Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 - changing the colour from original, Effect on value?
cal914
post Feb 9 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,366
Region Association: None

We have recently bought a matching numbers 914/6 and it needs some restoration work including a bare metal re-spray. It is (original) Alaska [edit: should have said Adriatic blue] Blue and we are not keen on that colour. Our favourite colour is Signal Orange.

We will be keeping the car once restored and driving it and showing it, for the foreseeable.

We would be interested to hear views on the effect on value in changing the colour.

Thanks Kate/Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Kate & Brian,

I've struggled with the same dillemma - in reverse - myself in my 73 914-2.0 "914S" (914SC in UK) resto - it being the L80E Light Ivory (white) from the factory, & going to the 73 colors I really like: Marathon Blue & Alaska Blue Metallics. .... Marathon Blue being my top choice in factory blues for 73 MY.

Changing colors on 914s back in the day was pretty common - even by the dealers to get them sold, as with mine having had several intervening repaints to Sahara Biege & Gold before I got it in Dec. 75 (in just 36 months!), + the 75-76 MY 914 Copper & the 930 Anthracite Grey Metallic at my hand in 8/76 & 6/80 respectively.

What I found in my informal survey of original vs. color change to period correct factory colors was that the cars were running 20-60% below those in their correct original colors when restored, & going to a non-factory/non-Porsche color was even worse. I was looking solely at similar 73 & 74 MY 914-2.0s on resale a couple of years back while researching & planning for my resto.

A 20-40% deduct on value for a $20-30,000 `73 2.0 /4 isn't too earth shattering, but on an $80,000-100,000 914-6 could put quite a hole in one's pocket!

I did not look at 914-6s at all, but suggest that you do so in your own survey of actual sales, & by contacting the 914-6 registry website, Hagarty Classic Car Insurance here in the US, George Hussey at Auto Atlanta, etc. for their expert opinions (as I also did). Except for a few others far more expert than I on here - what you'll get is more hearsay & anecdotal evidence (as is mine), & merely personal opinions.

Ultimately - she's your car & your check to repaint, & living with the consequences of your choice on same.

Also - Alaska Blue was not a 1970 nor 1971 color - I think you mean either L98P/1010 Blue Metallic (70 MY), or L96E/8610 Gemini Blue Metallic (71 MY) [FYI - the Porsche codes used on 914-6s for those same colors are listed on the colors page at the 914 Info link at the top of this webpage) - that is, unless was the non-metallic L50E/1610 Adriatic Blue. Note that I've added the "10" convention for Porsche factory colors to the color's leading 2-digit number for the paint color, which was used to signify the black targa top on 914-6's & other 911/912 models (as compared to the numbers in the 914world color chart).

Look on your Karmann Plate in the front doorjamb of the driver's door & the color code is stamped oin the bottom box thereon, &/or it should be on your COA - but those have been widely known to have been incorrectly done by Porsche here in the USA, & possibly in Germany too, due to folks doing them not looking up the right code interpretation for a particular MY. I had to fight with PCNA over their incorrect color name off of what they had as the correct color code.

So if your COA says the Alaska Blue - then it's incorrect, unless you have a 98/L98/99 custom paint code on that Karman plate - & even then you'll need to confirm what the customer requested color actually was directly from the original Kardex build card &/or original dealer order sheet!

See these links & look at the pix of the actual 914s in those colors:

1970 MY - http://p914.com/p914_paint_70.htm

1971 MY - http://p914.com/p914_paint_71.htm

All MY's Colors - http://p914.com/p914_paint.htm

Please substitute mentally your UK "colours" - for my "colors" above! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What I did to desensitize myself to actually liking the L80E Light Ivory was to start collecting pix of nice 914s in that color - especially with the dealer option "PORSCHE" side-script decal, to get the Auto Art 1:18 model in that color, & to learn that "white" is one of the easiest colors to present at concours! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Maybe after you recheck on the original color, then you can do a similar desensitizing to it - if you decide to keep it in the original color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers & Good Luck on your Research & Project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 9 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 9 2016, 02:35 PM) *

We have recently bought a matching numbers 914/6 and it needs some restoration work including a bare metal re-spray. It is (original) Alaska Blue and we are not keen on that colour. Our favourite colour is Signal Orange.

