Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Snapped a couple of outer CV bolts, Need some advice on repair
phillstek
post Dec 31 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,741
Region Association: None

Backing out of the drive at the office on Xmas eve I heard a loud snapping sound from the right rear of the car. I managed to move the car forward a few meters and heard another snap though not as loud and decided that I probably shouldn’t try to continue without checking out the source of the noises.

Got underneath and found the outer, righthand side CV had come completely loose but with all six of the bolts still there.

Got it home on a flat bed, up the jack stands and dropped the axle to find 2 of the bolts had snapped off but only one of them with the broken end still in the drive flange.

Checked the other threads in the drive flange for damage and other than the one that has a piece of the bolt in it, one other thread is damaged. There is also a small burr on the recess in the drive flange where the paper gasket mounts between it and the CV.

I’m pretty sure the drive flange can be repaired but wanted confirmation on the removal procedure.

If I undo the big castle nut on the stub axle should I be able to drift the drive flange out through the back of the trailing arm and is re-intallation the drive flange the reverse?

Stubs are 911 5 lug and the drive flange is 6 bolt. I also have a spacer between the CV and the drive flange. The spacer is the outer ring of a CV and compensates for the difference between using the original 914 driveshafts.

I’ll post some pics later which should help. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:56 AM