Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subydoo A 914 Watercooled, If it aint broke u aint tryin! I try too hard....
A&P Mech
post Jan 24 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2016, 07:52 AM) *

I tossed the spring and mine shifts like a new one. I'm not using Ian's set up so it's difficult to compare. Have you checked the throw and shift gates on the tranny with the shifter disconnected? Should be crisp with definite detents.

It is funny, the transmission shifts fine when you find the gates. It is just really hard to find them . The tranny is smooth and it makes no noise. No grinding and no whining? I am not sure I have my shift cables adjusted or hooked up correctly. It takes a lot of throw left and right to get all the gears.

I have shifted it by hand with the cables disconnected the problem is I don't have anything to compare it to. It seems fine with definite detents. I am at a bit of a loss.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jan 27 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

Good News! I talked to ian at coldwater 914 and he said he's starting another production run in about a weeks time. So break out the radiators, antifreeze and wallets because Watercooled 914s are coming
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Feb 11 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #23

quick update. ive been applying truckbed liner to the floor pans and interior because i don't want to deal with rust again. also i have a quick question: what do i do with the hoses on the turbo water over flow tank, theres two hoses that would normally flow into the radiator and some where else
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Feb 27 2016, 09:56 AM
Post #24

Update!Ive finished lining the interior and floor pans. In much more cool news after many attempts, two different clutches and, two flywheels my engine and transmission are together! (kinda like pandas, many attempts to get them together) soon i will have the trans hangars from ian and a new motor mount welded in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 27 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking good bud! Glad you got your clutch setup figured out. Keep it up & bring it down to WCR in a couple months (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Feb 27 2016, 10:58 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 27 2016, 09:44 AM) *

Looking good bud! Glad you got your clutch setup figured out. Keep it up & bring it down to WCR in a couple months (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

The plan is to have it done by then!
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Feb 27 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #27

I almost forgot i also welded in radiator mounts and im in the process of mounting the radiator now

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 11 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #28

updates! my radiator is mounted, ive bent and welded some swish coolant tubes, I bought ss fuel lined from a member here cant wait his ads are under member vendors. the entire middle section of the car is truck bed lined and almost all insulated. Ive also been painting parts writing up a to do list on a piece of cardboard repainted the dash and put on vinyl as you will see in the post below!
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Mar 11 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #29

I have done a thing! I redid the vinyl on the dash thats next to the window and it turned out pro! it cost $8 and looks pretty mint.
Step 1: get a 1' by 5' piece of marine vinyl from a craft store ( I know craft stores are foreign to car guys but trust me you wont be driving a prius by the time you get out)
Step 2: I had carpet glue for headliners and stuff, hanging around (if you don't its like $10 so you don't get to brag as hard). Spray the dash and the vinyl (the bottom side) with 3 layers of adhesive like it says on the can.
Step 3: apply the vinyl to the dash so you have a little on each side of the dash to work with.
Step 4: cut down the vinyl to shape with SCISSORS it will make a better product.
Step 5: marvel at your creation, laugh in the faces of premade things and people with inferior dashboards!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 11 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 27 2016, 09:00 AM) *

I almost forgot i also welded in radiator mounts and im in the process of mounting the radiator now

Your not going to hard mount it are you. You need some rubber at the mounts to account for flex. If not you will get cracks in your radiator & it's life won't be long.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 3 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #31

Been a while since my last post but, the engine and trans are together! I received the trans hangars from ian and im now working on finishing the motor mounts. I have sent my axles out to get machined to what is hopefully the right length. The axles were cut down to 18 7/8" then resplined to the Subaru splines. im finishing my radiator shroud using metal from the original fenders i cut off for the widebody. I also received the muffler for my car, its a flowmaster super 10 and it's about as big as my hand, sorry neighbors.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Apr 3 2016, 11:56 AM
Post #32

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I too bought the radiator with fans but no shroud in error. you'll probably need s shroud. I reused my renegade shroud but I am finding this radiator struggles to keep a sbc v8 at 190 degrees. as the summer temps start to rise, I expect problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I may put a fan on each wheel well opening to expedite hot air flow out of front trunk.
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 3 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 17,072

What cradle are you using? Are you using Ian's cradle with his transmission hanger? If so, I would like to see how you fit the engine in there. Most people who go the turbo route have to cut their trunk area.

Who did you use for your axle respine? If you are using Ian's cradle, you know exactly how long to cut your axles. I am having trouble with my angle being too excessive, so have to move the engine back another inch (which will be 3" of offset) reducing my angle down to around 12%. The maximum is 17% for the 914 CV's.

These are all problems that can be tackled in various ways. I will try flipping my manifold so I don't have to cut the trunk.

Interested to see how you tackle these problems.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 5 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #34

i am just using ians hangars and i have the small car mounts at the front it should sit in the same spot still, im waiting to see if turbo hole is necessary
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 6 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 3 2016, 10:56 AM) *

I too bought the radiator with fans but no shroud in error. you'll probably need s shroud. I reused my renegade shroud but I am finding this radiator struggles to keep a sbc v8 at 190 degrees. as the summer temps start to rise, I expect problems (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I may put a fan on each wheel well opening to expedite hot air flow out of front trunk.

Are you saying you bought this radiator? im making a shroud right now and its not turning out too bad had a little change of plans at one point but it should work. i also have fairly big openings for exhaust air.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 27 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #36

I now have my radiator shroud done for now. Later on im gonna properly paint it but im running out of time. Im trying to bring it to the pierce county skills center car show on the 21st of may. its on 160th and canyon in puyallup WA. The more teeners there the better. Id love to not be the only 914 there(considering i make it). Attached Image
Ive also been working on the shifter. i got the cable shift kit from ian at coldwater 914 and i am trying to prove that you can use the mr2 shifter and stock center console. so far so good!Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 27 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #37

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I've already done that
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 27 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 27 2016, 10:59 AM) *

I've already done that

Nice!
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Apr 28 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #39

installed radiator hose last night. it was flexible 1-1/2" hose and it fit perfect through the rack and pinion. a hole was cut and now it looks like a racecar!Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jul 16 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #40

It has been a while and i have been busy. I now have installed the engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) and i am now working on hooking everything up. Ive got some bad pics of the engine in the engine bay, but as a word of advice for all of those doing turbo engines: If you are using the stock intercooler put it on the passenger side, it makes packaging WAY easier.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:08 AM