Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to rebuild, Opinions / Suggestions
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,857

Well it looks like it may be time to tear my engine apart. McMark was kind enough to point out my lack of compression this weekend. It looks like I have about 110 lbs on 2 cylinders, and 120 on the other 2. The motor has 64,000 miles on it (original), but it did sit for 17 years in a garage by the ocean. A guess is that the cylinder walls have pitted. I am thinking about rebuilding the top end. I realize there are some who disagree with ever taking this approach, but being that the engine has relatively low miles I hope it will work out. If I do choose this method, what would you all suggest in the way of cylinders/pistons sets, etc. I am running the orig Djet, so would going with the 96mm setup still function properly? I'm not trying to stray too far from stock (or to spend too much $$$), but wouldn't mind a little extra power. Thanks for any advice.

Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Mar 14 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #2

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi
Well if you are loosing compression it might be in the rings.
My sugestion is to drop the egine pull the heads and hone/rering, clean up heads.
A low miler, this should freshoin it up lots. Just the heads might work out OK but the gains are probably in the rings. Either do it right or drive it as is and wait for it to fall out.
Good luck with it
Cheers
Joe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Either do it right or drive it as is and wait for it to fall out.

What do you mean? All or nothing? When you say the rings may be bad, I assume the cylinder walls have to be honed or machined? Sorry, but all this is new to me. I'm still trying to understand the basic mechanics of it all. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Mar 14 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #4

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Woops
Let me explane myself better. I am looking at a $ side of things, best bang for your buck.
A head job is XXXX$ with heads off to do the rings is just X$ more, but its guarenteed you are right in specs. I am worried you go through all the trouble of tearing down the heads and after find no great compression gain or power.
When you change the rings, you have to hone the cylinders...by a tool or take them to a machine shop. I realy don't know how motor friendly you are, this might not be the easiest thing to do, but the same logic applies if your paying someone, pay a little more and have the ring/cylinders renewed.
Did I help or make it worse ?
Cheers
Joe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 14 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

You will have to modify the stock D-jet to get it to work with the 1911cc displacement (96mm P&Cs). The 96es that fit 1.7 heads are also pretty thin, and don't seem to last very well. So it might be a good idea to either swap to 1.8 heads, or to have the "registers" in the 1.7 heads flycut to fit the heads to fit the 1.8 version of the big-bore kit.

--DD
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 14 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

If it's got 64k miles with no rebuild, it's probably going to need valve guides too. If you don't do it now, you'll do it within the next 10k miles.

My recommendation would be to do a top end rebuild, providing the bottom end is solid. Get the heads done correctly. Replace all seals. New rod bearings, rebush the small end of the rods, Euro P & C's if you can afford it. This would probably take you to at least the 100k mile mark, or more.

If you want to cheap out on it, get the cylinders honed, new rings, replace whatever seals you can afford that don't come with the engine gasket set. This will buy you around six to ten thousand miles.

It all depends on how many times you want to do it.

Either way you will run into some ALA's (As Long As). Like repack the CV's, trans output flange seals, any exhaust issues, and fuel line/pump/filtration/tank issues, rear brakes, painting all sorts of stuff, engine bay seals, blah blah blah
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #7

Either way you will run into some ALA's (As Long As). Like repack the CV's, trans output flange seals, any exhaust issues, and fuel line/pump/filtration/tank issues, rear brakes, painting all sorts of stuff, engine bay seals, blah blah blah

Luckily I've done most of that! I will definately be attending to the surface rust in the engine bay though. I want to do as complete a top end rebuild as possible, so I will definately look into the valve guides.

Dave:
You will have to modify the stock D-jet to get it to work with the 1911cc displacement (96mm P&Cs). The 96es that fit 1.7 heads are also pretty thin, and don't seem to last very well. So it might be a good idea to either swap to 1.8 heads, or to have the "registers" in the 1.7 heads flycut to fit the heads to fit the 1.8 version of the big-bore kit.

I'm not sure I follow. This is a stock 2.0. If I go with the 96mm cylinders won't I have 2056cc of displacement?

Brian
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 14 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Sorry, there. For some reason I thought you had a 1.7, not a 2.0. Oops! You are correct, 96mm bore x 71mm stroke gives you 2056cc of displacement.

You will still have tinkering to do with the D-jet; if you're ready for that then go ahead. If not, then stay with the stock displacement (and cam!!) and just bump up the compression. About 8.5:1 should still work with what passes for "super" grade fuel around here.

--DD
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #9

Dave,

Are you saying that if I go with stock euro pistons, that I need to run different fuel?
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #10

So what is the real advantage in the 96mm? What is the approximate payoff for the additional displacement? Will either of these options shorten the life of my engine? And while I'm in the question asking mood (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) , how many miles do these engines normally last?
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Mar 14 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #11

Anti-Post Whore

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 54

Parroting what I already said in the PP Board:

Won't you even try starting the engine first before considering a rebuild, and all the $$$ that will entail? I mean, it's only got 64K on it; the engine might not be as bad as you think. Mind you, this is assuming that it's still in the car (you didn't indicate otherwise).

