Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New California Retro Black Plates, Anybody got them yet?
campbellcj
post Aug 16 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #61

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have new black plates on order for my 911: MZGR6MT

Does anyone happen to know the procedure for exchanging one type of personalized plate for another (keeping the same plate#)? I'd like to swap my 914R plates for black but the DMV form and web site are totally unclear on how to do that. Otherwise I 'spose I'll have to go talk to what passes for a human at the DMV office...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 16 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #62

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Be prepared ... the people working at the DMV are the same people who the Post Office let go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 16 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

You know, it seems that it is the luck of the draw sometimes at the DMV. Sometimes you get the witch, and sometimes you get an actual human.

I've had both.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Aug 17 2017, 12:13 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

It would be nice if they were there but I donMt think it will really be noticeable. I needed a front plate which has no stickers and it should be fine. I ordered a set so I have an extra or a replacement for the rear.
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Aug 17 2017, 01:43 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 18,459
Region Association: Southwest Region

Because you want the same plate number, just in a different color scheme (from Standard to Legacy), you'll probably have to do it in person at the DMV. I doubt the computer will let you order it, as it will say that number is already taken. If your lucky, as I have been in the past, you'll get a DMV employee that actually knows what they're doing and are efficient. I know that's rare, but they do exist. Good luck.
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Aug 17 2017, 01:59 AM
Post #66

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 16 2017, 06:22 PM) *

It would be nice if he could stamp the recesses for the month and year tags though.

Would be nice of I could get away with displaying black plates with the #s that are currently on the blue plates my '66 912 has (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I wonder if the law-enforcement agencies would even question that they weren't 'real' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Depends on the sharp eyes of the individual officers, and if they believe you are trying to defraud the DMV. It might give them a reason to stop you. Who needs that hassle, right?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 17 2017, 02:16 AM
Post #67

I did some reading up on the matter this evening, but I'm still cornfused about a couple of things. This is what I'm taking away from the DMV's site:

1. The plates need to have the proper number sequence for the year they were issued... the sequence for 1966 would start with a 'R', 'S' or 'T'.

2. The rear plate also needs a sticker for the year it was issued. Now this one has me stumped ... an original 1966 sticker would be buried under numerous subsequent
... year stickers, or gone completely, otherwise there would be a stack of stickers an inch thick on the plate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

* I see people selling reproduction yellow 1966 year stickers on ebay for about $15. ... hope they pass as legal (or at least adequate) if they're actually needed

3. The plates need to be clear in their system (no question here).

I guess I need to call the DMV (probably several times) to get the correct answer(s) to these questions. Maybe the gal (retired from the DMV) who verified the VIN for my 911 would know ... I think I'll call her first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/call me.gif)
+Quote Post
cmxiv 74
post Aug 17 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 21,334

QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 17 2015, 09:40 PM) *

I ordered a set of black plates for one of my (1960's era) cars last month - just curious if anybody has recently ordered some, and how long it took to take delivery?

This isn't what I ordered, it's just an example

I ordered twice, The second order placed for my 914 took over 3 months to arrive, so can be a lot of waiting time..But my the first order (July 16) took also long time (different reasons) plus a lot of effort because my customized letter combination was rejected by the state of Ca "plates and whatever" office, (it was accepted initial by the local DMW office). After I fought the "DENIED" conclusion for almost 2 months my plate was finally accepted. 8 days after was accepted I got them in mail, (yes in the mail) I did not have to go to DMW. I believe that was a very special situation since I stirred a lot of s.... with my complains, letters and tons of phone calls. Still..They forced my hand to pay again for letter combination reservation, after I already payed online for the initial reservation...plus for a regular sequential plate (that I never picked up since I had the old plates on the car assigned on a temporary registration ) so far now I did not received my refunds. So for unlucky guys like me DMW Ca proved to be a really big mess !
So, I guess between 2 and 3 months.
+Quote Post
cmxiv 74
post Aug 17 2017, 04:21 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 21,334

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 16 2017, 09:13 PM) *

I have new black plates on order for my 911: MZGR6MT

Does anyone happen to know the procedure for exchanging one type of personalized plate for another (keeping the same plate#)? I'd like to swap my 914R plates for black but the DMV form and web site are totally unclear on how to do that. Otherwise I 'spose I'll have to go talk to what passes for a human at the DMV office...

