Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 914 Dash Repair via CFRP Wrapping Process
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 08:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,402
Region Association: None

CFRP stands for Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer, which is the technical term for what most people refer to as just simply “carbon fiber”. CFRP is a composite material comprised of the carbon fiber itself (in this case in the form of woven fabric) and a formulated resin compound acting as a plasticizer.

In this thread I’ll be showing step-by-step how we (www.compositedimensions.com) were able not only to repair and save a cracked 914 dash, but to also make it look and feel as if it was originally made from CFRP.

Below are a few photos of the dash prior to the repair.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

STEP 1 – Crack Sealing. We used a 2-part epoxy putty compound to fill and seal each crack. An unlike most polyester-based body fillers, this compound is compatible with the epoxy resin system used in the later steps.
Attached Image

STEP 2 – Epoxy Based Coat. This base coat provides an ideal black background for the carbon fiber fabric and allows the dash to gain back some of its rigidity at this early stage. After its application, it’s left to reach a “tacky” stage (approx. 4 hours).
Attached Image

STEP 3 – Making Cutting Templates. Carbon fiber fabric is expensive. This particular fabric is $50 per square meter. In order to minimize material waste, cutting templates is a must. This not only saves material but also provides more accurate placement with minimal seems, and eliminates “bridging” on intricate contoured areas. The fabric itself is a high quality 200 grams/sq. meter 2/2 twill 3K.
Attached Image

STEP 4 – Carbon Fiber Wrapping (Dry). While taking advantage of the tacky surface on the base coat, and with the aid of a compatible spray adhesive, the various pre-cut carbon fiber pieces are carefully placed into position. Notice that we also wrapped the visible underside areas.
Attached Image
Attached Image

STEP 5 – Clear Epoxy Resin. Once all the carbon fiber is laid, we applied 3 coats of a specially formulated high viscosity epoxy resin. Minimal sanding in between coats is performed to remove obvious high-spots before allowing the final coat to cure overnight.
Attached Image
All visible areas on the underside are also addressed.
Attached Image

STEP 6 – Sanding (Dry & Wet). The dash was sanded dry using 120 grit paper to remove any remaining high-spots before moving on to wet sanding with progressively finer girt paper (240, 400, 800 and 1200), leaving a smooth satin finish at the end. This is by far the longest process step.

Dash after dry-sanding it with coarse 120 grit paper:
Attached Image
Dash after wet-sanding it with fine 1200 grit paper:
Attached Image

STEP 7 – Finishing. We applied 2 coats of UV-stable high-gloss lacquer. Once cured we then machined-polished all surfaces to achieve a professional finish.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

The dash is finally done and ready to be installed back.
Project duration: 2.5 weeks including curing & drying times (epoxy resin and lacquer coats).
Total Labor hours: 45 (most of them spent on surface sanding)

I hope you enjoyed this article. All questions are welcome.

Checkout our other products and services at www.compositedimesnions.com along with our growing 914 Carbon Gear parts catalog where you will find sun visors, center consoles, side mirrors, gauge and trim panels.

Dov
Attached Image
Dov Chartarifsky
CEO – Composite Dimensions
Hameyasdim #62
Zichron Ya'akov
30900, Israel
Tel: +972 (0) 50 4047915
dovsky@bezeqint.net
dov@compositedimensions.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 2 2016, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome process! Thanks for sharing!
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 2 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

I would put that on my 914. You guys do great work. Need to put some of your products on my wish list for sure..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 2 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #4

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 2 2016, 10:37 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Curious...is a fixture used during the layup process to assure the mounting points don.t move or warp?

Do you have any pics with it installed in a car?

Thanks for sharing
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 2 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I would assume that the carbon fiber is being used with a resin that allows it to be more flexible (like fiberglass), if so as long as it was relatively flat it should be just fine. All in all looks lik ea high quality product. I wouldn't worry about it cracking in the future as it's basically a "shell"
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Feb 2 2016, 10:49 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Fitting the ashtray would be awkward as the overlay would make the opening smaller. I doubt it would fit without cutting down the ashtray front and spacing out the steel ashtray support.
Also the dash would be over length which would make it harder to fit between the A pillar trims. The gauge panel too needs all the space the original dash offers.
The overlap of your carbon wrap & resin on the underside would also raise & push out the position of this trim when fitted to the dash frame by the thickness of the resin. This would also cause alignment issues getting the fixing studs (at 90 degrees) to locate in the dash frame.
The wrap on the undersides in the door shut area would also push the knee roll down making that hard to fit back.

For the reasons above, this is why a dash cap is cut short at the ends and stops shy of the gauge panel.

As pretty as it looks....Have you tried fitting this in a car yet?

Trust me on this one. A simple retrim of a dash top with vinyl or leather gives you all these fitment issues, so with carbon and resin your making it larger and heading for a poor fit back in the car with little compression ability that you get with vinyl or leather that makes it just possible to get back in.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 2 2016, 06:37 PM) *

Curious...is a fixture used during the layup process to assure the mounting points don.t move or warp?

Do you have any pics with it installed in a car?

