Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spray Gun Recommendations, Calling all painters out there
somd914
post Feb 7 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I picked up a nice '73 Revenna green teener last fall that had been a stalled project. Mechanically she is back together and on the road, body is solid being a SOCAL car until the last 10 years and basically garaged for refreshing since then, but she does need paint.

I've done a bit of panel paint work, do a respectable job, and have decided to paint this car myself with the help of an experienced hobbyist painter. For this I'm looking to upgrade guns.

Given the local paint shop is a Dupont retailer, I plan to use their products, will be shooting base and clear, not single stage (don't even know if I can get single stage if I wanted it...). Will also be shooting primer with this gun.

Presently I have a 25 gallon compressor that is advertised to be 7.0 CFM at 90 PSI, but have no issues with upgrading my compressor now that I have a larger garage and plenty of 220 service.

Any recommendations for a decent gun setup?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 7 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #2

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 7 2016, 06:58 AM) *

I picked up a nice '73 Revenna green teener last fall that had been a stalled project. Mechanically she is back together and on the road, body is solid being a SOCAL car until the last 10 years and basically garaged for refreshing since then, but she does need paint.

I've done a bit of panel paint work, do a respectable job, and have decided to paint this car myself with the help of an experienced hobbyist painter. For this I'm looking to upgrade guns.

Given the local paint shop is a Duron retailer, I plan to use their products, will be shooting base and clear, not single stage (don't even know if I can get single stage if I wanted it...). Will also be shooting primer with this gun.

Presently I have a 25 gallon compressor that is advertised to be 7.0 CFM at 90 PSI, but have no issues with upgrading my compressor now that I have a larger garage and plenty of 220 service.

Any recommendations for a decent gun setup?

Now that I have painted 3 cars I am not sure. I have bought several guns and I use different ones for different purposes. One thing I learned on the last go around was to play with all of the adjustments to get what you want, which may not be what the manual states. I wish I had spent $400 on a gun now because I have spent $4000 in paint. Also, a mini gun is indispensable in my experience. Hopefully Rick will chime in cause he and a few others here are real experts.
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Feb 7 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

I have painted more than a few cars and panels and struggled with cheap guns. When I built up my 1929 Ford Roadster in 2000, I decided to spring for a good gun. I know that every one has their own preference as to type of gun so I won't get into that. I bought a Binks siphon feed gun that a child could do a good quality paint job with. A good gun is that easy to use. It was one of my best tool purchases ever!

Charlie
+Quote Post
somd914
post Feb 7 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the feedback worn and flyer86d.

I've done a lot of playing with my gun, AOM 5008WB, and as I mentioned I've had respectable luck with panel work, but it's a pain to find parts, and have to wonder about better results with a better gun.

Also I've found differences in materials, i.e. inexpensive paints typically don't spray well, at least for me.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Feb 7 2016, 12:06 PM
Post #5

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

Painted lots of cars with a cheap siphon feed gun. Lots of overspray and orange peel. Bought this and never looked back.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914GT
post Feb 7 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been using a Tekna Copper gun the past few years and it has been very good.

Guy
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 7 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I used a Husky hvlp gun, I have a nice gun now but in reality you can find a gun that will give you 99% of a $500 gun for under 100.

I buy all my consumables and paint from www.tcpglobal.com and they have a great selection of guns as well.

Read the first half of my build thread for tips on paint and body.
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Feb 7 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #8

Panel beater

Member No.: 17,469
Region Association: South East States

Okay. Hold on a sec. Did you say Duron? That is house paint. I am a painter by trade with 32 years in the business and currently work for PPG automotive coatings. I would recommend base clear for every job! Because you can work with the color until you get it how you like it then lock it in with clear. Even if you use a single stage urethane I would integrate clear in the last coat for durability. As far as paint guns I would recommend a good quality HVLP if you have the compressor to handle the air volume. HVLP uses a lot of air at low pressure. I would also recommend using a gun with a 1.4 or 1.3 fluid tip. The "cheap" guns you can get typically have too big of a tip and will make for a less than stellar job. Like spraying with a garden hose. Any of the paint gun manufacturers guns will be a good choice. Data, Devilbiss, Iwata. They are more expensive but the results are very noticeably better.
I feel sure there is a good automotive paint supplier in your area that would be happy to assist. Also look on PPG automotive coatings website for tips and tutorials. Ppg A automotive also had great videos on you tube.
Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Bill
+Quote Post
somd914
post Feb 8 2016, 04:43 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Feb 7 2016, 11:40 PM) *

Okay. Hold on a sec. Did you say Duron? That is house paint. I am a painter by trade with 32 years in the business and currently work for PPG automotive coatings. I would recommend base clear for every job! Because you can work with the color until you get it how you like it then lock it in with clear. Even if you use a single stage urethane I would integrate clear in the last coat for durability. As far as paint guns I would recommend a good quality HVLP if you have the compressor to handle the air volume. HVLP uses a lot of air at low pressure. I would also recommend using a gun with a 1.4 or 1.3 fluid tip. The "cheap" guns you can get typically have too big of a tip and will make for a less than stellar job. Like spraying with a garden hose. Any of the paint gun manufacturers guns will be a good choice. Data, Devilbiss, Iwata. They are more expensive but the results are very noticeably better.
I feel sure there is a good automotive paint supplier in your area that would be happy to assist. Also look on PPG automotive coatings website for tips and tutorials. Ppg A automotive also had great videos on you tube.
Bill

Oops, too much house painting going on with this "new" old house... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Make that DuPont... And they are 40 miles away - kind of live in the sticks. They appear to be more of just a retailer than knowledgeable car painters, but that seems to be retail in general. And being a DuPont retailer they also sell Nason, but for me with my AOM HLVP gun (with 1.2 and 1.4 tips), I've had better results with DuPont Chromabase products.

