Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New wheel caps
Cal
post Dec 22 2015, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

I need to replace the dinged fuch wheel caps on my 2.0L. I'd like to replace them with NOS but they're hard to find. Are the aftermarket caps currently available a close match that I can get by with until I find originals? If so who makes the best / most accurate?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
sb914
post Dec 22 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

I think 914 rubber has them.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 22 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yes, it appears they do. Timely for me, as I'm in need of some. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 22 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

There are also some vendors on TheSamba who sell the billet aluminum repros, if 914R doesn't have them or aren't what you want.

Words of advice on the originals -

1. Save them for shows & Concours only, & watch them like a hawk - they're now almost unobtanium!

2. Carfully remove & remount them yourself for any tire or wheel work, cuz they're very thin & get buggered up easily!

The billet & other repros are thicker & more sturdy, & the ones which accurately reproduce the original look/profile are indistinguishable until you get up close.

Happy Holidays! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cal
post Jan 30 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #5

I ended up purchasing ISP Fuch center caps and guess what.....way too tight and don't fit over the front grease caps. Hopefully I'll be able to return them. I selected these because the finish appeared better then the photos of the caps that 914R has on his website. Can anyone vouch for the finish of the 914R caps? The one mint condition original cap that I have has a mirror chrome finish when fully polished....the 914R caps appear to be a dull aluminum finish. Is this true and will they fit over the grease caps?
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 30 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just installed a set of 914Rubber center caps and the finish is different than chrome but the caps are much stronger as they are made out of aluminum.

I can send a picture if you like.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jan 30 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have the 914Rubber wheel caps. They match the Fuch wheels very nice. They have a little bigger lip around the hole so it hides most all of the screwdriver marks that any PO may have done. No problems with fit.

Before and after pics in this thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=wheel+caps
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 31 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 30 2016, 03:24 PM) *

I ended up purchasing ISP Fuch center caps and guess what.....way too tight and don't fit over the front grease caps. Hopefully I'll be able to return them. I selected these because the finish appeared better then the photos of the caps that 914R has on his website. Can anyone vouch for the finish of the 914R caps? The one mint condition original cap that I have has a mirror chrome finish when fully polished....the 914R caps appear to be a dull aluminum finish. Is this true and will they fit over the grease caps?

Funny,
When I 1st made them I had the same problem, but mine do fit once the machining was correct. Mine are a "dull" finish as we do a brite dip with a clear anodized finish to seal the finish. It 's possible to strip and polish them regardless of where you buy them.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 1 2016, 05:16 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

914Rubber caps are extremely good quality and they are very strong.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Feb 1 2016, 06:54 AM
Post #10

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Sweet. I just got mine in the mail from 914Rubber but haven't opened them yet (along with the group buy door filter "thing").

914Rubber: the king of parts that take 10 seconds to install but immediately make an impact, cosmetic or otherwise.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 1 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2016, 11:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 30 2016, 03:24 PM) *

Funny,
When I 1st made them I had the same problem, but mine do fit once the machining was correct. Mine are a "dull" finish as we do a brite dip with a clear anodized finish to seal the finish. It 's possible to strip and polish them regardless of where you buy them.

Thanks Mark. I just placed the order for your caps.....I'm looking forward to receiving them!
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Feb 1 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,862

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 1 2016, 12:13 AM) *

Funny,

Is there a chance you could make a set of 4 that fit the early Minilites? The ID of the center hole appears to be 3-1/16", with the same requirement to clear the front bearing cap. If you're using a CNC machine, perhaps just reprogramming it to cut the larger diameter may not be cost prohibitive for me for a one-off set (although Minilite caps seem to be impossible to find, so maybe that might be a viable product for you).
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 21 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #13

New center caps from 914Rubber installed and they look great...an excellent product at an excellent price. I was also able to detail the wheels inside and out and threw the lug bolts into the media-tumbler for a quick detail. I'm very happy with the results.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 21 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Those look killer. Nice job, Mark!!!

Nice car too, Cal.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 22 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #15

The rubber man

QUOTE(pvollma @ Feb 1 2016, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 1 2016, 12:13 AM) *

Funny,

Is there a chance you could make a set of 4 that fit the early Minilites? The ID of the center hole appears to be 3-1/16", with the same requirement to clear the front bearing cap. If you're using a CNC machine, perhaps just reprogramming it to cut the larger diameter may not be cost prohibitive for me for a one-off set (although Minilite caps seem to be impossible to find, so maybe that might be a viable product for you).

I would not say no, but there are several diameters that I had run in the past, and found out the actual time it took to set these up and do them was loosing me a ton of time and money. If you want to start a GB thread I would be happy to supply if we can get a common size, and say 10 (identical) sets to help spread out the cost.
+Quote Post
Cal
post Mar 19 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #16

I was finally able to replace the current center wheel caps that I bought from 914Rubber with the new polished version and they look great....very close to the original in appearance. I'll be selling old ones on the FS threads.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TX914
post Mar 20 2017, 06:47 AM
Post #17

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689

Very nice. They look just like my original caps which I bought new a few year ago. The wheel bolts look great also - how did you refurbish them?
+Quote Post
Cal
post Mar 20 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(TX914 @ Mar 20 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Very nice. They look just like my original caps which I bought new a few year ago. The wheel bolts look great also - how did you refurbish them?

The lug bolts have been re-silver zinc plated. They've held up very well. I just have to be careful when removing the wheels.....the plating can scratch very easily.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 20 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #19

The rubber man

QUOTE(TX914 @ Mar 20 2017, 05:47 AM) *

The biggest problem with the OEM is that they are plated. This leads to galvanic corrosion. They are simply going to corrode in place unless you can isolate them, or use a similar material, which is what I did.

Adding thickness to the plating in zinc should hold up for awhile, if and when it fails simply get redone.

PS thanks for the nice pics
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 20 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #20

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 20 2017, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(TX914 @ Mar 20 2017, 05:47 AM) *

The biggest problem with the OEM is that they are plated. This leads to galvanic corrosion. They are simply going to corrode in place unless you can isolate them, or use a similar material, which is what I did.

Adding thickness to the plating in zinc should hold up for awhile, if and when it fails simply get redone.

PS thanks for the nice pics

FYI,

All OEM 914 caps are stainless. Here is a side by side photo of my original one along side your first generation caps.

I need to purchase an extra set of your generation #2 caps with a finish similar to the OEM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Good Stuff.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:36 PM