Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wiring VDO gauges, where to get 12v from
sanman
post Mar 14 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #1

Leaving California

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,219
Region Association: None

just install my vdo gauges. The car is a 70 so Ill need to get 12v to them. What shoud I jump from to power all 4 gauges and light them too. I dont want to over load any thing.

thanks in advance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 14 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I'm assuming you're talking about additional console gauges here...

For lighting, I'd not worry about additional loads. If you have 3-4 gauges, each with one bulb, that's about 2-3W per bulb. Let's say 4x3w bulbs, or 12W, or 1amp at 12v. If you look at the daisy chain powering the lights for the dash gauges, just tap into that. Also tap into the daisy chain for the light grounds. I can't remember off the top of my head if the dimmer controls through power or ground, but if you tap into both, you're sure to get the dimmer to control the console gauges, too.

For power, the gauges will generally draw even less than the lighting circuits do. I great place for getting power for console gauges is the cigarette lighter, which is close by, and is switched and fused. You could also run a wire up to the dash gauges (since you're running light wires, anyway), and just take power from the +12 daisy chain for the gauges.

If one of the gauges you're adding is a voltmeter, I'd run the power and ground wires directly to the battery terminals using 18g wire. This will be the most accurate measure.
+Quote Post
sanman
post Mar 14 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Leaving California

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,219
Region Association: None

thanks zakley what I needed
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:27 PM