Thanks for all the feedback to everyone. More to consider and more research.
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Feb 8 2016, 06:30 AM
Post #10

Panel beater

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 8 2016, 05:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Feb 7 2016, 11:40 PM) *

Bill

Oops, too much house painting going on with this "new" old house... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Make that DuPont... And they are 40 miles away - kind of live in the sticks. They appear to be more of just a retailer than knowledgeable car painters, but that seems to be retail in general. And being a DuPont retailer they also sell Nason, but for me with my AOM HLVP gun (with 1.2 and 1.4 tips), I've had better results with DuPont Chromabase products.

Thanks for all the feedback to everyone. More to consider and more research.

No worries. Axalta (formerly DuPont) will work. Take the label off its just chemistry. Good luck
B
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 07:17 AM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

I had extremely bad luck with Nason painting Peters(malaga_red75 car). Read my paint thread for him on it in my sig. I wont use that product again.
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Feb 8 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,106

Best gun out there for the money - Iwata LPH400. You'll pay about $400, but it is an awesome gun used by pros. Bonus when shooting PPG is that PPG gives you gun setup paramters FOR THAT ACTUAL GUN, because it is a pro gun.

I ran it with an 80 gallon compressor. No issues, painted the whole car beautifully.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Feb 8 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #13

Panel beater

QUOTE(Catorse @ Feb 8 2016, 10:51 AM) *

Best gun out there for the money - Iwata LPH400. You'll pay about $400, but it is an awesome gun used by pros. Bonus when shooting PPG is that PPG gives you gun setup paramters FOR THAT ACTUAL GUN, because it is a pro gun.

I ran it with an 80 gallon compressor. No issues, painted the whole car beautifully.

Iwata is my gun of choice too. Looks awesome. What did you put on it?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Catorse @ Feb 8 2016, 07:51 AM) *

Same gun I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Very good gun, Sprayed my dads El Camino and Peters car with it.

A beginner will NOT notice the difference between it and a $100 gun, (I still have my Husky gun for quick jobs, good gun).
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 8 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #15

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Feb 7 2016, 08:40 PM) *

currently work for PPG automotive coatings. I would recommend base clear for every job! Because you can work with the color until you get it how you like it then lock it in with clear. Even if you use a single stage urethane I would integrate clear in the last coat for durability.
Bill

I like the PPG products. Also I think the idea of a base clear is a good one. I used single stage for my old cars out of a sense of period, but it seems a lot easier when I fix a ding on my wife's modern car with base clear.

Yes, I was driving the mini van when the ding occurred, but it was at least in the Harbor Freight parking lot.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #16

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(worn @ Feb 8 2016, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Feb 7 2016, 08:40 PM) *

currently work for PPG automotive coatings. I would recommend base clear for every job! Because you can work with the color until you get it how you like it then lock it in with clear. Even if you use a single stage urethane I would integrate clear in the last coat for durability.
Bill

I like the PPG products. Also I think the idea of a base clear is a good one. I used single stage for my old cars out of a sense of period, but it seems a lot easier when I fix a ding on my wife's modern car with base clear.

Yes, I was driving the mini van when the ding occurred, but it was at least in the Harbor Freight parking lot.

I dont know about that.. Mix a couple drops of Color and an appropriate couple drops of hardner in a plastic cup, clean the chip with wax and grease remover, then get a couple of toothpicks and grab a drop and drop it into the chip. Wait a month (or 3 years in my case...) and wetsand it flat and polish by hand.
+Quote Post
Kraftwerk
post Feb 8 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,085

Saw a documentary of the Lamborghini factory painters, actually they ship the bodies 75 km away, since the factory doesn't have in-house painting facilities (!) There are two guys who shoot the panels simultaneously one guy does the inside the other guy does the outside in the opposite direction. Auto painting fascinates me, seems like there is magic involved.
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Feb 8 2016, 01:07 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Feb 8 2016, 08:29 AM) *

PPG Envirobase, PPG Clear, color is AUBERGINE.
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Feb 8 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #19

Panel beater

QUOTE(Catorse @ Feb 8 2016, 02:07 PM) *

Like it!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Feb 8 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Feb 8 2016, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Catorse @ Feb 8 2016, 02:07 PM) *

Like it!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks bro, I know you work for PPG, but honestly, with this build I did not want to screw around. I wanted the BEST. For me, that means PPG. Total cost of paint was $1400 with everything, hardeners, base, clear, strainers, One Choice cleaner, etc etc. Worth every penny.

This product is OUTSTANDING.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:00 PM