your car for the rest of us!
With teener guys having such a reputation for cheapness, I can't believe you're the first to post this!

Good luck!

Cole (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 8 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #16

All Scott has to worry about it the gathering of the "glue sniffers" that will congragate around his driveway, getting high off the aromatic dryers in the paint (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif)

Hey Scott, wanna do mine in Paisley?

"Are you going to San Francisco,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair....."
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 8 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #17

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

BTW...if you haven't already....have the car registered in YOUR name. When the local code enforcement or AQMD weenie comes by that will be the first thing he asks for. It IS legal to paint your own car but if any overspray goes on another person's property....

Painting another person's car can be considered a bidness or overspray gets ya a "yer not listening citation".

Also...if there is a water heater in the garage turn it off if using paint in there with the door closed or sectioned off with plastic. That will be an ignition source.

Personal protection while spraying the paint....check for isocyanates in the paint....not good if only using a filter mask. You need OUTSIDE supplied air or an SCBA.

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 8 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 8 2005, 09:43 AM)
BTW...if you haven't already....have the car registered in YOUR name. When the local code enforcement or AQMD weenie comes by that will be the first thing he asks for. It IS legal to paint your own car but if any overspray goes on another person's property....

Painting another person's car can be considered a bidness or overspray gets ya a "yer not listening citation".

Also...if there is a water heater in the garage turn it off if using paint in there with the door closed or sectioned off with plastic. That will be an ignition source.

Personal protection while spraying the paint....check for isocyanates in the paint....not good if only using a filter mask. You need OUTSIDE supplied air or an SCBA.

Hah, I sent in the DMV form....it's all Scott's problem now....his neighbor's Beemer is gonna look good in yellow (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 8 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #19

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Speaking of those damn change of ownership forms.....DMV is loose and free with those things. IF THEY don't get them or lose them...they hound you for the fees...they even threatened a neighbor with a state tax lien....

Keep a copy and/or send them in certified
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Mar 8 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #20

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

I can't believe you're painting a car in the driveway. I'd NEVER think of doing that......

(IMG:http://www.qtm.net/~persoj/graphics/vw/before_paint.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.qtm.net/~persoj/graphics/vw/yellow_bug.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.qtm.net/~persoj/graphics/vw/primer_bug.jpg)

And, a picture of my own dumb ass...

(IMG:http://www.qtm.net/~persoj/graphics/vw/Fearless_painter.jpg)

Later,
Tom
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:56 AM