Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fat lando's starter misery......, ran perfect all day for the meet & greet
fatlando
post Mar 13 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,700

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
I don't get it...after hanging out and driving all day with the puget sound crew.....my car didn't start this afternoon and was acting like before....

any ideas??

now i just want to get rid of my car!

Here's some background.

installed new starter, didn't work. realized it was connected wrong. reconnected it as recommended and the car drove like a dream for two days.

now it's not starting (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 13 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #2

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Not starting? Not turning over? Not firing but cranking? Only does it when it's warm?

Need input.....
+Quote Post
fatlando
post Mar 13 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 13 2005, 04:36 PM)
Not starting? Not turning over? Not firing but cranking? Only does it when it's warm?

Need input.....

Turn the key, hear the familiar hum, then nothing. I hear a click, but thats it.

I did the screw driver against the two posts but only got sparks, not the usual jump and get out the way thing.

thanx for the reply.

fat lando
+Quote Post
porschewrench
post Mar 13 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,874

Did you install a new starter , used starter or reman? I would only use a bosch reman, never had any luck with anything else.(30 year porsche tech) Check your grounds. You need a good ground from the battery to body- body to trans/engine(tail of trans to underside side of trunk) Good luck (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Mar 13 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #5

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

Sounds more like lack of power. How's the battery in this thing? Old? New? Drained? Have you checked the alternator? Regulator?
+Quote Post
smooth_eddy
post Mar 13 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,102

Hey fatlando....

If you sell I want those leather seats (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) Just kidding. Are your headlights bright? I had the same problem and by cleaning up my grounds at the negative battery post, and the braided strap under the car cured my problems. Nice meeting you yesterday. Eddy
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 13 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #7

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Yep what they said.....clean the ground & positive posts on the battery and clean or replace the ground strap on the trans (clean the bolts that the strap is held on by).

If that dosen't work, pull the starter and see if it has quit. If it was a noname rebuild they might have not replaced all the parts and you could have a bad starter.

My 70 did the same thing and it went away when I replaced the ground strap with a $5.00 replacement one from FLAPS.
+Quote Post
fatlando
post Mar 13 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 13 2005, 07:46 PM)
Yep what they said.....clean the ground & positive posts on the battery and clean or replace the ground strap on the trans (clean the bolts that the strap is held on by).

If that dosen't work, pull the starter and see if it has quit. If it was a noname rebuild they might have not replaced all the parts and you could have a bad starter.

My 70 did the same thing and it went away when I replaced the ground strap with a $5.00 replacement one from FLAPS.

Bruce,

thanx for the tips, I'll do the terminal thing and ground thing tomorrow. There is some good news though....I've now been able to jack the car up...load the stands,
take off my air filter from the carberator, and take off the starter in exactly 22 minutes!!

So if anyone needs a quick removal guy, let me know!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 14 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

You might also think about a new positive battery cable. Cables internal resistance grow over time. Probably not your problem. But you're there and they're only like $10. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
red914
post Mar 14 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #10

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 13 2005, 10:51 PM)
... Probably not your problem. But you're there and they're only like ...

beware! these words will lead you down a very slippery slope!! don't become a victim of "while i'm in there' disease! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

would love to help with the starter problem, but i know nothing. the grounds straps i have heard can lead to problems of various types, so that is a good way to go i figure.

btw, fatlando; thanks again for the lime green 914-6! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) it looks sooper kewl next to my hotwheels 1973 911rs, and hotwheels 996 gt3 cup!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 14 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #11

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Could very easily be the starter, too. The Bosch re-manufactured units aren't the highest caliber....
I go through one a year it seems. The original lasted 15 years, though. If it is an older remanufacturing job, it could be shorting itself on the cover- do a search here on on pelican for "starter" or similar. Right now I'm about to loose another. Mine start making a clososal "WHUNK" noise when really cold when it hits the compression stroke.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Mar 14 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #12

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would charge the battery and get that starter tested. I have two in my shop that I don't know if they are any good...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 09:23 AM