Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which VW and Porsche dealerships sold the early 914s?, For the 914 Classic Authroized Swag webpage
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Please help me make sense of these license plate frames below so I know whether or not to include them on the 914 Classics Authorized SWAG webpage. They are from Porsche and/or VW-Porsche dealers, but I do not know and am trying to find out if they sold the 914.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Swag.htm

My only reference is a Porsche-Audi dealership list from September 1973, 8th edition that came with all 914s from that era. Find a link to it on the webpage above.

Do you have other 914 dealership lists you can scan (.pdf) and email to me for reference?

I am inclined to either not include these license plate frames below on the SWAG webpage unless you can confirm that these are legit 914 dealerships.

Note that apparently the same dealership or dealership group have both only Porsche frames and VW-Porsche frames (i.e. Competition Motors). Which one sold the 914 - one, both or none?

Was the 914 was sold at any of these dealerships? Info I have is that before the 914, dealerships sold VWs, and/or Porsches, sometimes just one or the other. Some dealerships sold both and I believe the 914 was sold through these dealerships early on. From around 1973 forward Porsche+Audi was created and I think it was Excellence was Expected says there was great resistance from current dealers to change over to become new Porsche+Audi dealerships – due to the high costs of starting new dealerships, advertising, building construction, etc. That probably explains why these frames below do not say Porsche+Audi on them (they were earlier than the P+A alliance), but I would like to know for certain. They may be legit 914 dealers if they predate the P+A merger, but I would like your input. Please only comment if know for certain do not speculate.

Thanks in advance...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Nov 5 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

My brother bought his 72 914 from Temple Porsche and Audi in Tampa.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Nov 5 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

In 1971 I moved to Hermosa Beach, being the surf dude I was. (still am) I moved to a street a few blocks from the sand called 1st place the apartment was a few hundred feet off of Pacific Coast Highway.

I would walk to the laundromat up on PCH weekly. On these walks there was this Porsche car dealer between my apartment and the laundry. This dealer was the infamous "Vasek Polak" dealership. Vasek always had on display in the showroom many various race cars they had campaigned 550, 904, 906, 908, 910, 917 and others.

On one of my trips I noticed a 908/2 race car sitting right next to a brand new 914-6, I had to go in to look at this. Sitting side by side the cars were very similar, wheels out on the corners, mid engine, low etc. It was clear to me the 914-6 was a race car for the street... There and then began my love for 914's I also recall seeing the window sticker price, I think it was $5600 (?) and thought OMG I will never be able to afford a car that expensive!

So to answer your question Vasek Polak Porsche sold 914s early on.
+Quote Post
dcecc1968
post Nov 5 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,313

Jeff, this window sticker was in some manuals a fellow gave me... it lists the dealer.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 5 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Nov 5 2015, 08:35 AM) *

In 1971 I moved to Hermosa Beach, being the surf dude I was. (still am) I moved to a street a few blocks from the sand called 1st place the apartment was a few hundred feet off of Pacific Coast Highway.

I would walk to the laundromat up on PCH weekly. On these walks there was this Porsche car dealer between my apartment and the laundry. This dealer was the infamous "Vasek Polak" dealership. Vasek always had on display in the showroom many various race cars they had campaigned 550, 904, 906, 908, 910, 917 and others.

On one of my trips I noticed a 908/2 race car sitting right next to a brand new 914-6, I had to go in to look at this. Sitting side by side the cars were very similar, wheels out on the corners, mid engine, low etc. It was clear to me the 914-6 was a race car for the street... There and then began my love for 914's I also recall seeing the window sticker price, I think it was $5600 (?) and thought OMG I will never be able to afford a car that expensive!

Cool collection of pictures Jeff...

I wonder if the Vasek Polak is the most sought after and reproduced license plate frame there is?

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 11:30 AM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 5 2015, 08:33 AM) *

My brother bought his 72 914 from Temple Porsche and Audi in Tampa.

