Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seats
tp_reading
post Nov 13 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,698
Region Association: None

My Recaro Profi SPG seats are now out of date, has anyone fitted Cobra Historics in their 914?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 18 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

There isn't much going on here regarding "racing/tracking" - you might want to try the Pelican or Rennlist boards...all the best.

Tony
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Nov 18 2015, 09:27 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 18 2015, 02:19 PM) *

There isn't much going on here regarding "racing/tracking" - you might want to try the Pelican or Rennlist boards...all the best.

Tony

Ok Thank you for the tip .
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 18 2015, 10:01 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Question: Does your seat HAVE to be FIA certified? If not, here in the States...Kirkey is the go-to source for many racers. They make excellent products...I am using their Intermediate Road Race seat and am very impressed with the quality, fit, finish and might I even add comfort. Here it is installed in my 914 - of course, if your sanctioning body REQUIRES the seats to be FIA certified, this is of no use for you. Likewise, Europe's FIA seats mean nothing to most sanctioning bodies here that required SFI ratings. Such it is in the struggle to be in control of motorsports! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Nov 18 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #5

There are a few series here that don't need FIA seats, but most of the interesting ones do including Historics which is where I am aiming. The cockpit of a 914 is not the biggest so I need something compact.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Nov 24 2015, 12:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,985

Check your racing organization, but some allow out of date seats as well as non-SFI / non-FIA seats as long as you have a back brace. In some cases you don't even need the back brace if your seat is within a certain number of inches of the firewall or roll cage.

Scott
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Nov 24 2015, 12:21 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 24 2015, 06:17 PM) *

Check your racing organization, but some allow out of date seats as well as non-SFI / non-FIA seats as long as you have a back brace. In some cases you don't even need the back brace if your seat is within a certain number of inches of the firewall or roll cage.

Scott

Thanks for all replies, I have bought a pair of Cobra Imola Pro's. Really nice seats.
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Nov 25 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #8

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290
Region Association: Northern California

I pass tech no problem with CSRG and HMSA using an actual Scheel seat from who knows when. Of course I am in the US.. Are you running Vintage or a Modern series? Only thing they really ask about is the dates on my harness, and my driving gear. This they care about. Sure its totally different there.

MB
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Nov 25 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Nov 25 2015, 07:12 PM) *

I pass tech no problem with CSRG and HMSA using an actual Scheel seat from who knows when. Of course I am in the US.. Are you running Vintage or a Modern series? Only thing they really ask about is the dates on my harness, and my driving gear. This they care about. Sure its totally different there.

MB

I'm afraid that scrutineers are quite strict over here, belts, cages and seats all need to comply with the regulations. Not so bad for sprints or hillclimbs, but most track racing is more controlled.
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Nov 25 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #10

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tp_reading @ Nov 25 2015, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Nov 25 2015, 07:12 PM) *

MB

I'm afraid that scrutineers are quite strict over here, belts, cages and seats all need to comply with the regulations. Not so bad for sprints or hillclimbs, but most track racing is more controlled.

Well for us, the cars must meet rules from the time they were built/raced. I know the HANS is now required for SVRA, which I have a feeling will make to all the groups here.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Nov 28 2015, 06:15 AM
Post #11

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

We have a Cobra Suzuka seat with sliders in our race car...very nice, we like the removable/replacable padding since Nadine and I want very different driving positions - almost like a fitted seat insert...
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Dec 17 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 28 2015, 12:15 PM) *

We have a Cobra Suzuka seat with sliders in our race car...very nice, we like the removable/replacable padding since Nadine and I want very different driving positions - almost like a fitted seat insert...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1079.photobucket.com-18698-1450395047.1.jpg)

Trial fitting my Cobra Imola Pro seat. I just need to figure a way to fix on the floor pan so that I can get maximum headroom !
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 17 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Depending upon how much room you need the floor can be notched/lowered. The picture I posted earlier is my Road Race seat installed on the lowered floor pan. It was a major pain to fabricate but I had no other choice. I am now positioned at the correct level and safely away from the cage.

