Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting from Fuel Injection to Carbs, Need Fuel Distrabution help
SirAndy
post Nov 30 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #21

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Here's a pic of what the flaps look like when in the full cooling position.

Note that the passenger side flap is pointing down to direct air into the oil cooler.
Without that flap down like that (or no flap at all) none of the air would be forced through the oil cooler.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-179-1448931124.1.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Robin914-4
post Nov 30 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2015, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 30 2015, 04:19 PM) *
It works better with the t-stat, but the cooling system will still work without it. It will take longer to warm up, of course. But leaving the flaps out sill keep the air from going the places that it is supposed to go, and your engine will not like you for it.

We have seen these engines go from "TOO DAMN HOT" to "normal operating temps" just by installing those flaps.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Without a thermostat the cooling flaps will simply sit in the "full cooling" position which is OK if you're fine with the longer warmup times.

However, running an engine without the cooling flaps will result in a quick and ugly heatstroke death.
Among other things, running without the flaps means you will have NO air going through your oil cooler.

It's a sure way to turn that engine into a boat anchor.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Okay, heat flaps it is. What does the T-Stat look like (I am sure it doesn't look anything like the ones in my Fords and Dodges)? I have built a few engines in my day even some air cooled engines but more in the V-Twin and Vertical twin variety which means I am a little bit of a novice here. How hard is it going to be to install the flaps with the engine in the car or should I just plan on dropping it again?

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Robin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 30 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #23

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I believe you can install the flaps with the engine in the car (although I did it with engine out, so I could be wrong). You basically need to remove all the top tin which is the challenge.

The thermostat "bellows" looks like this (although this picture may be from a Type I, but it's basically the same thing):

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-17042-1448933437.1.jpg)

When cool, it's compressed like in the picture above. It's mounted to the bottom of the engine case near oil pan on driver side. When warm, it expands. There's a wire attached to it that feeds around a pulley and up a hole in the tin topside. As it expands it lets more wire out and that allows the springs to open the flaps into their cooling position. After shutdown, as it cools down, the bellows contract again. If you get one make sure you get one that fails in the full cooling position. There are versions out there that apparently fail in the cold position (less cooling). There is a guy that manufactures them: Awesome Powdercoat.

Rube Goldberg would be proud.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 30 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #24

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here's a close up picture of my engine topside. In the white circle you can see the wire that comes up through a hole in the tin. It attaches to that clamp which is spring loaded and mounted to the cooling flaps rod. The rod is partially held in place by that little flat piece next to the spring (I had to fabricate one because I was missing mine). This picture was taken with a cold engine. When it warms up that clamp will rotate, I dunno, maybe 60 degrees (?) CCW (from the direction this picture was taken). As others have said it's not strictly necessary to have the thermostat in place. It's not GOOD for the engine or your gas mileage but you won't have a catastrophic failure necessarily, like you can expect at some point without cooling flaps.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Robin914-4
post Dec 1 2015, 05:09 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,419

Thanks again for your help and the pictures were HUGE! I am going to go through the boxes of stuff I have and see how much of this I still have. It's been a few years and I'm old enough I have CRS (Can't Remember Shit).

At least if I have to drop the engine it's easy enough to do!

Thanks again for everything guys.

R
+Quote Post
maf914
post Dec 1 2015, 07:56 AM
Post #26

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2015, 04:52 PM) *

Note that the passenger side flap is pointing down to direct air into the oil cooler.
Without that flap down like that (or no flap at all) none of the air would be forced through the oil cooler.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-179-1448931124.1.jpg)

SirAndy, good picture and explanation. I think it is a common misunderstanding that removal of the flaps will result in less interference to airflow and therefor better cooling. But, as you noted, removal of the flap which directs air to the oil cooler results in the oil cooler no longer doing its job.
+Quote Post
SA-914
post Apr 10 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 17,566
Region Association: Southwest Region

Has anyone considered lowering the operating temp of the tstat for carbs? Typical tstats say 85-90 for fi, and mention a lower temp for vw's running carbs.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 10 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2015, 06:52 PM) *

I looked at the system for a long time and swore that the pass side flap in that position will direct the least air flow over the oil cooler.
In that position the oil cooler air flow is almost completely blocked.

