Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another Factory 6 being fixed up
raynekat
post May 19 2020, 09:01 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 29 2019, 07:59 AM) *

Kroon wire harness co. sent me an email that my new chassis harness is done and ready to be shipped. I should see that in about two weeks. Gerard sent me a few pic of it so enjoy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

That Kroon replacement chassis harness will be killer.
Expensive buy worth it on your project without question.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Luke M
post May 20 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

It's a nice wire harness for sure but there maybe a wiring issue that Kroon was not aware of. I need to check it out to confirm. RD is now making a replacement 914-6 harness as well. I believe the price is about the same.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 20 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #63

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Pretty sure RD harness is much less
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 20 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #64

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Are you sending the machine work to Ollies?
+Quote Post
Luke M
post May 20 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #65

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 20 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Are you sending the machine work to Ollies?

Machine work is being done by a local Porsche shop. www.ekstens.com
Ollies was a 6 to 8 week turnaround when I called.
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jul 14 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #66

Well after months of waiting (thanks to covid) I finally received my Celette 914 bench fixtures. I'm going to get the 6 off the current fixtures and back on the rotisserie for blasting. Once the blasting is done then it'll be on these Celette fixtures for the chassis repairs.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #67

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What type of blasting are you having done?
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 14 2020, 10:44 PM
Post #68

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 05:33 PM) *

Well after months of waiting (thanks to covid) I finally received my Celette 914 bench fixtures. I'm going to get the 6 off the current fixtures and back on the rotisserie for blasting. Once the blasting is done then it'll be on these Celette fixtures for the chassis repairs.

Holy Grail...…..I got a nos left rear fender..pm me an offer..or trade for a right
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jul 15 2020, 05:25 AM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 07:33 PM) *

WOW.
Luke, thats a lot of equipment !
I see parts that are easy to understand for our cars and others that must be
bases or mounts.
Are there 911 parts too ?
Great way to go.
Unbelievable score.
Be careful, that is some heavy equipment.
Get to it.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 15 2020, 05:41 AM
Post #70

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 03:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jul 15 2020, 07:28 AM
Post #71

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 15 2020, 04:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 14 2020, 07:33 PM) *

WOW.
Luke, thats a lot of equipment !
I see parts that are easy to understand for our cars and others that must be
bases or mounts.
Are there 911 parts too ?
Great way to go.
Unbelievable score.
Be careful, that is some heavy equipment.
Get to it.

Hi Rory,

All of the fixtures are for the 914 and 914-6. Only difference for the 6 is the special firewall engine mount bracket which is here as well. The front end fixtures could be used for the 911 up to 89 I believe. The cross beams are what the fixtures mount to then to the bench. I need to remove the 6 and current fixtures to figure it all out. I'm missing some mounting bolts but I should be able to pick those up locally. Yes they are heavy pieces and definitely a two person job setting it all up.

As far as blasting goes, the blast co says a few different media will be used. Harder grit for chassis vs panels which gets lighter so panels do not warp. Then all gets epoxy coated. I need to get all of the seam sealer out prior to blasting. That's gonna be a fun day.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 11 2020, 11:39 AM
Post #72

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 20 2020, 07:11 AM) *
It's a nice wire harness for sure but there maybe a wiring issue that Kroon was not aware of. I need to check it out to confirm. RD is now making a replacement 914-6 harness as well. I believe the price is about the same.

And that issue is that? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Looks great so far.

Subscribed
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Oct 11 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #73

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 20 2020, 07:11 AM) *

And that issue is that? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Looks great so far.

Subscribed

Glenn and I did check over my Kroon harness to see if it had the same issues as the one he installed. My harness seams to be wired correctly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RD harness but I already have the Kroon harness on hand.
+Quote Post
gerakroo
post Oct 19 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 17,563
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 20 2020, 04:11 PM) *

Hi Luke, can you explain about the "possible wiring issue" in the fan connector ? We just checked the pictures and 5 other original 914-6 harnesses but they're all the same and identical to the new one we produce ?, Red , top left, white-green top right, white-yellow, under left, white, under right ?. Many 914-6's around the world are equipped with a new wiring loom delivered by us and this is the first time we hear about this ?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gerakroo
post Oct 19 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #75

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 20 2020, 09:03 PM) *

How much less ? I think that a comparison can only be made if you put both sets next to each other and compare them in detail. I wonder if RD delivers exactly the same as what we do? I would love to see some more detailed pictures of the RD 914-6 harness set ?
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Oct 20 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #76

QUOTE(gerakroo @ Oct 19 2020, 11:49 AM) *

Hi Luke, can you explain about the "possible wiring issue" in the fan connector ? We just checked the pictures and 5 other original 914-6 harnesses but they're all the same and identical to the new one we produce ?, Red , top left, white-green top right, white-yellow, under left, white, under right ?. Many 914-6's around the world are equipped with a new wiring loom delivered by us and this is the first time we hear about this ?

Attached Image

Hi Gerard,

My harness that you made seams to be ok. There was an issue with the harness that Glenn put in for a customer. Guess there were some wires not located in the proper pins for the ignition. Another member was asking for the fan housing wiring and after looking into it my kroon harness seams correct. My factory 6 harness was tampered with prior to me owning it. That's where the confusion set in but got all worked out.
Looks like the RD 6 harness sells for $2500.00 USD.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/pr.../914-612-019-10

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 20 2020, 11:18 AM
Post #77

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(gerakroo @ Oct 19 2020, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 20 2020, 09:03 PM) *

How much less ? I think that a comparison can only be made if you put both sets next to each other and compare them in detail. I wonder if RD delivers exactly the same as what we do? I would love to see some more detailed pictures of the RD 914-6 harness set ?

I’ll get pictures of the RD 6 chassis harness in the next week or so. Nothing against Kroon at, looks like you make a fine product. I’ve been buying from RD prior to the new ownership which is one of a few reasons I went with them
+Quote Post
gerakroo
post Oct 21 2020, 12:32 AM
Post #78

QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 20 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(gerakroo @ Oct 19 2020, 11:49 AM) *

Attached Image

Hi Gerard,

My harness that you made seams to be ok. There was an issue with the harness that Glenn put in for a customer. Guess there were some wires not located in the proper pins for the ignition. Another member was asking for the fan housing wiring and after looking into it my kroon harness seams correct. My factory 6 harness was tampered with prior to me owning it. That's where the confusion set in but got all worked out.
Looks like the RD 6 harness sells for $2500.00 USD.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/pr.../914-612-019-10

Thank you for your reply Luke, i'm just curious if this price also includes a new engine harness, wiper harness, dash harness, new relay sockets , etc ? (our set does)
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Oct 21 2020, 06:42 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

Our chassis harness sells separately from our engine harness. We do include the relay sockets and the dash harness. We list all our pricing, stock at least one of every item listed on the web shop and shipping of your wiring will usually happen within 2 days of the order.

Gerard, we know you do great work. But we also hold our work to a very high standard. We stand behind our product. Competition breads excellence.

Pete
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Oct 24 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #80

Getting the case ready to assemble. I have all the parts back from the machine shop and last of the back ordered parts are in. I didn't want to remove the outer perimeter case studs to clean the case halves mating surfaces.So I checked a few studs and they came off easily. The case cleaning must have compromised the loctite so all are coming off now to be safe and while I'm at it cleaning the mating surfaces.

Anyone know why Porsche went with the oval locking nuts on the later engines?
I have the nylon lock nuts but not the oval lock style.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 02:55 AM