Me? I would:

• Do an oil change
  • Get a fresh battery on-board
  • Flush out the fuel lines & install new fuel filter
  • Have some new spark plugs in-hand
  • New air filter
  • Purge & bleed the brakes

After doing all the above (and whatever else others might suggest), remove the old plugs and crank the starter to get the oil circulating & pressure to build up in the block. By then the fuel pump should have pressurized the FI system.

Now comes the Act of Faith: install the plugs (please, DON'T cross-thread them, or you'll be in a world-o-hurt) and wires, whisper a short, reverant prayer, and give her a crank. I've seen garage queens that have sat longer bark, pop, and shake themselves to life, none the worst for wear.

Again, only if it were me ...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 14 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

yes, yes and yes.

higher compression (can) mean higher grade fuel. i run 9:1 on my engine and i run 91 gas. i'm sure i would get away with 89, but i've never tried.

going to a 2056 with euro P&C will give you more HP, even with the stock D-Jet. you'll need to fiddle a little bit with a few components, like the MPS, but it has been done before.
ask Geoff for advice, he's running a 2056 with stock D-Jet ...
and Lyressa is running the same setup as well.

as long as the heads turn out to be ok, a top end rebuild (new P&C) is easy and affordeable.
if the heads are cracked, you'll have to fork out more $$$ for machine work.

all in all, i vote for the top end rebuild with the 96mm euro P&C.
same price, more HP!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) Andy

PS: did you find that vaccuum leak?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 14 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE (Rouser @ Mar 14 2005, 05:41 PM)
Won't you even try starting the engine first before considering a rebuild, and all the $$$ that will entail?

he's driving it. i saw the car (and the engine), both are in good condition. the engine sounded good, small vaccuum leak somewhere, but other than that ran just fine ...

obviously, i didn't do a compression check tho.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Me? I would:

Do an oil change

Get a fresh battery on-board

Flush out the fuel lines & install new fuel filter

Have some new spark plugs in-hand

New air filter

Purge & bleed the brakes

Done, done, done, and done. I spent the better part of the summer on the things you've mentioned and more. It's been on the road since late september or so. Not that it's running that poorly, it's just that I want it to run great. You're right though, I could probably continue driving for some time "as is"

going to a 2056 with euro P&C will give you more HP, even with the stock D-Jet. you'll need to fiddle a little bit with a few components, like the MPS, but it has been done before.
ask Geoff for advice, he's running a 2056 with stock D-Jet ...
and Lyressa is running the same setup as well.

as long as the heads turn out to be ok, a top end rebuild (new P&C) is easy and affordeable.
if the heads are cracked, you'll have to fork out more $$$ for machine work.

all in all, i vote for the top end rebuild with the 96mm euro P&C.
same price, more HP!

Thanks once again Andy! The 96mm does seem to be the way to go. Do you know what the HP difference is??? I have a feeling my heads will be good. BTW, I took your advice and removed the brain and scraped out and de-rusted the "hell hole" As I suspected good metal under a little surface rust (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) . When I pull the engine for the top end job, I was planning on adressing the greater surface rust issue in the engine bay. Do you think por15 in there would look like bad? I was also thinking I would take out that fire mat stuff. I've heard it does little good anyway. And about that engine life...
+Quote Post
Demick
post Mar 14 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

I'm running a 2056 with #73 webcam and 8.2:1 compression. Believe it or not, it runs great on regular gas (I was surprised as I expected to need mid-grade). I think this combo is worth about 15hp over stock.

Demick
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #16

I'm running a 2056 with #73 webcam and 8.2:1 compression. Believe it or not, it runs great on regular gas (I was surprised as I expected to need mid-grade). I think this combo is worth about 15hp over stock.

Demick

Are you running carbs or FI? I'm planning on maintaining my Djet setup. If you're running Djet, how much tweaking did it require to get it dialed in? Thanks.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 14 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #17

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I think that the #73 webcam is tuned for FI, but I'm not sure.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 14 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I have a split duration version of a web 73 that works very well for stock FI with a stock or 96mm bore and around 8-8.5:1 CR.

The straight pattern web 73 works ok, but having a dual pattern cam with the TIV head is the first step at making bigger power with cooler temps.

Going to a cam with a tad more duration and lift will cool the heads off (as much as 50 degrees) and will really help with down low and midrange power. I have seen improvements with gas mileage as well.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 14 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #19

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Jake (or anybody reading), what is the easiest way to increase compression without increasing displacement (ie: boring out)? I'm kinda confused with this subject.
+Quote Post
BPGREER
post Mar 14 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #20

have a split duration version of a web 73 that works very well for stock FI with a stock or 96mm bore and around 8-8.5:1 CR.

The straight pattern web 73 works ok, but having a dual pattern cam with the TIV head is the first step at making bigger power with cooler temps.

Going to a cam with a tad more duration and lift will cool the heads off (as much as 50 degrees) and will really help with down low and midrange power. I have seen improvements with gas mileage as well.

How much more involved is it to change the cam if I'm already doing the cyl/pist, etc.?? I have never messed with this stuff before, so it is all new to me. BTW, from some of your previous posts I get the feeling you are against the top end job altogether.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 05:28 PM