Tony
+Quote Post
naro914
post Dec 17 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #14

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

Tony, do you have any pictures of the fab work done to get your seat mounted down to the floor? I need to do that to Papa Smurf...is yours actually BELOW floor level? I just need to mount it to the flat floor and eliminate the cross bar that's under the front of the seat...looking for ideas...
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Dec 18 2015, 04:49 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 18 2015, 01:31 AM) *

Tony, do you have any pictures of the fab work done to get your seat mounted down to the floor? I need to do that to Papa Smurf...is yours actually BELOW floor level? I just need to mount it to the flat floor and eliminate the cross bar that's under the front of the seat...looking for ideas...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1079.photobucket.com-18698-1450435772.1.jpeg)

Hi,
My 914-6 was built by Protech Racing, and by the look of it has had a number of different seats fitted since 1984 ! You can see from my pic that the original cross member on the drivers side has been cut out. By the look of it a strap has been welded in across the car for the bolts at the rear of the seat to bolt through. At the front there was obviously a square section welded in, but this has been cut out leaving just the stubs visible now. I am going to reinstate those fixings I think, and not go below floor level.
My new roll cage will include a bar across the door opening which should brace the tub, so I am not worried about the missing half of the cross member.
What do you think ?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 18 2015, 07:56 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

As long as your cage is properly tied to the entire rocker length you should be fine. I like having three plates along the rocker...I've seen often where the cage is tied in only on either side. I have mine tied in at four places...

This is the picture I emailed to Naro last night in response to his inquiry. My sub belt is welded to the floor pan but my seat is not. We welded up 1/4" plate and boxed it in on both outside and inside - they are then threaded. The back of the seat is bolted to a plate welded to the cage. Some seats have a little play or flex in them...mine doesn't move a millimeter! All the best!

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Dec 18 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 18 2015, 01:56 PM) *

As long as your cage is properly tied to the entire rocker length you should be fine. I like having three plates along the rocker...I've seen often where the cage is tied in only on either side. I have mine tied in at four places...

This is the picture I emailed to Naro last night in response to his inquiry. My sub belt is welded to the floor pan but my seat is not. We welded up 1/4" plate and boxed it in on both outside and inside - they are then threaded. The back of the seat is bolted to a plate welded to the cage. Some seats have a little play or flex in them...mine doesn't move a millimeter! All the best!

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

That is a truly impressive cage ! I don't need anything quite so substantial as I only do Hillclimbs and sprints.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 18 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(tp_reading @ Dec 18 2015, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 18 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

That is a truly impressive cage ! I don't need anything quite so substantial as I only do Hillclimbs and sprints.

If your doing hillclimbs please error on the side of substantial. Also I'd brace the seat to the roll bar.

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 18 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I second Randal's concerns. I don't hill climb because of the increase in risk (lack of run off areas). Bob/Naro does them but he doesn't drive very fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
A little end of year zinger Bob - JK!

It doesn't take big speed to be killed or seriously injured. I hope you and anyone else participating in spirited track/hill/drag driving wears a HANS (like) device too! My greatest fear (no, I don't dwell on it though) is someone losing brakes into a high speed braking zone and collecting me on turn in. I can't guarantee I'm safe with that kind of impact but I've tried within becoming a Stock car. I also agree with his advice about bolting the upper seat to the roll cage - mine is bolted right behind my neck and makes a world of difference.

PS: I bought my car as a roller with the base cage already installed...it was from Chris at Tangerine. It was solid but we made a few changes and additions to make it suit my application a little better. I wanted to give a shout out to Racer Chris - you can't go wrong with his products. Advertising over now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

T
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Dec 18 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #20

Thanks, I appreciate you concerns and advice. My new seats and roll cage are FIA approved. The seat is also HANS compatible. Rules here in the UK are pretty strict, and although my car had been raced in the US since 1984 I have had to spend quite a lot getting it right before I would be allowed on track here.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:28 PM