Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> exhaust ports and pushrod tubes, need to poll the World Brain Trust
iankarr
post Nov 27 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi Guys,

Making good process on getting the engine cleaned up and tightened so it leaks less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif). I hadn't planned on removing a heat exchanger, but it was the easiest way to rotate the engine on the stand so I could have easier access to the pushrod tubes. Happy to report that the HE nuts came off pretty easily. But when I looked in the ports, the copper gaskets weren't as clean as I'd expect. Would appreciate it if the brain trust would take a look.

I have new copper gaskets, and was thinking I'd "true" up the ports on the HE before replacing. Any tips/thoughts on that?

Also, I've read a bunch o' threads on changing the pushrod tube seals, but would appreciate any real-world suggestions.

Finally...is it OK to work on the motor upside-down on the stand? All oil has been thoroughly drained. Anything to watch out for there?

Thanks!

Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 27 2015, 01:52 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I always flatten the headers with a very large file. Use a marker or paint on the edge of the pipes and file both together with long strokes till the paint is gone. Anneal the new gaskets with a torch to soften them. A dowel rod with some sandpaper glued to the end will help to clean up the ports on the head.

If the push rods aren't leaking, I wouldn't disturb them.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 27 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 27 2015, 11:52 AM) *

I always flatten the headers with a very large file. Use a marker or paint on the edge of the pipes and file both together with long strokes till the paint is gone. Anneal the new gaskets with a torch to soften them. A dowel rod with some sandpaper glued to the end will help to clean up the ports on the head.

If the push rods aren't leaking, I wouldn't disturb them.

Use the Viton seals....and depending if you listen to Elliot....use lots of silicone.

Just kidding. You shouldn't need any just make sure the keeper spings are centered in the tubes correctly and seated otherwise they will rub the push rods.

Use the hi temp anti-sieze on the exhaust flange nuts.

In addition to annealing the copper gaskets I use the high temp copper silicone with my finger on the exhaust ports after the gaskets are in.

They haven't leaked in three years.

They are lots of threads on this and some degree of opinions....one thing I would highly recommend is that you make sure the exhaust is not leaking inside the tube and exchangers so that you aren't getting exhaust fumes inside the cabin. Not good.

My 02. cents
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 27 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. Will check the integrity of the HE to make sure nothing's getting inside...though I'm pretty sure all's well. I have a 65 mustang with original manifolds that are notorious for burning through exhaust donuts and unfortunately know the signs of CO exposure!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:57 AM