Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I finally made it, buying a (decent) 914 in Belgium
Gustl
post Feb 13 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #21

914 enthusiast & historian

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) ... from south-east (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Feb 13 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,349
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2016, 06:09 PM) *

The AC is aftermarket, so unless you really want one, i'd get rid of it.
They're ugly and the huge hole in the front trunk doesn't help things either.

Besides that, the car looks pretty solid!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hi SirAndy,
Off course I want to get rid of the condenser in the front trunk but then I have to find someone to weld in a piece of metal sheet since welding is not my thing( I can always learn to)
If I remove the AC dashboard console the central instrument console won't fit anymore but I can make a new one (in real leather)
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Feb 14 2016, 04:22 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 13 2016, 06:44 PM) *

Hoi Wolfgang,
Glad to hear there are also European members.

GrĂ¼sse,

Robin
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Feb 14 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Wow, nice car. Love the color. