Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has this Lift been discussed, it's in and it's up
76-914
post Nov 17 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

This looks like just what I need but I never saw it before Costco offered it. I really like the idea of leaving one post anchored and the other one detached when not in use.

Dannmar MaxJax™ 2-post Portable Auto Lift
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.costco-static.com-419-1447854690.1.jpg)

http://www.costco.com/.product.11589445.ht...goryTopProducts
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 17 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Someone at rennlist has been selling this (with a special) for a while now. Most really like it but some have complained the fittings are a little cheap and can leak. If replaced, people have been happy with it.
The idea looks great- I've got a pit in my shop (dug it MANY years ago before lifts were really available or popular) otherwise I'd probably get one.
Imagine once you have it, you'll wonder how you lived without it!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 17 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #3

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 17 2015, 08:54 PM) *

This looks like just what I need but I never saw it before Costco offered it. I really like the idea of leaving one post anchored and the other one detached when not in use. http://www.costco.com/.product.11589445.ht...goryTopProducts

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) MAXJAX
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 17 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

One of the guys from my SCCA region has one. He likes it a lot. He has 2010 Mini Cooper, Miata, many VWs (60s - 70s).
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 17 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Not sure how old you are but the word portable needs to be measured based upon your strength.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 17 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Did you watch the video Rich. It's like moving a loaded dolly and I would need to roll it ten feet across a concrete floor. Besides, I'd have lots of new friends to help me move it around if I couldn't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 17 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Well, I will say that I am not as strong as I used to be and that type of thing ( I did watch the video) may be ok, but it may also stay bolted in place forever....

Rich
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 17 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have a buddy who got one (Costco) so I've seen it first hand.

The big pro is it's a real lift if you only have 8' ceilings and it's more than enough to work on a 914. Hell of a lot better than jackstands.

Cons, some of the parts like the hoses are cheap, welds are a bit rough and the anchors are not the best so they will try to sell you $200 epoxy anchors. It doesn't lift that high and you can't park a 2nd car under it. The arms are a bit on the short side, 6000lbs so it won't lift bigger than a stock P/U. It's a bit slow and it doesn't lift quite evenly, IIRC a couple inches out is within their spec. Compared to my lift the steel arms (everything) are made with much lighter steel thickness.
It sets up easy enough, but I would think most would only do this if they had to.

Note Anchor part I did pull off of on-line reviews, buddy had no issue as the garage is a new build last year and he planned (floor thickness) for this lift. Rest was easy to compare to my lift.

Does it compare to my AAMCO 7K, 2-post, full height, made in USA, certified lift?
Hell no! Not even close.

Is it better than jackstands? Fuching right it is. I'd also say it's a step up on the scissor lift.

PS The maxjax weigh 880 lbs as per their site. My commercial AMMCO lift I'm not sure, but I had it on my 12' small car float (3500 lbs rated single axle) and it weighs way more than a 914, I'm guessing 3000 lbs.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 18 2015, 04:55 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I looked into this lift, but if you have nine feet or more of ceiling height, I'd go with a "permanent" two post. I chose an Atlas BP8000

(http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000)

Yes, it's Chinese, but I found Chinese units for much higher prices from other manufacturers. Most of the US companies wanted north of $3k.

Certified, no, but there appears to be a good reputation for these units, and I know two independent mechanics who have been using this model daily for several years sans issues.

I have 9' 10" of headroom in the garage, with most of our cars I get 5' to 5.5' of lift which to me is significantly better than 4'. I also like having a stop every 6" versus just two positions on the MaxJack.
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Nov 18 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Like this?

Attached Image

I have one. I really like it. It is very easy to set up. It only takes about 10 mins.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Nov 18 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,896

@ A&P -- it looks like you put in new concrete floor under the lift, can you tell us more about that?

