Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pass side view mirror
SKL1
post Feb 3 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thinking of putting a side view mirror on pass side of my '73. If I remember correctly when havin the panel off, the nuts are welded in place on the inside for the screws aren't they? Even though it would pain me to do it, you could drill from the inside through those to create the holes?
Can you just turn the mirror around to use a spare mirror from the driver's side, or it a different part number for right (pass) side?

I may chicken out when it comes to drilling the holes though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Kansas 914
post Feb 3 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 3 2016, 05:14 PM) *

Thinking of putting a side view mirror on pass side of my '73. If I remember correctly when havin the panel off, the nuts are welded in place on the inside for the screws aren't they? Even though it would pain me to do it, you could drill from the inside through those to create the holes?
Can you just turn the mirror around to use a spare mirror from the driver's side, or it a different part number for right (pass) side?

I may chicken out when it comes to drilling the holes though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

You are correct on all points.

The mirror can be flipped. Some debate as to whether there was a factory passenger mirror part number. I suppose the nuts were there for right hand drive cars...
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Feb 3 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,069

I use my passenger side mirror all the time while driving you will not regret it.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 3 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 3 2016, 04:19 PM) *

The mirror can be flipped. Some debate as to whether there was a factory passenger mirror part number. I suppose the nuts were there for right hand drive cars...

No debate at all in fact! They were required equipment to have mirrors on both sides on cars in Sweden back when new `69-76, & a few other countries too (& RHD ones, as Kansas said), plus a factory or dealer supplied option on any 914 when new.

In fact have a brand new Porsche part pass. side mirror - which is slightly convex for pass. side (I bought 2 new L & R a couple of years ago), & AFAIK they're still available from Porsche new .... at a Porsche price of course.

It is also orrect that - you can also flip a flat driver's side one, if you're on a budget, but want the added safety of the p-side mirror visibility.

Correct on the nuts welded to the underside of the outer door skins on both driver & passenger doors.

Wrong on the drill from the inside - you'll need to carefully measure & find them on the outside & drill IN to door skin - otherwise you'll have the steel skin push-up to the outside, which you then have to flatten & cause more skin damage, or else they'll make the flat gasket under the mirror base not sit flat.

After drilling, I'd recco using some Wurth or Eastwood zinc rich primer on the bare metal, then a touch-up with enamel/urethane in your body color to prevent rust at the holes, but don't get it into the nut threads.

Not a bad addition with today's traffic & crazy drivers texting/talking! Plus nobody will worry about correct Porsche 914 "flag mirrors" on both sides at any PCA concours - & many out here in CA have them both sides.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
BeemerSteve
post Feb 3 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,123
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Also, before you start to drill from the outside put a piece of masking tape where you are going to drill measure to mark it then use the center punch and drill. Remember, measure, measure, measure then when you feel comfortable with it....drill away!
This keeps the drill bit centered and helps it from walking causing paint chaff. Rip the tape off and voila!!
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 3 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=228786
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 3 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I just did my black car. It takes ten minutes. The nuts are exactly where they are on the driver's side. It's not that big of a deal.

Measure, mark it and drill. From the outside.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Feb 3 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As far as I know there was never a right hand drive of the 914 model....only left hand drive.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 3 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #9

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I disagree about drilling from the inside. One of 2 ways. Run an 1/8" quality bit thru the nut with a small amount of pressure. You don't need to "stand on" a sharp bit and it will therefore not push the metal up. Then use a cheap Needle or Rat Tail file from the top to open up the hole.
Or, use a short piece of tubing or bushing stock placed in the same nut then run a bit thru the same size as your stock I.D. This centers your bit dead on. Then move to the outside and step drill to the proper size. Don't use cheap freaking bits and throw the dull ones in the trash. Low speed isn't necessary on thin metal but lube always helps. Plain old paraffin wax is great especially when drilling upside down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 3 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,732

Great advice but my hand will probably start shaking as it gets close to that nearly new bahia red paint!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Feb 4 2016, 02:40 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Use the internal punch method to mark the exact positioning, drill from outside in ever increasing drill sizes 2.5mm up to 6mm to check you’re not drilling off centre and cutting into the captive thread. (If you go off centre you have time to recover it at small drill diameter using a swiss rat tail file to get you back on track).

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i265.photobucket.com-18255-1454575232.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Feb 4 2016, 03:04 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 3 2016, 04:19 PM) *

Like raynekat said: I don't believe there were ever RHD 914's.

Also, the part number for the convex RH mirror is (was?) 914 731 040 10. Straight out of the parts katalog. LH mirror was 914 731 039 10. The real convex mirror is supposedly hard to find.
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Feb 4 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,037

Can you access the inner nuts without pulling out the window? I ask, as I have't pulled the panel yet to look, but have been thinking of adding the mirror too, as was considering being lazy, and doing a measure/locate from the outside.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 4 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

The cars were manufactured with the capture nuts in the door for a reason.

I use the right hand mirror constantly and I think the car looks better with two mirrors.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Feb 4 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #15

Tomrev,

Yes, remove door trim and roll up window, you can reach inside and around to feel the captive nuts. No need to take out the glass.
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Feb 4 2016, 09:45 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,037

QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 4 2016, 06:55 AM) *

Tomrev,

Yes, remove door trim and roll up window, you can reach inside and around to feel the captive nuts. No need to take out the glass.

Thanks all, found them, and agree it will be good to have the vision down that side.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 4 2016, 10:08 AM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I tend to just turn my head. So I'll be the voice of dissent and say the car looks better with one mirror. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 4 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #18

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2016, 07:52 PM) *

Don't use cheap freaking bits and throw the dull ones in the trash. Low speed isn't necessary on thin metal but lube always helps. Plain old paraffin wax is great especially when drilling upside down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Throw the cheap ones away when they get dull, but it doesn't take any time to sharpen a quality bit. I use a 6 inch bench sanding disc and wear magnifiers for my older eyes. In college I had electives, so I took metal shop in the engineering department. First thing they had us do is to file a perfect cube to .001 out of bar stock. They also showed us how to sharpen bits. Eventually we got to the Bridgeport and Southbend and Heliarc.

It is a bit scary to find the nuts behind the metal. And also easier than one thinks in the end. Because it is sort of like a magic trick I suggest shooting the holes with a .22 and a hand mirror. Preferably with an ace of spades taped over the hole.
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 4 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #19

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 4 2016, 08:08 AM) *

I tend to just turn my head. So I'll be the voice of dissent and say the car looks better with one mirror. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Doesn't everyone do a head check mirror or not? You coming on the trip south btw?
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Feb 4 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #20

"I tend to just turn my head"

Not so easy in a LHD 914 driving on the leftside in the UK when all you see in the drivers door mirror is the sidewalk :-)

Much much safer to have the passenger mirror I can tell you.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:23 PM