We will be keeping the car once restored and driving it and showing it, for the foreseeable.

We would be interested to hear views on the effect on value in changing the colour.

Thanks Kate/Brian

Yes, it will likely affect the value.

A bare-metal restoration should put the car in the six-figure price range. And at that price, collectors (who seem to be buying cars in that pedigree) will, in most instances, have a preference for the original color. How much will it affect it? Who knows. The more the cars go up in price/value, the more important the original color, as well as original equipment, will become. Just my .02.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Feb 9 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #4

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

A few years back changing the color was no big deal, but now on 6s and even nice 4s it translates to a loss in value. Perception is king.

You may want to enjoy the car but ultimately it will come down to what it's worth. Some off the wall options:
- Paint it blue and be proud of what you have...many of us would be very happy with any kind of /6.
- sell this one and find a nice orange 6 to suit you.
- restore this one but don't paint it...prime it and wrap it in shiny orange wrap...when done right it's hard to tell it;s not paint. Then paint it blue after you've enjoyed orange for awhile.

If it were me I'd paint it blue and maximize its value for whomever may need to sell it...me, my wife, kids, etc.

I only have a /4 but I painted it original black...I like Tangerine myself.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 9 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I would hazard a guess at about 20%

Many collectors would not even consider it when shopping for a top tier car, they would simply move on to another car. That leaves your buying pool with a majority of dealers and flippers instead of end users. Yes there will be exceptions to this, but generally speaking not a good move IMO.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 9 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And further, the 914 blue colors are great!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 9 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 9 2016, 02:53 PM) *

I would hazard a guess at about 20%

Many collectors would not even consider it when shopping for a top tier car, they would simply move on to another car. That leaves your buying pool with a majority of dealers and flippers instead of end users. Yes there will be exceptions to this, but generally speaking not a good move IMO.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The other thing to consider it the depth of the work that would be required for a correct color change. You are talking stripping the car to the shell, stripping the color from every hard place that would not be required if you left the car the factory color. The cost for a proper color change would be enormous. That and the hit on the value when you think it's time to sell will likely sour your day. Likely your year.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Feb 9 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 107

A start would be to deduct the cost of a professional paint job from the price you think the car would bring upon selling at some future date.
You may want to consider also that Alaska Blue on a 914-6 is rather unusual and is a very nice color.
But normally we make them and drive them like we want.
Have a great time with your restoration.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 9 2016, 03:06 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Few questions...
Are you willing to take a hit on resale?
Is your colour choice want worth that hit?

also

Do you plan to drive it till you're dead?
Do you care what's its value is after you are dead?

My car isn't a real six (3.0 conversion) but I'm going drive the shit out of it till it's dead or I am.
Don't give a flying coutus if you don't like my colour choice.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
cal914
post Feb 9 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,366

"Also - Alaska Blue was not a 1970 nor 1971 color - I think you mean either L98P/1010 Blue Metallic (70 MY), or L96E/8610 Gemini Blue Metallic (71 MY) [FYI - the Porsche codes used on 914-6s for those same colors are listed on the colors page at the 914 Info link at the top of this webpage) - that is, unless was the non-metallic L50E/1610 Adriatic Blue. Note that I've added the "10" convention for Porsche factory colors to the color's leading 2-digit number for the paint color, which was used to signify the black targa top on 914-6's & other 911/912 models (as compared to the numbers in the 914world color chart).

Look on your Karmann Plate in the front doorjamb of the driver's door & the color code is stamped oin the bottom box thereon, &/or it should be on your COA - but those have been widely known to have been incorrectly done by Porsche here in the USA, & possibly in Germany too, due to folks doing them not looking up the right code interpretation for a particular MY. I had to fight with PCNA over their incorrect color name off of what they had as the correct color code.

So if your COA says the Alaska Blue - then it's incorrect, unless you have a 98/L98/99 custom paint code on that Karman plate - & even then you'll need to confirm what the customer requested color actually was directly from the original Kardex build card &/or original dealer order sheet!"

Thanks for the advice - and sorry I got it wrong it is indeed Adriatic Blue.

