Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pass side view mirror
tomrev
post Feb 4 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,037
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 4 2016, 08:44 AM) *

"I tend to just turn my head"

Not so easy in a LHD 914 driving on the leftside in the UK when all you see in the drivers door mirror is the sidewalk :-)

Much much safer to have the passenger mirror I can tell you.

I agree the car looks sleeker without the mirror, but with my 4 cars crammed in a 2 car garage (you know, projects, race car sideways in back, etc.) I have twice just touched the garage door on the pass. side slowly backing out, so finally decided it was time to do it. I made a paper template from the drivers side, flipped it over, marked the locations, drilled with 1/8th in. bit, and there they were. Whole operation was about 15 min. Thanks for the helpful posts!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Feb 4 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #22

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2016, 08:42 AM) *

The cars were manufactured with the capture nuts in the door for a reason.

I use the right hand mirror constantly and I think the car looks better with two mirrors.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) When I worked in a Porsche dealer parts department in 1976, I noticed that under the fitment column in the parts catalog, the mirror was listed as L/R, meaning left or right application. That is when I mounted a right side mirror on my car. It is an important safety measure, and with a small spot on it, the right side mirror gives a useful view.
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 4 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #23

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 4 2016, 08:44 AM) *

"I tend to just turn my head"

Not so easy in a LHD 914 driving on the leftside in the UK when all you see in the drivers door mirror is the sidewalk :-)

Much much safer to have the passenger mirror I can tell you.

Right-ho. Sorry. All my knowledge of the U.K. comes from 1920 era novels.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Feb 4 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Jolly good old boy, you're right up to speed with modern Blighty then.
We've been living here since 40,000 years BC.
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Feb 4 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,896

Yeah, definitely put one on there.

+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Feb 4 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #26

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Cmon SKL1,

You are from Iowa, you can do this, I hit mine square in the middle on the first try!
It is in exactly the same location as the drivers side, use your mirror gasket as your template and drill your pilot hole with small diameter drill bit. With the window up you can feel and see (Flashlight) if you hit your mark!

Good luck and put tape down before you drill.

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 4 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #27

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I believe you'll find that the separation between the two pieces of glass in the door will block part of your mirror from your view.

There were some RHD 914s, but they were all post-Factory conversions. Several were done by Crayford's in the UK, and there were a few done onesy-twosey elsewhere.

--DD
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Dec 23 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

Does the mirror flip over (to put on the passenger side) via brute strength or does the glass need to come out and something has to be loosened on the inside? I wanted to check here before possibly stripping a part. Also, the one I have is used so that could have something to do with it.

I didn’t want to start a new thread so figured it’d be best to add this question here.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 23 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Loosen the nut under the mirror base. Sometimes the joints are so tight and corroded, you have to disassemble the mirror which does require removing by the seal around the glass.
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Dec 23 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 23 2017, 11:33 AM) *

Loosen the nut under the mirror base. Sometimes the joints are so tight and corroded, you have to disassemble the mirror which does require removing by the seal around the glass.

Thanks! I got the nut loose. Once that is done and the base is disconnected, does the mirror itself twist on the tube that is attached to it or is it not meant to turn without loosening something inside first? I just want to make sure i’m not breaking anything.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 23 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Dec 23 2017, 11:47 AM) *

Thanks! I got the nut loose. Once that is done and the base is disconnected, does the mirror itself twist on the tube that is attached to it or is it not meant to turn without loosening something inside first? I just want to make sure i’m not breaking anything.

The base will turn with the nut loose. If the mirror doesn’t turn easily on the other end of the angled arm, you need to remove the mirror glass to get at the other nut. Don’t force it, the stainless steel back is easily damaged.

The clamping mechanism is basically the same on each end of the angled arm.

Also, the ss mirror back polishes up nicely with mother’s polish.
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Dec 23 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 23 2017, 11:58 AM) *

The base will turn with the nut loose. If the mirror doesn’t turn easily on the other end of the angled arm, you need to remove the mirror glass to get at the other nut. Don’t force it, the stainless steel back is easily damaged.

Thank you again...looks like I’ll be takibg it apart.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Dec 23 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 18,984

since were hijacking this thread witch mirror belongs on a 74 the large one or the small one as I have one of each (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 23 2017, 03:13 PM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 23 2017, 04:11 PM) *

since were hijacking this thread witch mirror belongs on a 74 the large one or the small one as I have one of each (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

Large one with radiused arm vs 90 degree arm.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 23 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Dec 23 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Use your fingernails to remove the trim ring on mirror. A hard tool will damage the ss back. Lube all the metal parts with oil or grease.
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Dec 23 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 23 2017, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Dec 23 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Use your fingernails to remove the trim ring on mirror. A hard tool will damage the ss back. Lube all the metal parts with oil or grease.

Thanks again to @mepstein for the advice. I figured I’d provide some tips here for the knuckle-draggers like me who find things like this to be challenging.

To loosen the base nut of one of these, you will need a very narrow 10 mm socket to access and loosen the nut. Mine did not fit. I had luck borrowing from a friend who has a light duty ratchet set.

To get the retaining ring off, I manipulated the ring with one hand and slid an old health insurance card between the glass and the ring (a credit card would not fit). Once I got that in there, I was able to get the ring off with some patience.

From there, I got the mirror away from the plastic seat and then got the seat out. After spraying penetrating oil, I was able to get the arm moving freely.

Since I now have the glass out, I cannot justify putting the old glass back in, so I ordered 2 from 914rubber as the other side is in similar condition. Pretty sure I told the mrs. recently that I was done buying stuff for this car for a while. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) Anyway, this is one of my winter projects planned for my car and hope my tips help others. The pic below shows it broken down.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JFG
post Jun 14 2018, 11:47 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 19,869

Just the breakdown and instruction i needed to flip one of my mirrors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 14 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #38

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I find both factory mirrors to be pretty much junk... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 03:58 AM