Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> lotus europa tc special same Era as 914
914world2014
post Feb 8 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,214
Region Association: None

The lotus europa tc special was same Era as 914. Are you familiar with this europa.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
struckn
post Feb 8 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914world2014 @ Feb 8 2016, 03:12 PM) *

The lotus europa tc special was same Era as 914. Are you familiar with this europa.

Yes, the Europa was an excellent Sorts car. I had friends that had one and it's roof height was probibly the lowest of any car that I road in. You're almost laying down insde. So, dangerously low that most of the ones I saw had to put a tall whip antenna on the back bumper with a triagle Flag on the end to be seen and notget run over. I did a lot of Autocross racing in the ealy 70's and the Europa's often won Fastest time of the day.

I'd love to have one but I think I would prefer the Lotus 7 which when imported to the US as a Kit Car to avoid US Safety requirements I beleive.

All that being said, the 914 is a much better choice to have as you can drive them anywhere, race them, or just enjoy the amazing ride they give on a twisty back road with the Targa Top off. Truly a Street legal go cart ride and performance...plus it comes free with one of the biggest online Clubs in the World....914world.com.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 8 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

What's "TC Special"? I have a close friend with a JPS, John Player Special Lotus Europa, with the dual-port heads and DCOE carbs. It's an interesting car, drives OK but shifts like our 914s with the tail-shifters. The Ford 1600cc is an Ok engine but not, IMO, as torquey as my 2L.

I mean, they're good cars and very much in the spirit of Chapman's "add lightness" priorities. But you get tagged in one of those and you're in trouble (it's a Fiberglas body on a channel-frame; not much steel between the door and central tunnel.)

My buddy would probably sell his if someone's interested (he's got a 70s 911 Carrera replica that he enjoys driving now).
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Feb 8 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #4

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I owned a '74 Twin Cam Europa with 5-speed. When I bought it, it was 10 years old with under 35k miles and was falling apart. They are a very fragile car. Fiberglass body on a steel backbone chassis. NO side protection at all. Shifting was very loose.

It was more a go-kart for the road than the 914. After driving the Lotus for a month while my 914 was having work done, the 914 steering felt heavy compared to the Lotus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post Feb 8 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #5

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

I owned this JPS for 5 years. I sold it about 5 years ago to purchase my LE creamsicle. I loved it and in a perfect world I would have kept it but I wanted this LE and with the lack of money and space, the Lotus had to go.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 8 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

World class handling, worlds worst quality.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Feb 8 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #7

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 8 2016, 09:59 PM) *

World class handling, worlds worst quality.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I maintain one of those at S9. The guy who owns it pays big money for me to even touch it. If you think I cuss like a sailor in regular life......

He also has a Fiat X1/9. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Feb 8 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

need LotusJoe in here.
He knows some Europa stuff.
I think they are neat cars
+Quote Post
bretth
post Feb 8 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

They are interesting cars but i cannot get into the shape of the rear half.
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Feb 8 2016, 11:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,373

Much more cramped inside especially for the tall than the 914, but equal in handling IMHO. Appointment in interior kinda primitive compared to the 914. Engine fire? say goodby. body burns like a gas dipped candle.
I dig the twin cam version. If I had the room I would have one. Very rare to see one on the road these days.

Some say too odd looking, but haven't we heard that before ?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2016, 12:30 AM
Post #11

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 8 2016, 06:22 PM) *

I owned this JPS for 5 years. I sold it about 5 years ago to purchase my LE creamsicle. I loved it and in a perfect world I would have kept it but I wanted this LE and with the lack of money and space, the Lotus had to go.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1695-1454984507.jpeg)

Hi Steve!

I saw Steve's JPS when he still had it, & it was just as nice as his 914-6 & Sahara Biege 73 2L! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

For my tastes - I preferred their earlier Elan & later Esprit for styling reasons.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Feb 9 2016, 04:56 AM
Post #12

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Chapman always built his cars on the very edge of everything including weight and quality. These cars are nothing more than a disguised race car of the era and performed very well; maintenance costs another thing. I had the '77 Lotus Esprit until a few years ago and had friends with Elans which is one of the best Lotus made; another one which really made the name Lotus was the Seven. The Seven is still a very enjoyable road and race car which holds its own even today.

The Europa is very, very hard to get in and out requiring one to carefully climb in and then roll out on your hands. Great car for auto crossing and racing. Lotus had the reputation "if it broke, make it lighter; run it harder". Great innovation came out of the Lotus Works.

Dld you know there was one of these Europa's had a v-8 installed at the factory and sold to a customer; it was being restored about ten or so years ago. Great history behind Lotus both as a road car and in racing.
+Quote Post
914world2014
post Feb 9 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Feb 9 2016, 02:56 AM) *

Chapman always built his cars on the very edge of everything including weight and quality. These cars are nothing more than a disguised race car of the era and performed very well; maintenance costs another thing. I had the '77 Lotus Esprit until a few years ago and had friends with Elans which is one of the best Lotus made; another one which really made the name Lotus was the Seven. The Seven is still a very enjoyable road and race car which holds its own even today.

The Europa is very, very hard to get in and out requiring one to carefully climb in and then roll out on your hands. Great car for auto crossing and racing. Lotus had the reputation "if it broke, make it lighter; run it harder". Great innovation came out of the Lotus Works.

Dld you know there was one of these Europa's had a v-8 installed at the factory and sold to a customer; it was being restored about ten or so years ago. Great history behind Lotus both as a road car and in racing.

I always wanted to get one of these, especially a JPS. I have a beautiful 914 LE, will see some day.
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Feb 9 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 14,400

I did a complete restoration on a 74 Europa special. Had 19,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Ground up, it was powder coated and polished. Louie Unser did the build on the motor. went all out on this Lotus.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 9 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #15

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

When I had my 2nd Six a neighbor around the corner had the JPS Lotus. He was a car nut too. We would take each other for rides and scare the crap out of each other. Both cars handled like they were on rails. He still has that JPS and one more, non JPS in his garage.

I can't wait until I get my Six back and take a ride to the old-old neighborhood and show it to him and check out both his cars.

We are both older and hopefully wiser now.....
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Feb 9 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #16

More

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 9 2016, 11:26 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(bretth @ Feb 8 2016, 10:06 PM) *

They are interesting cars but i cannot get into the shape of the rear half.

reminds me of the 914 "TRUCK" mod.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Feb 9 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #18

Well u get the ideal on restoration, for some reason I lost the completed pictures on my backup drive. when I have time I'll scan and update. The Lotus was very hard to get into, and out of. But once in it was a blast to drive. Sold it to the guy who I bought it from. The 914 is much easier to get in and out of.
+Quote Post
914world2014
post Feb 9 2016, 11:33 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 9 2016, 09:29 AM) *

Well u get the ideal on restoration, for some reason I lost the completed pictures on my backup drive. when I have time I'll scan and update. The Lotus was very hard to get into, and out of. But once in it was a blast to drive. Sold it to the guy who I bought it from. The 914 is much easier to get in and out of.

Nice restoration!! WOW. Would have bought it off you. Was it a 5 speed?
+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Feb 9 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(914world2014 @ Feb 9 2016, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 9 2016, 09:29 AM) *

Nice restoration!! WOW. Would have bought it off you. Was it a 5 speed?

Yes.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:54 PM