Thanks for sharing

No special fixture was used. We only added a single layer of carbon fiber, which is flexible enough not to alter or warp any of the mounting points.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 2 2016, 10:57 AM
Post #9

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Might want to check the ash tray and the mount in the car. A lot of times the devil is in the details. It may be ok, but I would offer a ashtray cap to match too, otherwise you will have a really shinny nice dash with a chunk missing and an old ashtray there.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 10:58 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 2 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Fitting the ashtray would be awkward as the overlay would make the opening smaller. I doubt it would fit without cutting down the ashtray front and spacing out the steel ashtray support.
Also the dash would be over length which would make it harder to fit between the A pillar trims.

For the reasons above, this is why a dash cap is cut short at the ends.

As pretty as it looks....Have you tried fitting this in a car yet?

We've only done one dash, which is now being shipped back to it's owner for fitment. The added thickness is minimal at about ~1mm (CF=0.25mm, resin/lacquer=0.5-0.75mm). In case of any over length/size areas, these can easily be sanded down.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 2 2016, 06:57 PM) *

Might want to check the ash tray and the mount in the car. A lot of times the devil is in the details. It may be ok, but I would offer a ashtray cap to match too, otherwise you will have a really shinny nice dash with a chunk missing and an old ashtray there.

Good point.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Feb 2 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

I'd wait until you get feedback from the original owner who's tried to fit this back in his car until you promote this service. I'd guess you have a good deal of "development" and adjustments to go before its ready to sell as a viable proposition.

Sending a highly polished stunning looking dash back to the owner and saying sand the finish off where it wont fit back in your car is not a good selling point. Owners want a bolt-in solution.
You'd be better to befriend a local 914 owner and perfect the part to make sure they fit straight out of the box.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 2 2016, 07:07 PM) *

I'd wait until you get feedback from the original owner who's tried to fit this back in his car until you promote this service. I'd guess you have a good deal of "development" and adjustments to go before its ready to sell as a viable proposition

There will never be a one-size-fits-all proposition. All vehicles have tolerance variations, specially on these vintage cars. In this case, we put our best effort to save a flimsy worn-out dash, which would otherwise be trashed or discarded. Kudos to the owner for wanting to save his dash. And yes, we will be hearing from him soon.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 2 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #14

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

The last thing anyone would want on any dashboard is a shiny or light colored surface, so I hope it has been prepared as dulled down as possible to minimize reflections and glare that impede vision.

While the CF may be an interesting finish to some, the main reason for a padded dash is safety during a collision. A splintering hard plastic CF material during a collision could add to the injuries sustained in a crash.

Just because it can be done, does not mean its a great idea.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 2 2016, 07:20 PM) *

The last thing anyone would want on any dashboard is a shiny or light colored surface, so I hope it has been prepared as dulled down as possible to minimize reflections and glare that impede vision.

While the CF may be an interesting finish to some, the main reason for a padded dash is safety during a collision. A splintering hard plastic CF material during a collision could add to the injuries sustained in a crash.

Just because it can be done, does not mean its a great idea.

CF is an acquired taste not for everyone, especially in a purely cosmetic application like this one. The high-gloss finish was a customer requirement, but it can certainly be dulled down with a satin non-reflective finish if glare is a concern.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 2 2016, 06:07 PM) *

I would put that on my 914. You guys do great work. Need to put some of your products on my wish list for sure..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for the complement, we'll be happy to serve you anytime!
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Feb 2 2016, 12:33 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,215

QUOTE(dovsky @ Feb 2 2016, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 2 2016, 06:57 PM) *

Good point.

Or let people DIY match their ashtray, or their custom-cup-holder-in-the-ashtray-slot, or their custom-cell-phone-holder-in-the-ashtray-slot. I could see leaving my cup holder with the 914 logo, or going with the CarbonFiber look. Either would be okay by me.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 2 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,922

Looks Great! Two questions- how much is it to do the dash in carbon fiber? And in the pictures on your website, who re-did your gauges with the aluminum brush finish? Those look great too!

+Quote Post
dovsky
post Feb 2 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 2 2016, 08:59 PM) *

Looks Great! Two questions- how much is it to do the dash in carbon fiber? And in the pictures on your website, who re-did your gauges with the aluminum brush finish? Those look great too!

To do the entire dash from carbon fiber will be almost cost prohibited because it will first require us to make the tooling (molds) for it using an original sacrificial dash in good condition - and those are not cheep. It will only make sense in a group buy scenario where the cost of the tooling could be absorbed by say 10-15 buyers. And even in such a low production run, the price point will probably be in the $1500-$2000 range leaving very little margin. Some things just don't make good business sense to make.

Regarding the aluminum gauge rings, I bought them from another member (spunone) back in 08. Not sure if he still makes them, but you can try asking him directly.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Feb 2 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(dovsky @ Feb 2 2016, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 2 2016, 08:59 PM) *

To do the entire dash from carbon fiber will be almost cost prohibited because it will first require us to make the tooling (molds) for it using an original sacrificial dash in good condition - and those are not cheep. It will only make sense in a group buy scenario where the cost of the tooling could be absorbed by say 10-15 buyers. And even in such a low production run, the price point will probably be in the $1500-$2000 range leaving very little margin. Some things just don't make good business sense to make.

Regarding the aluminum gauge rings, I bought them from another member (spunone) back in 08. Not sure if he still makes them, but you can try asking him directly.

Thanks. I just mean whats the cost to wrap it in carbon fiber, like you show above?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:51 AM