Kate/Brian

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 9 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #11

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Collectors in the market for an investment car will be a 100% loss for you because they will rarely even consider a color change car. As these cars become more valuable, by changing the color or anything from factory specs, you immediately lose a segment of the potential buyer pool that values such details as a matter of quality, and when you do find a potential buyer, they will expect a value reduction. Either way you lose.

PS Adriatic Blue is one of, if not THE most desirable and sought after 914 colors.
+Quote Post
jor
post Feb 9 2016, 03:41 PM
Post #12

Just happy to be here.

Member No.: 17,693

Please enjoy this decision -- this is the kind of problem that many of us wish we had!

My two cents: 914-6 values are rising quickly and the most valuable ones match their factory build sheets. I'd either (1) restore in its original color, (2) trade it for a restorable 6 in signal orange, or (3) store the blue 6 while using the money you'd otherwise spend on restoration to buy a perfect, signal orange conversion. Really, for the cost of restoration, I bet a few on this list could build you exactly what you want and have it done in the same period of time.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Feb 9 2016, 03:58 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 107

If this is the correct Adriatic Blue....it's a nice color!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 9 2016, 04:03 PM
Post #14

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Blah blah blah...... yeah, you are going to take a hit in the value of the car if you change it from its original factory painted color.

It is your car. If you are a flipper, paint it the factory color to maximize profit

If, however, you are building this car to keep and drive and really do not care about the inherent value of the color matching the COA, then paint it whatever color you like so long as you are doing a proper color change and removing all remnants of the original color so it never shows again. BTW, Adriatic Blue is a beautiful color.

I would suggest however considering one of the colors offered for the 914 the year your car was made just to keep it period correct- or not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
post Feb 9 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 9 2016, 02:03 PM) *

Blah blah blah...... yeah, you are going to take a hit in the value of the car if you change it from its original factory painted color.

It is your car. If you are a flipper, paint it the factory color to maximize profit

If, however, you are building this car to keep and drive and really do not care about the inherent value of the color matching the COA, then paint it whatever color you like so long as you are doing a proper color change and removing all remnants of the original color so it never shows again. BTW, Adriatic Blue is a beautiful color.

I would suggest however considering one of the colors offered for the 914 the year your car was made just to keep it period correct- or not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great advice, no matter which path you go. I'm sure you will want to maximize your return on investment.
Unless you are the one that just won the Mega Lottery.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 9 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 9 2016, 01:18 PM) *
Collectors in the market for an investment car will be a 100% loss for you because they will rarely even consider a color change car. As these cars become more valuable, by changing the color or anything from factory specs, you immediately lose a segment of the potential buyer pool that values such details as a matter of quality, and when you do find a potential buyer, they will expect a value reduction. Either way you lose.

PS Adriatic Blue is one of, if not THE most desirable and sought after 914 colors.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 9 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Funny, Adriatic Blue is the best color on a stock 914 in my opinion.

I would NEVER change that color on that car, but that's me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #18

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/p914.com-10181-1455060383.1.jpg)

Adriatic Blue example from p914.com & narrow body with Mahle "Gas Burners" wheels to boot!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

It's an outstanding Blue without the added difficulties of the 3 stage metallic paints Porsche used for the other Blues previously discussed.

Still check your Karman plate to verify the 1610 (L50E) paint code is there to match the COA.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 9 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,349

Being one who has changed the color of his car, I think I will chime in. Most color change cars are not done properly. In my opinion, that is what devalues the car most. You look in the trunk, and it is painted Krylon rattle black. Or, worse, undercoating was used. It speaks of half measures. I will say, that it you do change the color, make it a color that is desirable. This will minimize the value reduction, and in some cases, eliminate it.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 9 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #20

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 9 2016, 03:16 PM) *

Funny, Adriatic Blue is the best color on a stock 914 in my opinion.

I would NEVER change that color on that car, but that's me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Love that color. Perhaps other will post some more "arm-twisting" pics of nice Adriatic cars.

The OP specifically asked about this decision changing the value. I think that the consensus is in. Considering current values, and the loss taken, it would make more sense to restore the car to original and build a nice signal orange conversion with the money that would have been lost. Two for the price of one, if you will.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:09 AM