Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 - changing the colour from original, Effect on value?
siverson
post Feb 9 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

IMO, Adriatic Blue is one of the best colors on a 914.

I'd trade my Irish Green six for an Adriatic Blue one...

-Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 9 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

if its not the COA color ,,its not numbers matching....use the Ill never sell it ...or its mine, I'll do what I want , But #'s matching is #'s matching... no But its a color change..no matter how good...
Hard choice...in the end its just a car
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

So Kate & Brian - I'm assuming it may be a California car by your screen name, or that you wish it were.

So here's a little something to start desensitizing yourself to Adriatic Blue on your 914-6, just put on the Beach Boys music, think of Fun in the Sun, Surfer Dudes & Chicks - or Surfer Guys & Gals as we actually said back in the `60's & `70's - & stare at this daily!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Grab your board & "Let's go surfin' now, everybody's learnin' how...."!
.... in blue .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

I was a body surfer, so I kept my BLUE Duckfeet fins & "Jams" swim trunks in my 914 at all times, just in case surf was up & I had the time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 9 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 9 2016, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 9 2016, 02:53 PM) *

I would hazard a guess at about 20%

Many collectors would not even consider it when shopping for a top tier car, they would simply move on to another car. That leaves your buying pool with a majority of dealers and flippers instead of end users. Yes there will be exceptions to this, but generally speaking not a good move IMO.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The other thing to consider it the depth of the work that would be required for a correct color change. You are talking stripping the car to the shell, stripping the color from every hard place that would not be required if you left the car the factory color. The cost for a proper color change would be enormous. That and the hit on the value when you think it's time to sell will likely sour your day. Likely your year.

I agree.
A proper color change is huge work.
The better it's done, the harder it is to recover from.
Just imagine a prospect saying " I love your car but I'll have to pass...... It has to be disassembled ......again"
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 9 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 9 2016, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 9 2016, 02:53 PM) *

I would hazard a guess at about 20%

Many collectors would not even consider it when shopping for a top tier car, they would simply move on to another car. That leaves your buying pool with a majority of dealers and flippers instead of end users. Yes there will be exceptions to this, but generally speaking not a good move IMO.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The other thing to consider it the depth of the work that would be required for a correct color change. You are talking stripping the car to the shell, stripping the color from every hard place that would not be required if you left the car the factory color. The cost for a proper color change would be enormous. That and the hit on the value when you think it's time to sell will likely sour your day. Likely your year.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 9 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

DO NOT change that color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Feb 9 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #27

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Adriatic Blue is one of the best colors. It will hurt the value of a fully restored 9i4/6 by at least 20% as others have said. It's your car, do what you want.

If you really wanted a signal orange /6, you should restore and sell this one and keep looking for one to restore for yourself.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 10 2016, 07:51 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

do not change the color!!! For all the reasons given here and also so that you never have to say "it is not the original color"

I suggest that if your ultimate dream car is a sig orange, then go on the quest to find one. Having a wonderful Adriatic car in the process is a great start as a basis to trade or sell or whatever. It will become part of the story in the quest for that sig orange one when you finally get it.

I just don't think that you want part of that story to be "I painted it sig orange....was blue".

These cars and their stories become part of your life. Enjoy the process
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 10 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #29

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

For some of us, time is one of the issues. To keep searching to find the color Six you want in the condition you want, can be..... challenging. Then add to that the time to take it back to good condition so it can be driven and you may just add several years to the project, being optimistic.

If I was still looking for a Six and came across one that was stripped correctly and color-changed to a correct factory color for that Six, I personally would not care if the color was changed. Then again I do not intend to Concours mine and trailer it around.

I am building mine to be a fun, reliable driver for around town and on days off. So I have the fresh 3.2 going in, the transaxle converted to a side-shifter, upgraded brakes, front oil cooler, upgraded JWest fuse block, LED lighting, slightly modified gauges, deep sixes, etc. It will be the car I want to drive.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #30

TMI....

With only perhaps half or maybe 70-75% of the 3333 factory 914-6s around today, the rest falling to rust, street & racing accidents, etc. - combined with the recent rediscovery of them as alternatives to the mid-to-high 6-figure early 911s driving 914-6s to the $80-100k level today Michael, I think that the wider collectors of 914-6 mirror the responses here that they prefer all original.

IMHO - I would only do what is easily & painlessly reversible - & so I would not convert one of the very few 71 or 72 -6's into a road resto-mod myself. IMHO that's what the less loved 73 1.7's are out there for! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

.... but that's just me - while you, Kate & Brian, & everyone else can & should do whatever floats your boat, regardless of how it may affect the ultimate value of your car.

