Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Carbs - Cold Weather Starting
Bulldog9
post Nov 17 2015, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Would appreciate any advice on techniques for starting cold and on cold days.

I know the DRLA/IDF does not have a choke, but what is a good reliable starting technique when starting cold, particularly on cold days?

I have the hot/warm start technique down, is a part throttle turn key and engine fires and runs well. This is how I start my CV carb's motorcycles, and works well for the 912, but on a COLD start, I feel like I either flood the motor, or it doesn't get enough fuel and needs to be cranked A LOT............

It also seems to me as though the fuel drains back out of the lines and into the tank and the pump has to refill they lines. I understand this is a low pressure system and pump, but almost feels like I need a check valve.

I had a heck of a time getting it to start on Sunday, was 35 degrees, cranked quite a bit and didn't catch at all, smelled flooded, so I held pedal to the floor and cranked again, it eventually caught and started and other than having to feather the throttle till warm, ran fine....

So, other than 2 pumps, then hold throttle part open and crank, what is a good cold start technique?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 11:15 PM