Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Regrets going to a V8?
CptTripps
post Mar 17 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm in the WAY EARLY stages of looking for my next project. I figure that I'll spend a while looking for the right roller, and go from there, but in the mean time...

I'm considering a V8 conversion for the next one. Now before you get the (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif) out, I'm not looking for "which is better". I want to know if anyone REGRETS doing a V8 instead of a 6.

I'm watching the 928 threads unfold, and that appeals to me, but at the same time, seems like more work than it'd be worth. An 8 appeals to me, but I want to know all the ugly stuff...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
smrz914
post Mar 17 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #21

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

Like was said before. Do it right or it will come back to you later. Take your time and do your homework. I don't regret doing the work. I loved it. Everyone I told about it said that that wasn't possible. I proved them wrong. No one really know me in high school but they knew my car. I regret the corners I cut. They are costing me more now then if I did it right the first time. Think it through and you won't be disapointed. Don't settal for doing it "right the next time", or "i'll change this later", things just don't work out that way. You just want to (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) .
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Mar 17 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #22

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

doug if you dont want to stray as far from porsche as a v8 is, come on down and drive my suby powered. stock weight, stock engine design ( flat 4 ) sounds the same with my muffler setup etc.

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 17 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #23

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The great thing about a six conversion, as long as you don't get carried away with a big engine that needs a front oil cooler, is your car is still a very functional 914. That is you get to keep the front trunk, which is a very handy thing.

The Porsche V8 thing is intruiging, but I prefer the air cooled sixes.

I don't know anyone that's got regrets about doing a six conversion, except maybe not getting a bigger engine!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 17 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #24

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

The torque is fun. But it doesnt feel sporty.

I drive around normally a car that is just the opposite (944 turbo) No torque down low, but lots of hp up high.

If I were to do it again, I'd do a 3.6 or bigger. Preferably turbo'd.

I guess i'll find out at the wcc what it does!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 17 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #25

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I have a great deal of respect for the guys who want to "keep it Porsche."
I also have a great deal of respect for learning to drive the car better. If it's not fast enough, the driver can improve.

That being said however...
The 914 is powered by a VW engine that doesn't put out enough power to keep up with the serious sports cars. The car has enough handling potential to keep up with just about anything, but it needs more power.

If you want to be a purist, have Raby build you a beast based on the factory motor. However, once you go to a different configuration of any kind, you're "cheating" (as someone said) in my book. Once you're cheating, the rules are out the window, regardless of whether the motor says Porsche or not (IMHO).

I respect Porsche engineering... particularly with the mid-engined 914 and the way it handles. I respect that so much that I choose a 914 over almost any other sports car out there. But please tell me about a Porsche engine that will put out 300+HP reliably for 100K+ miles cheaper than a Chevy 350!? I want it.

+Quote Post
MecGen
post Mar 17 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #26

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi
Some thoughts...lots of good advise here.

I had a V8 914 and sold it. If I had put in a six instead of the 8 cyl. I would prolly still have the car.
Well
Lets say I spent the last 12 years looking at conversions...
Back in the day I used to call Rod S and ask him about his conversion...I have a "deal" on a 3.6 - 1990 tip motor, I think dirt cheap, but supposed to have an issue with the trans, motor not compatible?. Anyways some very good advice here :
Like was said before. Do it right or it will come back to you later. Take your time and do your homework. I don't regret doing the work. I loved it.

I have seen some strait ass shit conversions, I would hate it too. He loved it.
I had a V8 914 and sold it. If I had put in a six instead of the 8 cyl. I would prolly still have the car.

But why own a car as long as I have had mine, all the time longing for drivetrain mods. Look perfect 4cly are catching around 10,000$, good, But... its not that serious of a decision $$$ wise, I've got kids coming to the shop all the time with "30,000$" Civics, I laugh. So maybe modifying a 914 is not the end of the world, apart from an unexpected swing in the market,914 is not a big investment VS excitement. I am a die-hard Porsche purist that died, 12 years of fighting the good fight.
If you want to be a purist, have Raby build you a beast based on the factory motor. However, once you go to a different configuration of any kind, you're "cheating" (as someone said) in my book. Once you're cheating, the rules are out the window, regardless of whether the motor says Porsche or not (IMHO).