However, that does NOT mean that a properly restored to original & factory color & specs. equals a garage queen as you imply! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Take Andy T./socalandy who did an excellent 914-6/M471 build due to extensive rust damage, has the original 2.0L in storage able to be easily reinstalled, with his twin-plug 3.2L (?) & he drives it all the time - including to our Full Concours events here in Zone 8/SoCal which includes judging of the underside of the cars in Full Division!

Ergo from that latter fact, those here & elsewhere who are trailering & minimally driving their cars while competing in Concours are mostly doing so primarily to minimize their workload of prepping their cars before & at the events.

So while adding your personal preference & opinion on color changes is certainly okay, I think that then implying that an original & color correct resto must be trailered & stay a garage queen is just misleading.

Certainly if one can cut the check to do a full resto - or a major resto-mod like yours - can likewise afford to drive their cars too.

So IMHO we should stick to advising on what the OP asked for, without throwing in all sorts of unfounded implications of negative consequences.

Kate & Brian - you can still drive your -6 after the resto, whichever color you chose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
- you have my permission! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 10 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #31

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

You know there is another option, paint your 914 the original colour and let it cure well, then Dip Your Car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J6rRj98A5s
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #32

TMI....

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2016, 08:17 AM) *

You know there is another option, paint your 914 the original colour and let it cure well, then Dip Your Car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J6rRj98A5s

And also Mark, somebody above mentioned that with a color wrap over the paint too, but I'd worry about getting either dip or wrap off the paint without damaging it from a pristine CW finish.

On the other hand, if it could be removed without damage, then it would protect that CW Adriatic Blue paint job.

From what I've seen of wraps & dips, the finish isn't as glossy as a top quality paint job which has been properly buffed & waxed though.

They wrap all our OCTA busses out here with ads for hire - so maybe an ad-wrap would help pay for the resto & repaint!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
daytona
post Feb 10 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #33

daytona

Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

My self I prefer to repaint in the original color. However, if you find the blue so difficult to leave with, I suggest you paint the car in the original color and then wrap it in the color you like. You can always remove the wrap to sell the car. Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 9 2016, 02:35 PM) *

We have recently bought a matching numbers 914/6 and it needs some restoration work including a bare metal re-spray. It is (original) Alaska [edit: should have said Adriatic blue] Blue and we are not keen on that colour. Our favourite colour is Signal Orange.

We will be keeping the car once restored and driving it and showing it, for the foreseeable.

We would be interested to hear views on the effect on value in changing the colour.

Thanks Kate/Brian

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 10 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #34

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Yeah....so I never implied that other sixes that were original color, etc., were trailer queens. I just said that my car was not going to be a trailer/garage queen. I think you took the analysis one step beyond... just saying.

Additionally, if you came across a Six that was a paint to sample factory car in pink, does that mean you would repaint it pink? I am sorry, but some colors are just best left to the memory. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #35

TMI....

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 10 2016, 09:01 PM) *

Yeah....so I never implied that other sixes that were original color, etc., were trailer queens. I just said that my car was not going to be a trailer/garage queen. I think you took the analysis one step beyond... just saying.

Additionally, if you came across a Six that was a paint to sample factory car in pink, does that mean you would repaint it pink? I am sorry, but some colors are just best left to the memory. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Okay Michael, I accept that you weren't implying that.

However, it's funny that your pink car example is oddly timely - take a look at the latest March 2016 issue of Classic Motorsports, pg. 70, "Pretty in Pink" about the 1955 "Earls Court" #1 Austin-Healey 100M .... wait for it .... in Black over Pink!

Read the article & figure on the value of that special big Healey today, restored in its original color, then ask yourself what would you do with it. The OPs Kate & Brian may be aware of this Healey 100M, they being in the UK.

While they don't give its current value today in that article, my bet is that it would be sold today at a 150-200%+% premium over the more typical Healey 100Ms - it being #1 off the line care in its original unusual eye-grabbing color scheme (or maybe eye-searing to you), with an interesting racing & car show introduction history.

A one-off paint to color car of any collectible marque & model is well worth restoring it to the way it left the factory - especially once they start going up a lot in value - as both big Healeys & 914-6s have recently done.

To your 914-6 question in #99 paint to sample pink:
Is it my cup of tea? ... no!

Would I restore it to the original #99 pink ... yup!

.... but I wouldn't be keen on #98/99 Aubergine either!

Would I then trade or sell it off to an appropriate keeper of it who could appreciate it ... maybe - depending on what history it holds for me personally.

As I said in my first post to the OP's question - white or Light Ivory is not my cup-o-tea so much either, but it's the original color on my 73 914-2.0 .....

.... & that car holds a load of memories for me since I got it in 1975 as second owner - including struggles to buy it & properly maintain it even when funds were tight, courting my wife in it, etc., etc.

So I'll restore it to L80E & learn to love her in that color ... or more correctly "shade"!

.... it's not pink - but it's also not the Marathon Blue that I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) over as a poor college student when the 73 "914S" 2.0's came out either!

