Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1970 porsche 914 ignition switch wiring, How does original ignition switch differ from new aftermarket switch.
radobard
post Feb 3 2016, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,563
Region Association: None

I just replaced my ignition switch on my 1970 porsche 914 4. The replacement switches have four wires connected , red, red/white, black, and grey. My original switch had five wires, red, red/black, black, grey, and a copper see through wire. First question, does the red/ white wire on the original replace the red/black wire on the new? Second question, what is the function of the copper see through wire? If I don't have it in the replacement switch, will something not work? Here is a photo of an original switch with the five wires. The see through copper looking wire is at the top.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3d914
post Feb 3 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

The image below shows the switch (26) on the schematic.

Red wire (#30 at connection #12) goes to the fuse box (Fuse 11), the main light switch, and battery positive. This should be a thick wire.

White wire (#34) appears to go to the adjacent signal switch in the column.

Red/White wire (#35 at connection 13) also goes to the light switch.

Black wire (#15 at connection 8) goes to fuse box (Fuse 8) and to the rear relay board in the large connector at pin 8.

Yellow wire (#36 at connection 10) also goes to the rear relay board in the large connector at pin 1.

Doesn't look like you can do without any of these. Haynes has a good manual for the 914 with all the schematics. May prove helpful.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Feb 3 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(3d914 @ Feb 3 2016, 07:08 PM) *

The image below shows the switch (26) on the schematic.

Red wire (#30 at connection #12) goes to the fuse box (Fuse 11), the main light switch, and battery positive. This should be a thick wire.

White wire (#34) appears to go to the adjacent signal switch in the column.

Red/White wire (#35 at connection 13) also goes to the light switch.

Black wire (#15 at connection 8) goes to fuse box (Fuse 8) and to the rear relay board in the large connector at pin 8.

Yellow wire (#36 at connection 10) also goes to the rear relay board in the large connector at pin 1.

Doesn't look like you can do without any of these. Haynes has a good manual for the 914 with all the schematics. May prove helpful.

Attached Image

Does that mean the replacement switch doesn't have enough wires? All of the replacement switches I have seen for the 70-71 4 cyls have only four wires. The 6 cyls have a reg 911 multi pin replacement switch.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 4 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The see-thru wire looks like a ground. I'd use an ohmmeter to confirm all the wire functions before I installed it.
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Feb 4 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #5

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 4 2016, 09:00 AM) *

The see-thru wire looks like a ground. I'd use an ohmmeter to confirm all the wire functions before I installed it.

I replace the ignition swith on my '70 914 recently. You'll need to unsolder the connectors and reuse them to fit the wiring back into the connector as shown. Be sure to cut the wires to precise length needed. The copper "see-through" wire is a ground.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
radobard
post Feb 11 2016, 11:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,563

Where does this ground wire connect within the ignition switch housing?

Roland
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 12 2016, 09:54 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

According to the picture posted above, the clear grounding wire just soldered to the outside of the housing.
+Quote Post
913B
post Feb 26 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,983

I would like to know also where the see thru ground terminates in the column/igntion or ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 28 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #9

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

That clear jacketed solid flat copper conductor goes up into the mechanical section of the keyed ignition lock mechanism, it is not part of the electrical ignition switch. I ohmed out the circuits and it appears to be the ground for the buzzer because it grounds at the first click of the key switch, is off otherwise.
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Feb 28 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 27 2016, 10:05 PM) *

That clear jacketed solid flat copper conductor goes up into the mechanical section of the keyed ignition lock mechanism, it is not part of the electrical ignition switch. I ohmed out the circuits and it appears to be the ground for the buzzer because it grounds at the first click of the key switch, is off otherwise.

I seem to remember that wire was grounded by the key itself when it was inserted all the way on my '71, maybe that's different on '70?

Makes sense that the buzzer only sounds if the door is open with the key still in...
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Feb 29 2016, 02:08 AM
Post #11

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 28 2016, 12:05 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yes, the end of the flat copper ground gets squashed in an interference fit between the tumbler body and the column housing. When it doesn't ground well, my warning buzzer doesn't work. I left it that way for years just to get rid of annoying buzzer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 2 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #12

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
913B
post Mar 2 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,983

Wow that's great information. I appreciate it. Thank you Jeff.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) since it's still apart I might try to chase that buzzer wire in the column

+Quote Post
raynekat
post May 12 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just to resurrect an old thread and question.

The new replacement ignition switches do not have the clear jacketed ground wire.
This wire is only used to activate a buzzer when you leave key in the car with the door open?
If I don't care about the buzzer, that cavity (no. 1) can be left empty on the ignition side of that connector?

Thx in advance....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:32 AM