You have to go to DMW. Period ! Thet's no app for that or online clear instructions ! Wake up early, plant yourself at the DMW office at least 1 hour before they open, it has to be in the middle of the week. Doing so you will not waste half of your day, and you will talk to the DMW people fresh in to their work day (slight chance to talk to nicer, possible more helpful individuals) You can try reservation but to me did not make any difference, they will not respect the scheduled time.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Aug 17 2017, 07:32 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Bought my 914 in Arz. and stopped by the DMV in Blythe Ca. 3 people working there, no line and they were so happy to see me. Must have been there first customer all week. In and out in 5 minutes.

I was thinking about buying a party bus and start offering DMV party registration rides from LA to Blythe. The way I see it the 4 hour trip would be about the same as going to a So Cal DMV plus you will have a better time on the way there.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Aug 17 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Probably a good DMV to take your kid hit their first drivers license test.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 17 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 17 2017, 06:32 AM) *
Bought my 914 in Arz. and stopped by the DMV in Blythe Ca. 3 people working there, no line and they were so happy to see me. Must have been there first customer all week. In and out in 5 minutes.

I was thinking about buying a party bus and start offering DMV party registration rides from LA to Blythe. The way I see it the 4 hour trip would be about the same as going to a So Cal DMV plus you will have a better time on the way there.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 17 2017, 06:41 PM
Post #73

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I have been going to Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley and with an appt have been in and out in 10 mins. Forget about Santa Monica or anything in LA in my experience. Culver City is not too bad
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Aug 17 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #74

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

It would be nice if he could stamp the recesses for the month and year tags though.

Would be nice of I could get away with displaying black plates with the #s that are currently on the blue plates my '66 912 has (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I wonder if the law-enforcement agencies would even question that they weren't 'real' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The cops do this on their own cars...
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Aug 18 2017, 02:04 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 17 2017, 01:16 AM) *

I did some reading up on the matter this evening, but I'm still cornfused about a couple of things. This is what I'm taking away from the DMV's site:

1. The plates need to have the proper number sequence for the year they were issued... the sequence for 1966 would start with a 'R', 'S' or 'T'.

2. The rear plate also needs a sticker for the year it was issued. Now this one has me stumped ... an original 1966 sticker would be buried under numerous subsequent
... year stickers, or gone completely, otherwise there would be a stack of stickers an inch thick on the plate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

* I see people selling reproduction yellow 1966 year stickers on ebay for about $15. ... hope they pass as legal (or at least adequate) if they're actually needed

3. The plates need to be clear in their system (no question here).

I guess I need to call the DMV (probably several times) to get the correct answer(s) to these questions. Maybe the gal (retired from the DMV) who verified the VIN for my 911 would know ... I think I'll call her first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/call me.gif)

The skinny here is this: What you are referring to are YoM (Year of Manufacture) plates. They operate under different rules than the new "Legacy" plates. I don't believe the numbering sequence for a 1966 Car (and the 1960's Gold on Black plate) have to be in close proximity. I believe any 1960's gold on black plate will work on your '66, as long as the number is clear at DMV. It does require a (for your car) 1966 sticker which coincides with the "year of manufacture" for your car. You can find someone on ebay, thesamba, and others that sell nos stickers. DMV will then give you two tabs to attach to you plate for the current month and year sticker. The reason for the different rules is that the new "legacy plates" have reflectorized paint and the numbering sequence is completely different from the '60's plates. And the "Legacy" plates can be used on any vehicle. How do I know? I've done it on two of my old cars, '57 Speedster replica and a '62 Bug Convertible. Or, you can just get a personalized Legacy plate for your '66, and avoid all the hassles of a YOM plate.
+Quote Post
kgruen2
post Aug 18 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #76

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 17 2017, 10:17 PM) *

The cops do this on their own cars...

Yup. Some do. Most don't really care unless there is an obvious attempt to defraud (like coloring your sticker to match the current year color, I've seen this). But then there are always a few weenies who enforce every letter of the law. I've worked with both types.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:47 PM