But this is my choice, & as I've said several times already - you, the OPs Kate/Brian & everyone else has to make their own decision for themselves, then live with whatever the consequences good or bad or neutral.

The Pink Healey article will probably hit their website at the link below in another month or so, since the March issue just came out last week, for those who don't get Classic Motorsports.

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 11 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 9 2016, 11:35 AM) *

We have recently bought a matching numbers 914/6 and it needs some restoration work including a bare metal re-spray. It is (original) Alaska [edit: should have said Adriatic blue] Blue and we are not keen on that colour. Our favourite colour is Signal Orange.

We will be keeping the car once restored and driving it and showing it, for the foreseeable.

We would be interested to hear views on the effect on value in changing the colour.

Thanks Kate/Brian

I struggled with this very same subject during my current -6 resto project. I've owned several older Porsches, and they've all been Tangerine. Except my first, which was a metallic blue repaint over original Irish (??) Green 914. Tangerine is a fine period color, but there are other pretty colors out there too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Originality horse left the barn long ago on this car: different engine, different wheels, side-shift tranny, different front brakes. So, I debated changing the color while at it, since we were going down to bare tub anyway.

In the end, I decided that even considering the other changes, closer to original was still better, and I stuck with Tangerine for the very reasons that others have mentioned. My .02.

Shoot me a PM if you're really not happy with blue and fully restored Tangerine would make an acceptable substitute for Signal Orange (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

- MR
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 11 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #37

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Likely the best answer is if it's a real six keep it original colour, but if you want a custom then build a /6 conversion.
You could always build the real /6, flip it, then buy one hell of a nice 3.2 conversion.

How do the colour purists stand on the subject of GT flares on a real six that never had them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 11 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #38

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

The other thing no one has asked/mentioned yet is the very thing Michael ( Cairo ) has to dela with. Do you have the ORIGINAL numbers matching engine for your car ? If not, and it isn't easily located, the car will never be one for the " collector/investor " so paint it whatever you want.

My opinion, stay with a year correct, or at least a real Porsche color to maximize value and potential resale, but it's your car to do as you please with, just do it right the first time. I have had this discussion ad nauseam with friends and customers. Any one of these cars could have been in the back lot one day longer and had a different color on it. I restore for my customers, but at heart I am not a CW on my own cars, nor am I a CW zealot when looking at or talking to others cars. I am just a quality zealot, because the quality speaks more to me than the originality.

Keep your car original color, with mediocre quality work and it's worth less, repaint it the wrong color, but top notch work and IMHO it is more valuable than the "original color " mediocre job car.

Opinions and assholes etc etc etc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

EDIT : I missed the matching numbers part of your first post..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Feb 11 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

In a word........... Yes

A color change will effect future resale value...
Only question is how much.....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #40

TMI....

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 11 2016, 12:32 PM) *

How do the colour purists stand on the subject of GT flares on a real six that never had them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Mark,

As an example of your query - SoCalAndy / Andy T. had to build his 70 -6 as an M471 & used real factory steel flares due to the extensive rust at all 4 fenders, did it right & as close to what a privateer would've done back in the day to build a non-factory GT racer with the factory parts available from the dealers directly from Porsche. It's excellent quality, shows well, & I think his value is very good.

He has what may have been the original of next # up 2.0 engine for it in storage (possibly a factory exchange engine, or a PCNA staffer mis-read of the actual case #), with a 3.2 twin-plug in it that he can easily swap for the 2L -6 for a purist Concours like Parade.

If it were verified for the correct engine with the M471 "tribute" or "clone" build, then it would probably command near top all correct/numbers matching numbers, as if it were still narrow body as from the factory. A bit tougher there, because a post-factory M471 done in the 70's with dealer documentation is probably it's baseline.

Hard to say how much more it would be if it were all as from the factory, but then it's the type of high quality job that Scotty B. talks about.

To be honest, I don't know if it was originally the yellow he has it "Dressed in" today. If not, then that could take some percentage off it's ultimate top value. Anybody who knows Andy knows he (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) yellow, & his prior COTM 72 2056 was also yellow right down to it's yellow top Optima battery! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Andy had PCA Zone 8 Full Concours Division 914/914-6 Class sewn up for 2015 had he been able to complete the minimum number of 51% of the events entered - due to the gas station accident on his way to the San Diego Concours - & he may have won overall in Full if he'd finished the last 3 events needed with perfect/near-perfect 325 scores (winner was the 911E Targa which was the Peter Porsche pick at the Monterey Parade in 2014 with 2 perfect & 2 nearly of the top 4 score they count).

So his is a top car & will do well this season too - even if changed from some original bits - but we do not judge originality at Zone/Region level - only at Parade, where Andy has said he'd reinstall the original 2.0 -6 for that.

That's my thoughts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:59 AM