Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Has this Lift been discussed, it's in and it's up
76-914
post Nov 17 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

This looks like just what I need but I never saw it before Costco offered it. I really like the idea of leaving one post anchored and the other one detached when not in use.

Dannmar MaxJax™ 2-post Portable Auto Lift
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.costco-static.com-419-1447854690.1.jpg)

http://www.costco.com/.product.11589445.ht...goryTopProducts
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
dcheek
post Nov 20 2015, 08:18 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 19 2015, 05:11 PM) *

Well uh yeah. That was kind of my point. I don't have room for that w/o making some sacrifices. Another nice thought is, how can this not have excellent resale value. Buyer wants to see it work? No problem. 5 min to show it works. All the used lifts I found were in a heap but they all worked, allegedly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) No way am I going to buy w/o a try out.
Anyway, check this out. The Costco flyer list the MaxJax as "Online price $2,299.99
Off - 300.00
Your Cost 1999.99
OK so far. Then I check online today (11/19) and the online price is $2099.99??? The flyer does state the sale begins 11/23. It will be interesting to see what the online price becomes that day. I'll be sure to check at midnite 11/22. $1699.99 would be sweet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

The Danmar lift was in the running when I was researching all the different brands and types of lifts that are out there. I seem to remember back then Cosco had a similar deal that had expired before I had a chance to order. I called Danmar direct and they said they would give me the same price that Cosco was advertising. You might want to give them a call and see if they will sell it to you for $1699.99. What's the worst they can say - No?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 20 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #22

I checked the Costco Website today (3 days prior to the sale) and the new .com price is $1799 While supplies last. I jumped on it. If it goes down any further after the 23rd Costco will honor it. Best of all, if I have an issue with it I can return it to the local Costco. Hot Damn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I'm going to enjoy this. Time to start planning my new exhaust system. This is better than pockets on a shirt! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 20 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #23

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

You'll love how easy it is to drop the engine using a lift. I wish the maxjax was available at that price when I bought my QuickJack. Hey...anyone want to buy a QuickJack at a deep discount (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)?
+Quote Post
somd914
post Nov 20 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lifer with a lift is great. Enjoy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Nov 20 2015, 09:46 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Congratulations! You are going to love it! I have had zero problems with mine.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 21 2015, 01:22 AM
Post #26

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(dcheek @ Nov 19 2015, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 18 2015, 02:55 AM) *

I looked into this lift, but if you have nine feet or more of ceiling height, I'd go with a "permanent" two post. I chose an Atlas BP8000

(http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000)

Yes, it's Chinese, but I found Chinese units for much higher prices from other manufacturers. Most of the US companies wanted north of $3k.

Certified, no, but there appears to be a good reputation for these units, and I know two independent mechanics who have been using this model daily for several years sans issues.

I have 9' 10" of headroom in the garage, with most of our cars I get 5' to 5.5' of lift which to me is significantly better than 4'. I also like having a stop every 6" versus just two positions on the MaxJack.

I have the Atlas BP8000 and it's a quality product. I've had professional mechanics give it the thumbs up. All steel is thick, welds are solid and the hardware is very good quality. I paid $1450 since we (me and a buddy) bought two. We picked them up at the warehouse in Delaware using a car trailer, so there was no shipping or sales tax. It took about 2 1/2 hours to install with the help of 2 buddies. You will need help to muscle up the posts to a vertical position - they are very heavy! Added bonus - you gain another parking spot if your garage is tall enough.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-6103-1447977998.jpg)

I don't really want to get into a discussion on the quality of chinese lifts, but I will say this and after that you can do the research on your own.

This is a 8000 lbs lift at 1290 lbs shipping weight, all the steel is 6mm, so just under 1/4".

My 7000 lbs USA made lift is at least twice this weight and everyting is 3/8" or 1/2" steel, the arms are 1/2" steel.

Not being a Debbie Downer and these lifts are more than adequate for a light 914, but if you are planing on lifting near the stated capacity (i.e. large P/U truck) this is info you should know and research.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Nov 26 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #27

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

have had my MaxJax since 2010 - it is wonderful

+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 6 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #28

Well, it's in and I frigging (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) it. If you have the room then get a Full sized lift. But if your like 95% of us with a std garage; this is the one you need. I spaced mine wider than I had originally planned so I could service my wider vehicles as well. Why not? It's portable and that post will only be there when in use. Otherwise it's stored away.