Word of wisdom...Its a 4 or 6 Porsche air cooled, all others are modifed, PorscheV8 or not. I was looking to make my 914 fell like a Ferrari eater not a Corvette eater....let me explane. I have been and always be a Ford man first and formost and a SB chev guy all around. I have personally built a real 350hp motor. Listen to a 350 hp Chev914 rumble, do you want this or a mild build, much easier on the noise/idle, the performance feeling falls quicker then HP. Ahhhh . I have chosen another route so I can eat my Ferrari's and eat some Lambo for desert, all the feel/torque/sound...don't ask...Baby Blue.
My honest advice to you (I have been following some of your threds)is that if money is not an issue, buy a V8 kit and go for it. Easy anough for a beginner and you get to play and learn with your wheels. One day if you decide to be a "pure" 914 car owner, pay the 20large, for a 100% car. I bet you know way more about a 914 then you did a year ago !. Imagine with what 20large can get.......but in the meentime have fun, you got a good roler now, lots of hard work. Play with this one, you won't be doing this tooo many more times, look for a serious car after. I did it the other way around.
I regret that....
Wbr
Joe
PS sorry for the spelling

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 17 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #27

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Noting wrong with any engine in a 914. Wheter it is made in Germany or the USA. They are all fun to own and experience, that is what being a gearhead is all about. The only fault I have with the V6 is that if you go V6 you are going to be saying after all of that I could have had a V8.
CCLINV8ME
+Quote Post
andys
post Mar 17 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

To each his own...........Enjoy it the way you like it. I brought a new '73 2.0, liked the car (girl friend hated it) and put a lot of miles on it. Now I bought a car specifically for a V8 conversion. I have no illusions of what it will be; either way, I'lll enjoy it for what it is.

Two intriguing (to me) alternatives: That Nissan 300ZX V6 (195HP NA), or an entire transplant of an Audi/VWPasat 1.8T along with it's the 5 speed transaxle.

The flat 6? I think it will always be a "go-to" option that many will likely choose.

Andy
+Quote Post
bondo
post Mar 17 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #29

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I regret not starting sooner. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I'm maybe 1/4 of the way there.. if you stand back and squint.
+Quote Post
cametal
post Mar 17 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #30

autox'n

Member No.: 960

I would like to here from someone who has spent some time auto-xing a 6 and a V8. Now I auto-x my '74 914-6 conversion, 2.2t motor with E cams 128 hp at the wheels. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
After converting to the 6 and driving it for awhile it seems slow again. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) Being an old Chevy guy (and cheap) the V8 swap is sounding better. I just don't want to loose the balance and fun factor of the car.
It seems to me when you add more weight in the rear with a V8 and you add more to the front with a radiator and fans it should even out.
Any thoughts or input?
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 17 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Mar 17 2005, 07:18 PM)
My honest advice to you (I have been following some of your threds)is that if money is not an issue, buy a V8 kit and go for it. Easy anough for a beginner and you get to play and learn with your wheels. One day if you decide to be a "pure" 914 car owner, pay the 20large, for a 100% car. I bet you know way more about a 914 then you did a year ago !. Imagine with what 20large can get.......but in the meentime have fun, you got a good roler now, lots of hard work. Play with this one, you won't be doing this tooo many more times, look for a serious car after. I did it the other way around.

That's another thought. (Thanks for the heart-felt advise BTW.) This one is immediately, a toy. The NEXT one, is going to be the 'Dream'. I'm not sure that I ever thought as a kid.. "One day, I'll have a Porsche with a Chevy motor in it!" I DID always look at the used 914s at the dealership around the corner from my grandparents (Swickley, PA) and wonder what it'd be like to drive one. Don't know why...they just always caught my eye. Money isn't so much of an object with these...it's more nostalga for me. (sp?)

I agree with a few people saying that they were under-powered, so that's why you do it. Others just chant 'Six-Six-Six' and let that be the end of it. I'm not sure WHAT I'm going to do.

First, I'll get this one finished. Then start looking for a body. I'll get that the way I want it, and THEN decide what I want to drop into it.

Thanks for everyone's advise. I really appreciate it.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 17 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162

How many of the V8s are daily drivers?

I worry about general drivability in traffic and reliability. Do you really want to rebuild your 901 every 6 months? If it's done right, these are not issues. But how many are that high quality?
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 17 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Porsche engineering is second to none.

Except maybe Japanese engineering. Funny how they have a much better customer satisfaction rating than the german cars. Even some American stuff did better than some German stuff in a Consumer Reports test.

I am liking V8s more and more. Torque when you need it and want it. You can cruise the highway at no rpms and get good mileage or you can step it up and stomp many a much higher priced car. Oh ueah it doesn't sound like a damn diesel engine riding around town.

