Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> replacing passenger, side headlight bucket
arkitect
post Nov 25 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

A friend is planning on replacing the passenger side light bucket from a donor vehicle. It's up on a rotisserie now, just trying to see where is the best place to cut.

Body guys have any suggestions? Number 1 cut is where I was thinking, past the bucket and damage, thru the bottom then over the inner wheel well and outer fender. The trick will be to match the cut on the donor vehicle. But once the fit is close, butt weld with the little clamps that hold the metal with the right gap.

He plans on doing flares later and a subaru transplant, so some of the inner wheel well where this is some damage will be removed for coolant lines to the new radiator any ways.

Number 2 cut is what he was thinking at the weatherstrip track, just a lot of overlapping metal. Peel apart and mend the new with the donor. I think this would be pretty difficult.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Attached Image

random pict I found, not his car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
scotty b
post Nov 25 2015, 07:47 AM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Always cut WAY more than the section you know you need ( #1) . You may get the damaged one out and find more issues beyond what is obvious. I would rough cut the bulk of the damaged one out, then use a grinder with a flap disc to grind down the spot welded flange. Do the opposite on the donor section. Cut the bulk of the car away from the bucket, then grind down the spot weld flange on the OUTSIDE ( main body ) of the bucket. This is going to leave you with a nice bucket that you can either plug weld, or spot weld given you have access to a single sided spot welder.

Hope this made sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Nov 25 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,426

Scotty,
thanks for the reply.

Dave
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 03:51 AM