Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock 1.7L Cylinders, Question About Cooling Fins
Seventyfive914
post Mar 20 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,249

Hello All. I'm tearing down the 1.7L from the '73 to evaluate it's condition. It sat for a long time, how long I'm not quite sure but for at least several years. Anyway, I've got the motor turning pretty freely by hand and the bottom end feels pretty good and tight. I have the flywheel off the motor 'cause it bolts up onto my stand easier that way. So with no preload on the crank the movement that's visable at the fan hub should be well within spec after re-installing the flywheel. So the real question is, due to the stubborn union at the mating surface of head/cylinder on #4 cylinder the unwanted but otherwise necessary prying with a big arse screwdriver resulted in chipping off a section of cooling fin. Can that cylinder be re-used with out the concern of overheating due to the loss of some finnage? Also, does anyone know of a source for just cylinders? All I've been able to find in the past are P&C kits. I want to use the domed pistons if they're still good to run the higher compression for more ponies. Regards, -K-
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 20 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

One broke fin per side is OK...no more.

All you'll find for getting one cylinder is used.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:45 PM