Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New California Retro Black Plates, Anybody got them yet?
euro911
post Dec 18 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #21

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 18 2015, 04:44 PM) *
If you're an Auto Club member, you can ask about all types of vanity + black plates while there in the AAA office. They do know their way around the DMV stuff. I get my annual tags there, usual visit is 10 minutes/no appointment/no attitude (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Yeah, been a member since 2007 (within a year of acquiring the 'BB') (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

DMV mails us annual tags, I typically only go to AAA when I get a 'new' vehicle.

I guess I should make a list of other choices if they don't come through with my first choice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 11 2016, 09:57 AM
Post #22

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Hey Mark, did these come in yet?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 11 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(C-Ya MK @ Dec 18 2015, 11:34 AM) *

I patiently waited a long 12.5 weeks, but I'm happy with the results.
Mike

Are you a knitter ?

Beautiful car.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 11 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 11 2016, 07:57 AM) *
Hey Mark, did these come in yet?
I just received a notice that the plates are ready to be picked up at the local DMV office. The notice indicated that I need to provide the documentation for the car that they're going on ... so this might open a can of worms.

The car hasn't been registered for 36 years ... back when there was no such thing as NON-OP status - so if they try to hit me up for back fees, the car is going to AZ and CA can keep the plates (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 11 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I just got mine yesterday…..

Attached Image
+Quote Post
NeunEinVier
post Mar 11 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 19,488
Region Association: None

Neighbor has these plates on his white Benz Bluetec SUV. Kind of an odd combination...
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 11 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #27

7T Porsh

I'm debating to get them or not...already paying the annual fee...I keep hoping the DVW realizes they got way more business than they bargained for and that they should do the blue plates.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 11 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #28

7T Porsh

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 18 2015, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 18 2015, 07:12 AM) *
Very curious whether you can get all numbers (no letters) on the plate.
Crossing my fingers for you Mark!
Yeah, me too, Gary, but I've seen pix of 'numbers only' plates on line: 1957, 1963 & 1966 (like the one shown in the first post).

Really want to see your plate now. If all numbers are allowed ...off to the DMW.
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Mar 11 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 19,245
Region Association: Northern California

I picked mine up today . exactly 12 weeks from order placed to letter notification.

My first choice was denied and got a letter saying they would not be made and money returned.
All numbers, a letter followed by numbers will not be allowed.
Sometimes the system will take the order but each is checked for "rudness" and for "plate sequences already issued" even if the plate sequence is CA exempt or held for other uses if the numbers are in use or a reserved sequence they will be denied.

I called and talked the the person who approves the plates when my first option was poo poo-ed . Yes a real person in Sac !. Her best response is that cameras only recognize the numbers and letters (not even spaces). and would not know if county / city / or other sequence.

I really did not like this re issue at first, as originality is now a bit lost .. but got over it .

Don't tell anyone ... but I have painted white reflector plates (personalized) Blue/ Yellow,(this works great because personalized plates were available in Blue/ Yellow). Also painted them Yellow/ black.& Black/ Yellow.
There are folks who will press plates for display and I did that on my 75 911 , so I kept the real plates and ran the Blue/ Yellow repress plates for 5+ years. Never had an issue . Sold the car with them and that I know of never an issue

From my good friend , who helps me with an occasional "fix it ticket" .If the numbers work the LE computers do not stipulate what "type" of plate it is.

I may well paint this Black/ Yellow to Blue/ Yellow.

YES . I know this isn't what you are supposed to do .and I am not advocating that you do this .. .... I'm just a rebel .. LOL

Go to the on line services on the DMV site . if the numbers are taken it wont let you move to the next step.
Remember is not avaliable sequence or breaks othere rules . the order may be taken. ... then denied.

I waited 8 weeks for my refusal of "73 914" the system took it but ... caught up with me.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 11 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

I waited 98 days for mine. Then, an hour and a half at the DMV. 15 windows, TWO people working the windows. 150+ people waiting. Typical government hacks.