When I removed my cooler entirely, I riveted the door DOWN in that position to stop air flow to the cooler.
Is that the incorrect method to stop flow to the cooler?
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 10 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #29

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 10 2016, 01:52 PM) *

I looked at the system for a long time and swore that the pass side flap in that position will direct the least air flow over the oil cooler.

When I removed my cooler entirely, I riveted the door DOWN in that position to stop air flow to the cooler.

Take a look at this pic with the flaps only partially open. That passenger side flap has a flange that curves down into the fan housing. When the flaps are all the way open, like in SirAndy's pic, that flange directs some of the air right to the oil cooler, while most of the air goes over it to the cylinders.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 10 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 10 2016, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 10 2016, 01:52 PM) *

Take a look at this pic with the flaps only partially open. That passenger side flap has a flange that curves down into the fan housing. When the flaps are all the way open, like in SirAndy's pic, that flange directs some of the air right to the oil cooler, while most of the air goes over it to the cylinders.

Yes, but if you close that flap (all the way down) I dont see how that directs MORE air over the cooler. It seems that is the position that has the least flow to the cooler.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 10 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #31

J is for Genius

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 10 2016, 02:26 PM) *

Yes, but if you close that flap (all the way down) I dont see how that directs MORE air over the cooler. It seems that is the position that has the least flow to the cooler.

Because when it's completely closed there is no air going to the oil cooler. Flap up (cold) is closed. Flap down (hot) is open.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 10 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 10 2016, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 10 2016, 02:26 PM) *

Because when it's completely closed there is no air going to the oil cooler. Flap up (cold) is closed. Flap down (hot) is open.

Sorry for the hijack.
If the flap is in the position shown on the right, I believe this blocks flow to the cooler and provides max flow over the cylinders.
It is hard to visualize because the engine tin that covers the cooler is missing in that pic.
But I believe the flap blocks all flow to the cooler when pressed down all the way.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 10 2016, 12:55 PM
Post #33

J is for Genius

Here's a drawing I found online that illustrates what is happening with the flaps. Does that make sense now? See how the air goes under the flap to the cooler?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 10 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #34

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

That drawing is a great find! Hopefully it puts to rest the controversy over how air gets to the oil cooler. I was skeptical myself until I took the system apart and saw how the vane works. Ingenious.
+Quote Post
jvmarino
post Apr 10 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 10,188

Another fuel tank related item you may want to consider when running carbs is a vacuum relief. I never had one on mine and then one day after a long drive I had fuel starvation. I opened fuel filler to confirm there was fuel in tank and heard a large rush of air in tank and sounds of the metal fuel tank relaxing from being under strong vacuum. I later found some posts about this and added a relief valve on my car. I am sure some others that have more experience can provide their thoughts.

Jim
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 10 2016, 01:59 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 10 2016, 12:55 PM) *

Here's a drawing I found online that illustrates what is happening with the flaps. Does that make sense now? See how the air goes under the flap to the cooler?

Thanks!

Great!, I guess I need to get under my car and see if I can close the slot where air is now blowing onto my oil cooler that is no longer there....
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 10 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Robin914-4 @ Nov 29 2015, 11:15 AM) *

Excellent! Thanks for the replies, I will just cap it. Yes I have already put all of the lines in so it is T-ed and ready to go. So I guess I will post a couple of pictures. I have had this car for 5 years but it sat for 3 of those because of working out of state. Now I am trying to get back on it and get it going again. This is not my first Porsche but it is my first air cooled boxer.

