Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel or ignition?
last337
post Dec 6 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

Well its definitely carbs although no idea what about them. Plugs #2 & #3 look ashy like lean foul and #1 & #4 look perfect. Any advice on what I might look for on that?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 6 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 6 2015, 11:13 AM) *

Well its definitely carbs although no idea what about them. Plugs #2 & #3 look ashy like lean foul and #1 & #4 look perfect. Any advice on what I might look for on that?

If one side (bank/carb) is different from the other side, it is unlikely it is a spark problem.

my next guess is that the carbs are out of synch.
Do you have a synchrometer?

IMO, they are an absolute must for dual carbs.
Even with the tangerine racing linkage, you have to set them at one place (RPM range).
+Quote Post
BK911
post Dec 6 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,674

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 6 2015, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 6 2015, 11:13 AM) *

If one side (bank/carb) is different from the other side, it is unlikely it is a spark problem

Unless those plug wires are crossed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
2nd the carb synch problem.
+Quote Post
last337
post Dec 10 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,221

I am still waiting on some rebuild kits to come in but after cleaning these things thoroughly I am amazed how much crud was hiding inside of them. I am starting to think that it may have been a problem either a problem with the seats for the main jets or the transition ports, or both. The pic is of the crud left in the cleaning liquid after two days. The liquid itself went from almost clear to almost black. I could barely see the bottom of this container with an LED flashlight.

So my question is this, Tomlinson always talks about how a small piece of trash can cause huge problems in these things. And granted, there can be a lot of trash hiding inside if them; I know that now. But after really getting to know these things, the channels inside from place to place seem huge. It would seem that it would have to be a substantial piece of debris to really stop something up. I get that the flow characteristics of air/fuel etc can change based on trash in the bores etc. But can it really cause them to just stop working? In my case, could it cause the transition from idle to main circuit to fail completely?

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 06:40 AM