They have NO motivation to move faster and/or be helpful.

What makes me mad is that I own my cars, I pay for EVERYTHING having to do with them, but these pointy headed government idiots act as if they are giving me the privilege of driving them.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 11 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #31

Well, you just have to realize that the people who work at the DMV are the same people the post office let go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 12 2016, 08:56 AM
Post #32

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 18 2015, 04:44 PM) *

If you're an Auto Club member, you can ask about all types of vanity + black plates while there in the AAA office. They do know their way around the DMV stuff. I get my annual tags there, usual visit is 10 minutes/no appointment/no attitude (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Couldn't agree more. When I bought my 1st teener (the 76) I put it on non-op while I got it running. 2 hours, that's right. When it came time to get her on the road I went back to the DMV. 2 hours at the DMV and they couldn't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) locate my title or anything. It was an out of state purchase and I gave them my OG paper work when it was non-oped. Joined AAA that day and I swear to God, I was out of there in 15 mins w/ plates in hand. Every time I drive past a DMV and see all those Fools standing in a block long line I chuckle.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Mar 12 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #33

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

Ordered and paid for mine late December. Expected delivery some time this month, I chose to have them delivered to my local AAA. Waiting patiently........

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Mar 12 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #34

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 11 2016, 04:16 PM) *

I just got mine yesterday…..

Attached Image

Very nice!
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 12 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

I wasn't given the opportunity to have them delivered to a AAA location. I never go to the DMV, unless I have to and I had to.

+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 13 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #36

Just a follow up -

I read somewhere that they had to be delivered to the local DMV office (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ... so I went to the DMV with the title and the old blue rear plate, with the tag on it (never found the front plate). I had to fill out a couple of documents and paid $73. for the new registration (I had previously paid the $50. for the plate reservation on line.) Then I was told that the VIN needed to be verified (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I friend got me in contact with a gal who retired from the DMV and she verified the VIN for the car in question ... ($60., but well worth it) ... I didn't have to rent a trailer and drag it out of storage to take it to the DMV for an inspection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

When I went back to the DMV with the VIN verification document (which is the only paperwork that was lacking), the clerk I got was a real ass-wipe. She wouldn't accept the document and said I had to pay back fees from when the car was last registered (on the order of HUNDREDS of dollars!) I kindly argued my case with her (due to an idiotic DMV employee harassment policy - yes, there's sign on the wall regarding that), without gaining any yardage, so I asked, again, kindly, to speak with the manager.

After about a half-hour, I finally got to discuss the issue with the manager. She seemed to understand the specific codes I offered (directives that are in their vehicle code handbook), and directed me to a different clerk. The 'new' clerk had me fill out one additional document (non-op statement for the years it was in storage), then finalized the registration process and handed me the new registration and my new black retro plates ... 1964 911

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Aug 14 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 13,549

I have the original blue plate on my '72 but have no front plate which is technically illegal in California. Anyone know of anyone that can duplicaste the rear license plate?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 14 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #38

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I ordered personalized plates for my car, see avatar (71 Six) and received them. I then was able to get 1 blue/yellow plate from a private supplier that matched my personalized plate from DMV. Sadly, I only received one and that will be the plate on my car. Blue and yellow is correct for our cars in CA since when new that was what you were issued.
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post Aug 14 2017, 08:06 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 19,630

I ordered mine on May 10th and called on Friday to check on status. They told me that black plates are taking 16 to 18 weeks now.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 14 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 14 2017, 12:16 AM) *
I have the original blue plate on my '72 but have no front plate which is technically illegal in California. Anyone know of anyone that can duplicate the rear license plate
There a at least a couple of vendors on ebay that sell personalized plates. Technically, they're not 'legal', but the appear to look real, so I doubt they'd get notices as fakes ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Vintage-Cali...I8AAOSwLsBZS3mM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:08 PM