+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Nov 18 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The lift is secured to the floor with concrete anchors. The minimum required concrete slab thickness is 4" to set the anchors. My slab was only 3.5" thick. I had my floor cut and dug out. My concrete in now 8" thick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

No problem lifting a Jeep wrangler unlimited.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 18 2015, 09:25 AM
Post #13

Wow, the 914 think tank has come thru again. Some very good tips and points. Yes. I would prefer a 4 post permanent install and they do lift higher but the garage door track and a fir down in the ceiling negate any height benefits that model provides. Also, when it's time to move and downsize this can be easily removed and sold or just moved to the new place. More importantly, I won't monopolize the garage and it can still be a 2 car garage. My garage floor is 20' wide and all of the 2 & 4 post models take up more than 10'. It seems that the uneven height that is discussed with this model would only occur during lift or descent. Wouldn't it be even if in the "locked" position? One very good point that I need to verify pre purchase is the slab thickness. Very important!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 18 2015, 09:34 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Not the perfect lift for every car or every garage but a great lift for a small garage and our small 914's.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Nov 18 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

The point about not "monopolizing" garage space is what the MaxJax is meant for. If you don't have that issue then it's a no brainer to get a full height lift (given they're about the same price). But if you want to be able to use the space to park cars then it's an ideal solution. IIRC, the concrete specs also say it must be reinforced (rebar) concrete. Drilling the holes can be challening if you hit rebar in a couple of places as I did. Drilling through the rebar takes longer and increases the chances of runout, in turn necessitating the use of some epoxy anchors. So you might want to budget for the possibility of ordering some expoxy anchors and expoxy (and a caulking gun that is strong enough for the epoxy).

Lift level should be the same once you set it on the locking pins assuming you have a level floor (mine slopes toward a drain so it's not perfectly level side to side but it works for me).
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Nov 18 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,469

Yea 7 inches to spare on my ceiling height. Decisions decisions I was planning on getting a scissor lift

David
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 18 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 18 2015, 07:25 AM) *

Wow, the 914 think tank has come thru again. Some very good tips and points. Yes. I would prefer a 4 post permanent install and they do lift higher but the garage door track and a fir down in the ceiling negate any height benefits that model provides. Also, when it's time to move and downsize this can be easily removed and sold or just moved to the new place. More importantly, I won't monopolize the garage and it can still be a 2 car garage. My garage floor is 20' wide and all of the 2 & 4 post models take up more than 10'. It seems that the uneven height that is discussed with this model would only occur during lift or descent. Wouldn't it be even if in the "locked" position? One very good point that I need to verify pre purchase is the slab thickness. Very important!

I got my scissor lift from these guys. It was $1000 about 6 years ago. They have a shop at 42660 Rio Nedo Rd. Temecula. The local number is 951-296-3860. http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Specia...Lifts-s/294.htm

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Nov 19 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 18 2015, 02:55 AM) *

I looked into this lift, but if you have nine feet or more of ceiling height, I'd go with a "permanent" two post. I chose an Atlas BP8000

(http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000)

Yes, it's Chinese, but I found Chinese units for much higher prices from other manufacturers. Most of the US companies wanted north of $3k.

Certified, no, but there appears to be a good reputation for these units, and I know two independent mechanics who have been using this model daily for several years sans issues.

I have 9' 10" of headroom in the garage, with most of our cars I get 5' to 5.5' of lift which to me is significantly better than 4'. I also like having a stop every 6" versus just two positions on the MaxJack.

I have the Atlas BP8000 and it's a quality product. I've had professional mechanics give it the thumbs up. All steel is thick, welds are solid and the hardware is very good quality. I paid $1450 since we (me and a buddy) bought two. We picked them up at the warehouse in Delaware using a car trailer, so there was no shipping or sales tax. It took about 2 1/2 hours to install with the help of 2 buddies. You will need help to muscle up the posts to a vertical position - they are very heavy! Added bonus - you gain another parking spot if your garage is tall enough.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 19 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #19

Well uh yeah. That was kind of my point. I don't have room for that w/o making some sacrifices. Another nice thought is, how can this not have excellent resale value. Buyer wants to see it work? No problem. 5 min to show it works. All the used lifts I found were in a heap but they all worked, allegedly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) No way am I going to buy w/o a try out.
Anyway, check this out. The Costco flyer list the MaxJax as "Online price $2,299.99
Off - 300.00
Your Cost 1999.99
OK so far. Then I check online today (11/19) and the online price is $2099.99??? The flyer does state the sale begins 11/23. It will be interesting to see what the online price becomes that day. I'll be sure to check at midnite 11/22. $1699.99 would be sweet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 19 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,741

Atlas BP8000 here as well. It might be built in China but it's not Chinese junk. Very well made and I bought one after extensive research. American made are much more expensive.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 05:42 PM