Its on the list, thanks.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 11:30 AM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Nov 5 2015, 08:35 AM) *

Its on the list, thanks.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 11:31 AM
Post #8

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Nov 5 2015, 08:47 AM) *

Jeff, this window sticker was in some manuals a fellow gave me... it lists the dealer.

Its on the list, thanks.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #9

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 5 2015, 09:27 AM) *

I wonder if the Vasek Polak is the most sought after and reproduced license plate frame there is?

Could be Mike...if'n your car came from V-P. Mine came from Rusnak, so I have Rusnak frames. And there are some other cool ones listed...Hawaii? Alaska? Canada?

Would be great to see more dealerships listed if there are more and of course photos of any other 914 dealership and dealer SWAG people can contribute.

Please post photos of what you have here.
+Quote Post
germanv82000
post Nov 5 2015, 11:38 AM
Post #10

scott pickering

Member No.: 6,464
Region Association: Northern California

I know some of the history of Thornton Motors in Stockton as I bought my last VW in 1964 from them. I have an old lic. plate frame from the dealership waiting for someone that wants it, in the meantime I will pursue info on the dealership.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 5 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bought my -6 from Forest Lane in Dallas. I've search for a frame for 2 years. The only one I located sold on Pelican for about $200.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Nov 5 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,094

My 74 1.8 came from Kendon VW in Harbor City CA.

Took me a while to find a plate frame, quite rare. I got one from a guy in England who picked up a micro bus that had the frame on it...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 02:55 PM
Post #13

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 5 2015, 10:55 AM) *

Bought my -6 from Forest Lane in Dallas. I've search for a frame for 2 years. The only one I located sold on Pelican for about $200.

Looks great! Added to the webpage, thank you.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #14

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 5 2015, 11:51 AM) *

My 74 1.8 came from Kendon VW in Harbor City CA.

Took me a while to find a plate frame, quite rare. I got one from a guy in England who picked up a micro bus that had the frame on it...

Added this Kendon frame too, thanks.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 5 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #15

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure that all of the CA ones you show here & on the site did sell 914s, but around 70-71-ish during the rolling requirement to add a Porsche+Audi building & area to their dealerships, those dealers' frames were also changed over to Porsche+Audi (IIRC they could use up their old stock of frames).

Can't speak to most of the other states' dealerships specifically, except Phoenix, Pittsburgh & Indy, where I had relatives & visited in 69-71.

Call, Oemail or PM me for a meal or whatever, if/when you're in Anaheim for that Fall conference you mentioned back in April/May.

PS - my 73 2L was originally sold from the Garden Grove dealer, although they had changed by that time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
pete000
post Nov 5 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,094

One interesting tidbit about Kendon. I heard he got the first 914-6 delivered to Southern California and it made Vasek Polak really upset as he wanted the first delivery in his show room.

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 5 2015, 01:24 PM) *

Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. I am pretty sure the Porsche+Audi reorganization did not occur until around 1973, not as early as 70-71, but maybe I am wrong? I sold my EWE many years ago so cannot look it up.

Porsche ran the 914 program from mid-1974, which is one reason why the 75-76 cars seem a bit different than the earlier model years.

Will look you up next time I am I town, thanks for the invite.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 5 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #18

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 5 2015, 02:02 PM) *

One interesting tidbit about Kendon. I heard he got the first 914-6 delivered to Southern California and it made Vasek Polak really upset as he wanted the first delivery in his show room.

There are several frames related to "Harbor Cities" which is surprising to me...that's not that big of an area. Kendon, Atlas, Circle

Musta been a hot market for 914s back then!
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 5 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

There must have been more 914s sold in Southern California than anywhere else on earth…..
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 5 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #20

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Bought my '73 2.0 Appearance Group, Sepia Brown 914 new from Ely Porsche Audi in Hayward. On Mission Street just south of Lewelling.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:29 AM