I don't like the hack jobs. If you want a V8 you need to look at it as an automotive engineer would then you can resolve some of the problems that pop up with hack jobs. There is no reason why a V8 914 can't be as versatile as any other engine combo. It just has to have all aspects of the conversion covered right.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 17 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #34

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Craig I have an autocross V8 and it handles very well. It is a 327 destroked to 305, excellent ttorque range. Put the car in 2nd and step on the gas, never have to shift. It does feel heavier than the 6 or 4. But it is brute power that helps you around the course and a good set of tires helps to keep you online.
If seriously interested in a turnkey V8 autocross car PM me.
CCLINAUTOXV8
+Quote Post
porsha916
post Mar 17 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 2,137

I bought a 914 V8 with a 215ci buick motor, I would like to put higher gears in the trans, but I really like the car!! Slight weight increase, loads of power, always fun to drive. I have owned a lot of 914's including a six. The stock 914/4 needs more power, how you get it depends on $$$$ and what you are going use the car for, either way its a great car!!!!!!
Take Care
Bill
+Quote Post
iiibdsiil
post Mar 18 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #36

Needs Door Locks

Member No.: 1,362

QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 17 2005, 11:01 PM)
Porsche engineering is second to none.

Except maybe Japanese engineering. Funny how they have a much better customer satisfaction rating than the german cars. Even some American stuff did better than some German stuff in a Consumer Reports test.

I am liking V8s more and more. Torque when you need it and want it. You can cruise the highway at no rpms and get good mileage or you can step it up and stomp many a much higher priced car. Oh ueah it doesn't sound like a damn diesel engine riding around town.

I don't like the hack jobs. If you want a V8 you need to look at it as an automotive engineer would then you can resolve some of the problems that pop up with hack jobs. There is no reason why a V8 914 can't be as versatile as any other engine combo. It just has to have all aspects of the conversion covered right.

I think he was talking about performance wise.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 18 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #37

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE (RandyLok @ Mar 17 2005, 02:15 PM)
If you want to be a purist, have Raby build you a beast based on the factory motor. However, once you go to a different configuration of any kind, you're "cheating" (as someone said) in my book.

If you've got a Beetle, you don't have the option of putting a larger Porsche engine in the car. Enter Jake. Perfect solution, excellent engine builder, awesome results. I'll think you'll find that once you get to a certain horsepower level, Jake's engines aren't that much cheaper than the flat six counterpart. The difference is the ancillaries you need for the six, and the value of the car if the engine goes toes up. You don't get much more pure than a air cooled flat six.

914 is another story, you've got a world of options. My personal preference is to build cars that look like they were delivered with the engine I install, which at least so far has been flat sixes. Very few V8 cars look really slick with the installation, after all you've got to hack up the front trunk for a radiator.

I do agree though with the prior post about it being your car, do what you want with it. Just keep it on the road!
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Mar 18 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #38

neo life

Member No.: 159

I believe the thread starter is questioning people who built or owned V8's. A 4 or 6 owner has not chosen this path so how can he say if he regrets it? Since V8 conversions aren't factory designs or builds, just be aware quality of build or maintenance level varies. Check out the BEST example if you are considering it.

A V8 changes a 914's performance/weight characteristics. Build or modify your car for the purpose intended. xcross course, track, freeway cruiser, daily driver, or street racer. You can't have it all. It will also change the fan base. Hang out with the street rodders, not the Porsche elite, LOL. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

if you go V6 you are going to be saying after all of that I could have had a V8

Except when it's twin turbo with a reliable 300hp (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) I am going with V6 to prove out a concept. I still like my V8 for what it is. I was over 20 years younger when I started it and now have different goals.

The GMV8 conversion kit today has been well developed so parts and service are a phone call away. All you need is the cash...

People paving the way for other alternatives will surely give the 914 owner more possibilities. I'm glad the stock powerplants are getting new life too. All this to add MORE excitement in our lives.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 18 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #39

The more I think about it, I'm more convinced that I DON'T want to do a V8. If anything, I'll buy a 'done' 6, or MAYBE a 928 like Rick and Larry. I'm not an AXer...Just want to drive and have fun. (And spank the occational Civic with a trash-can sized pipe coming from under his rear bumper.) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Mar 18 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #40

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438

I do not own a V8 car, nor have I ever driven one. That said, I have spanked them without mercy on the auto cross course, (stock 2.0 w/lots of suspension) short AND long, which you would think would favor the monster motor 914. When the V8 car got on the gas, you could see the front end rise up... pushed like a pig in the corners. Point being, lots-o-ponies must be a rush, but don't forget the rest of the package to make it fun AND safe, even if the goal is a fast daily driver and not an auto cross monster.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:00 AM