Attached Image

Attached Image

A "new to me" view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

A subliminal message (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Dec 6 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looks very similar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I love mine as well. Funny mine didn't come with that cool yellow sticker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
913B
post Dec 6 2015, 02:20 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

Kent, the anchors, is that something you want a professional to set into the concrete ?
Will it go high enough, have you tried store another teener underneath it ?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Ted
+Quote Post
turk22
post Dec 6 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #31

Treetop Flyer

Member No.: 14,725
Region Association: Upper MidWest

so jealous! looks great.
Interested in the questions above as well...
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 7 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 73

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Nice. Definitely have to get one of those now. I think I have room for a full sized lift but almost bought a 4 poster. Seems like the 2 post is the way to go if you want to work on your car a lot since there's better access to the underside.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Dec 7 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

I have room for a 4 post, I would like to use the one car garage to store one on top. Any disadvantage on a 4 post vs 2 post for our cars?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 7 2015, 09:29 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 6 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Well, it's in and I frigging (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) it. If you have the room then get a Full sized lift. But if your like 95% of us with a std garage; this is the one you need. I spaced mine wider than I had originally planned so I could service my wider vehicles as well. Why not? It's portable and that post will only be there when in use. Otherwise it's stored away.

Attached Image

Attached Image

A "new to me" view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

A subliminal message (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Dec 6 2015, 09:44 AM) *

Looks very similar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I love mine as well. Funny mine didn't come with that cool yellow sticker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I did send you a sticker, didn't I?

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Dec 6 2015, 12:20 PM) *

Kent, the anchors, is that something you want a professional to set into the concrete ?
Will it go high enough, have you tried store another teener underneath it ?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Ted

The trick is locating and missing the steel reinforcement in your slab. You'll need a large hammer drill to turn the 7/8" bit. If your not comfortable with this they offer pro install. You find it in the fine print when you order a lift. I'll see if my other teener will fit beneath tonight. It's going to be very close.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 7 2015, 06:14 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Nice. Definitely have to get one of those now. I think I have room for a full sized lift but almost bought a 4 poster. Seems like the 2 post is the way to go if you want to work on your car a lot since there's better access to the underside.

Hey Chris, I could have shoe horned a 4 post lift inside but I didn't want to navigate around those posts from now on. And a 2 post would have extended into the other bay leaving enough room for another sub compact vehicle, only. Neither would have been able to reach their full height so this model was my best bet. In fact, I set the width of this one at 130" so I can service my wider vehicles as well. Why not? It's goes back into storage in less than 10 mins time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 7 2015, 06:36 AM) *

I have room for a 4 post, I would like to use the one car garage to store one on top. Any disadvantage on a 4 post vs 2 post for our cars?

Paul, IMHO, the 2 post offers greater accessibility. Especially if your doing any wheel or brake work.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Dec 7 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #35

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

I got this one for 300.00 an old used service station brake work or bodyshop 3/4 lift. works great. Check craigs list if your not looking for something new and pristene.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914time
post Dec 8 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 17,750

This is one of those four post, 8000lb lifts. All steel and comes with dollies to roll it around when needed. You can fit most cars underneath. That is a VW Thing under it in this pic.

The garage has a 12' ceiling with jackshaft style door openers (not an overhead motor for more clearance).

Works very well and not terribly pricey.

Sorry about the dirty floor. It was winter.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 20 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #37

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Maxjax $1650 shipped on Amazon right now, and was about 2-3 months ago so seems to be a regular sales price.

Dannmar Maxjax
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Nov 20 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 7 2015, 06:36 AM) *

A 4-post is great for storage and adequate for engine and 'center of car' work. But, not so good for wheel-end work. If you're creative with scissor jacks or small floor jacks you can make it work, but not much fun to lift a car when its parked on the ramps. I ended up adding a QuickJack set up to my arsenal for working on the car and couldn't be happier. Doesn't lift as high as the MaxJack, but its much easier to move and smaller to store.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Nov 21 2017, 07:32 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 18 2015, 06:39 AM) *

The lift is secured to the floor with concrete anchors. The minimum required concrete slab thickness is 4" to set the anchors. My slab was only 3.5" thick. I had my floor cut and dug out. My concrete in now 8" thick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No problem lifting a Jeep wrangler unlimited.

I tore out all the 2x4s in my house and replaced them with 2x8s only to find out they were 1 1/2 x7 1/8 what a rip off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 21 2017, 09:53 AM
Post #40

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Buddy of mine has a portable lift. Works like a pallet jack, you can move it around. The feet are pretty far apart which makes it very stable.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 07:04 AM