What have I done so far? Motor rebuild with big bore kit. Ported and polished the heads myself. 901 (I think that was the number, it's supposed to be THE distributor for a type 4 motor) distributor, electronic pick up, MSD 6A ignition box, flame thrower coil. So as soon as I get the fuel all situated and working I will get the ignition system set up and see if I can make it run for the first time in 5 years. Have done some work to the body, fiberglass front airdam, reworking ugly bumpers into the car... Then, the fun part. Making all of the rest work and look good.

Robin
1976 Porsche 914 2.0 (before the kit)
2003 Victory V92DC
1964 BSA A65
1982 Yamaha Vision 550 twin

You can remove one fuel filter and put one only in the pressure line before the tee fitting,I wouldn't feel happy with the screw type hose clamps you have,get the correct band type fuel hose ones as they don't cut the hose up when tightened.
As mentioned ditch that pressure regulator they don't work well and are known to leak,the holley low pressure one is cheap and cheerful,I say this because I have had experience with both bad and good in that order.
Have you speced these carbs for your engine size? ,make sure the venturies aren't too large many of these larger carbs are sold like that,it causes a huge flat spot in the lower rpm range and makes the car miserable to drive.
Aircooled.net have a good basic set-up guide if you haven't been there yet.
Good advise given so far on the cooling flaps,when you have done that you can get some rubber grommets and plug all the unused holes in your engine bay....every bit helps to make a cooler running engine.
Good luck getting it running.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 10 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 10 2016, 01:55 PM) *

Very useful, thanks for the drawing.

Is there any way to test this system with the engine in the car? I have a terrible problem with high oil temps in the summer time (like "260-270+ terrible", verified with the dipstick thermometer). Runs great today (45*) but some summer time (80-90+) I gotta keep movin'...

I have verified from underneath (I have a lift) that the bellows is working (used a home propane torch to test it), and I can hear some items "clank" at full travel either way. But I'm not seein' a way to verify position of these flaps without having to dig down into the engine covers.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Apr 10 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #39

J is for Genius

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 10 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Very useful, thanks for the drawing.

Is there any way to test this system with the engine in the car? I have a terrible problem with high oil temps in the summer time (like "260-270+ terrible", verified with the dipstick thermometer). Runs great today (45*) but some summer time (80-90+) I gotta keep movin'...

I have verified from underneath (I have a lift) that the bellows is working (used a home propane torch to test it), and I can hear some items "clank" at full travel either way. But I'm not seein' a way to verify position of these flaps without having to dig down into the engine covers.

The bar that the flaps are attached to can be seen from above the engine. (Don't pay attention to the red circles. I pulled this image off google.) On the left side near the spring is a little tab. You can manually turn the flaps if you disconnect the cable and see that they're at full open or closed. Default position is at full open in case the cable or thermostat breaks.
I suppose it's possible that the individual flaps themselves may be out of whack. The only way to know would be to remove the cooling tins.

High oil temps could also be due to a worn oil pressure release valve. The stock valve has an oil cooler bypass function for warm up that can wear out over time and allow too much oil to bypass the cooler. If you get the upgraded one from Tangerine Racing it'll eliminate that problem.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Apr 10 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #40

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Robin914-4 @ Nov 28 2015, 01:06 PM) *

Hey Everybody. I have been searching for an hour with no luck. I have a 1976 914/4 that I have converted over to 44mm Empi's. Now I am setting up the fuel system, new low pressure pump, stainless lines, presure regulator, etc. what I can't figure out is what to do with the extra line I have on the fuel tank. Should I cap it? Vent it? I did run both stainless line back to the engine bay so I could t them in or what ever. I just need some guidance.

Thanks in advance.
Robin

Having BTDT, the best advice I could give is this: Go back to the original fuel injection as it is a dependable and fine performing setup. Carburetion that is poorly setup (combined with disabled cooling system) will lead to quick demise of your poor engine. I have never seen a street 914 improved by removing the FI, but have seen several with the opposite result.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 05:49 PM