Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tightening Head Nuts on 2.0 Heads, Why won't some snug up?
phantom914
post Mar 11 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #1

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

I am reassembling a stock 2.0 but it seems that no matter how many times I re-check with the torque wrench, some of the nuts on the head studs still turn a little bit every time while others hold steady after their first torque to 23 ft-lbs.

I torqued in the correct sequence as recommented in the Wilson rebuild book. But, as I said, when I let the engine sit and then go back and re-check, some of those damn nuts turn slightly.

I finally pulled a head and cylinders off and removed the studs. The threads in the case appear normal, with nice, sharp threads, so I don't think the studs are pulling out, or can one tell just by looking? . Also, it seems that some of the long studs are doing this, but not the shorter top studs. What could be going on? I can't imagine that the studs are stretching.

Should I just duct tape the heads on? Glue? Chewing gum?

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Mar 11 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Does the spec call for anti seize or oil on the threads and under the nut? I've been told before to back off 1/4 turn or so before retorquing, but that was for a water cooled engine.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Mar 11 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #3

You going to the speed fest in fontana with me and Tony? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Mar 11 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 11 2005, 10:57 AM)
Does the spec call for anti seize or oil on the threads and under the nut? I've been told before to back off 1/4 turn or so before retorquing, but that was for a water cooled engine.

Hmm. I did apply anti-seize to the short studs since they are exposed and rust, but I did not apply any to the long studs which are under the rocker cover and get oiled. Could that make a difference I wonder? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

Andrew
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Mar 11 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 11 2005, 10:58 AM)
You going to the speed fest in fontana with me and Tony? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Doubtful. Can't go to WCC either for the same reasons.

Andrew
+Quote Post
bondo
post Mar 11 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (phantom914 @ Mar 11 2005, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 11 2005, 10:57 AM)

Hmm. I did apply anti-seize to the short studs since they are exposed and rust, but I did not apply any to the long studs which are under the rocker cover and get oiled. Could that make a difference I wonder? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

Andrew

It makes a big difference! Find out what the spec calls for (factory manuals maybe?) and do what it says for all studs. Hopefully that will fix it. (An alternative would be to ask Jake (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) ) We'll take lots of pics at the speedfest!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:18 AM