Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seats
Randal
post Dec 18 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 18 2015, 01:59 PM) *

I second Randal's concerns. I don't hill climb because of the increase in risk (lack of run off areas). Bob/Naro does them but he doesn't drive very fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
A little end of year zinger Bob - JK!

It doesn't take big speed to be killed or seriously injured. I hope you and anyone else participating in spirited track/hill/drag driving wears a HANS (like) device too! My greatest fear (no, I don't dwell on it though) is someone losing brakes into a high speed braking zone and collecting me on turn in. I can't guarantee I'm safe with that kind of impact but I've tried within becoming a Stock car. I also agree with his advice about bolting the upper seat to the roll cage - mine is bolted right behind my neck and makes a world of difference.

PS: I bought my car as a roller with the base cage already installed...it was from Chris at Tangerine. It was solid but we made a few changes and additions to make it suit my application a little better. I wanted to give a shout out to Racer Chris - you can't go wrong with his products. Advertising over now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

T

FYI on my DSR we've made a bunch of cage modifications to strengthen the cockpit area. I'm also going to be mounting heavy density foam in blocks about 18" thick and as long and high as I can make them outboard of the cockpit, but under the body. The other place I'm concerned about is the foot well area. In a DSR you don't have much room there and any front impact in a hill climb could be nasty. Still haven't figured that part out.

Agree with everything you said about Chris. I had a ton of Chris's stuff on 222 and Andrew has sure put it to good use.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
naro914
post Dec 19 2015, 06:52 AM
Post #22

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 18 2015, 04:59 PM) *

I second Randal's concerns. I don't hill climb because of the increase in risk (lack of run off areas). Bob/Naro does them but he doesn't drive very fast. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
A little end of year zinger Bob - JK!

Ha!! I'll have you know I consistently win GT2 class in the hillclimbs against MUCH bigger cars - ones that beat me on the track! (and don't worry Tony, I took it as all good/fun, not upset at all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) )
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 18 2015, 04:59 PM) *

It doesn't take big speed to be killed or seriously injured. I hope you and anyone else participating in spirited track/hill/drag driving wears a HANS (like) device too! My greatest fear (no, I don't dwell on it though) is someone losing brakes into a high speed braking zone and collecting me on turn in. I can't guarantee I'm safe with that kind of impact but I've tried within becoming a Stock car. I also agree with his advice about bolting the upper seat to the roll cage - mine is bolted right behind my neck and makes a world of difference.

PS: I bought my car as a roller with the base cage already installed...it was from Chris at Tangerine. It was solid but we made a few changes and additions to make it suit my application a little better. I wanted to give a shout out to Racer Chris - you can't go wrong with his products. Advertising over now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

T

Hillclimbs are awesome. For SCCA, we have to have all the same safety equipment as for club racing - full fire suit/clothing, Hans, etc. and harnesses, seat, full cage w/door bars, kill switch, window nets (or arm restraints for open cars), etc.

The Dragon hillclimb we do is really safe - mountain on one side, guard rails the entire way on the other. There are MANY more place to hit trees and immovable objects on race tracks than on this run. Plus,...you're never even out of 3rd gear and it's so steep, if you let off the gas you stop pretty quickly.

This event is probably one of the coolest 'racing' things we do. Nadine loves it too and is getting faster and faster each time.

Tony, to your concern I agree - someone diving into a turn and misjudging or losing brakes is something you have no control over. On a hillclimb, it's just you, your car and the mountain. You have TOTAL control over everything. If you wreck, it's your fault so you could have avoided it...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 21 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Randal & Naro - I can see how you both think Hill Climbs are safe...LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkIepauST0s
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 25 2015, 11:07 PM
Post #24

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I'm about 5'9" 175lbs and use the Cobra Suzuka with side mounts bolted directly to the floor, with some added steel reinforcements. I notched the box section that goes across the floorpan. There's plenty of headroom for me with this approach but these seats are narrow so even at my size it's a cozy fit.

I totally agree with not skimping on safety gear - I must have $10K or so into that stuff myself. That said I'm glad our local clubs are not anal about expiration dates on seats and suits. We do have to keep belts and helmets current and POC requires a HANS or equivalent for a lot of the folks/classes. I'll need a new suit next year anyway cuz mine is worn-out and getting nasty!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:40 AM