Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subydoo A 914 Watercooled, If it aint broke u aint tryin! I try too hard....
JRust
post Jul 16 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking good. I like the placement on the intercooler. Probably about where mine will sit when I get to doing my turbo swap.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jul 16 2016, 11:10 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

First off in the above picture i haven't cleaned up the hoses it will look way nicer. I have also completed ians cable shift install and man is it fun to bang through the gears of a stationary car!Attached Image Attached Image Another thing is i have installed the axels after having them resplined twice: a 150$ mistake But i will say this OFFICIALLY when using Subaru inner cv the axel is cut to 17 3/4" Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jul 16 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #43

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 16 2016, 10:05 AM) *

Looking good. I like the placement on the intercooler. Probably about where mine will sit when I get to doing my turbo swap.

Its a good idea till u relize how close it is to the intake, packaging it that way is difficult but it will work, I used the stock mounts on the intercooler to mount it it to a piece of 1" square tubing that is welded to where the battery was.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jul 16 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #44

One more hopefully awesome thing before i get back too it, because my car is low and I don't like things being ripped off, i will have my exhaust exit through the bumper, its a fiberglass one so no one is butt hurt. The exhaust is a 240z style attached to a flowmaster super 10!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jul 16 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

It might not be the case but it looks like the tranny you have is for a non turbo car and those trannys use a lot lighter clutch from what I remember. Your car is light and 2wd so it may never be a problem. It is the old push- pull clutch arm thing. Also the turbo trans clutch slave gets real close to the floor and you didn't mention that so thats also why I thought your tranny is the non turbo one.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jul 16 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 16 2016, 10:53 AM) *

It might not be the case but it looks like the tranny you have is for a non turbo car and those trannys use a lot lighter clutch from what I remember. Your car is light and 2wd so it may never be a problem. It is the old push- pull clutch arm thing. Also the turbo trans clutch slave gets real close to the floor and you didn't mention that so thats also why I thought your tranny is the non turbo one.

it is its from a 98 legacy but i got the slave from a 98 legacy on it and its fits pretty well.
it may just be how i have the engine positioned
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Aug 5 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #47

so ive finally got my special exhaust done and its friggin cool. 110$ at austins pro max in tacoma. However tradgity struck while i was towing it, the front oassenger wheel came off but the only damage done was to the inner rim and it tore 3/4 of the flare off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) nothing rivits couldnt fix though, all involved were ok! back to the good stuff though the exhaust is about 2.5' long, leaving me with the certainty my neighbors will hate me more than they already do considering my other car is a straight piped bug but oh well I await their 911 calls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)Attached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Aug 5 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #48

This was the damage from the wheel falling offAttached Image
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Aug 12 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #49

Holy crap it never thought this day would come but it runs! Sure it may throw 8 codes all of which are emissions related but thats ok! it totally sounds like a v8 with a huge turbo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) overall it was one of my greatest days in life
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 12 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work! Always a huge relief and adrenaline rush when it fires up.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 7 2016, 01:02 AM
Post #51

Wednesday is the day of reckoning.... my dyno tune! Im bringing it to speed factory in Tacoma as their only a few miles away. Ive leak checked my car installed the correct fuel pump a walbro 255 inline instead of the 911 one which is now for sale btw. I will be taking lots of video with my new go pro and existing camera. When all is said and done, im drivin home with the roof in the trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (weather permitting)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 7 2016, 01:04 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 12 2016, 08:48 AM) *

Nice work! Always a huge relief and adrenaline rush when it fires up.

I know its hard to believe when the thing u made works
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 7 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #53

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 7 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 7 2016, 02:02 AM) *

Wednesday is the day of reckoning.... my dyno tune! Im bringing it to speed factory in Tacoma as their only a few miles away. Ive leak checked my car installed the correct fuel pump a walbro 255 inline instead of the 911 one which is now for sale btw. I will be taking lots of video with my new go pro and existing camera. When all is said and done, im drivin home with the roof in the trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (weather permitting)

Sweet. BTW you need some spacers to push your wheels out to the edges of the flares. Would look really good and handle even better. Probably need to stud the hubs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Maybe someone else will chime in with more experience...
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 7 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #55

Sweet. BTW you need some spacers to push your wheels out to the edges of the flares. Would look really good and handle even better. Probably need to stud the hubs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Maybe someone else will chime in with more experience...
[/quote]
I definitely agree but, i was cosidering just doing a 5 lug conversation with 8" fuchs front and 9-10" rear. 10s would fit if the backspacing is exactly the same as these rims
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 7 2016, 10:21 PM
Post #56

Ok summary time! Dyno day: so i towed it out to speed factory. within a few minutes we were tuning the car. it was idling at an AFR of 22/1 (hecka lean) and would only even out at certain rpms. after adding alit of fuel some timing, deleting a few codes, and more it was working well! The carvwas brought to operating temp where it was discovered their was a massive air bubble (suprise, suprise) after an hour and a half and Gallons of water the angry sounding air bubbles were subdued. from their it was the money shot, the dyno tune. we strap the car down do a few adjustments and before i knew it, it was ready for its first pull. pull 1 i made 215hp and 207lbft. More adjustments followed as their was some knock from 13psi!. Second pull disaster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , at approximately 5000 rpm the cars rpm suddenly jumps and the car wont move. A few minutes of research found I broke an axel.... It wasn't even the Porsche side the Subaru side snapped at 187hp. day was not lost after i fix the axel i can actually drive it (sainly)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 8 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #57

What PROBABLY happened is that the clip came off the end of the subie end of the axle and then the CV destroyed itself. Just guessing. The Subie CV is a LOT stronger. I have snapped 3 914 CV innards like twigs. Never a Subie one.

Sounds pretty normal for a first run! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Sep 8 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 8 2016, 07:48 AM) *

What PROBABLY happened is that the clip came off the end of the subie end of the axle and then the CV destroyed itself. Just guessing. The Subie CV is a LOT stronger. I have snapped 3 914 CV innards like twigs. Never a Subie one.

Sounds pretty normal for a first run! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

yeah probably do u know iff the 944 cv fits in the wheel flange or would i need to go 5 lug
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 8 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #59

You need a converter from Renegade Hybrids. They are physically larger in diameter and you can't just attach them to the 914 hubs.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Sep 9 2016, 06:41 AM
Post #60

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 8 2016, 12:21 AM) *

Second pull disaster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , at approximately 5000 rpm the cars rpm suddenly jumps and the car wont move. A few minutes of research found I broke an axel.... It wasn't even the Porsche side the Subaru side snapped at 187hp. day was not lost after i fix the axel i can actually drive it (sainly)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Can you post pictures of the carnage, it would be easier to figure out what actually happened.

When I first started driving with the suby inner joint, I made my axles too short and in certain conditions the guts of the Subaru joint would pull out. In my case I could push it back together and it would work fine for a bit.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:13 PM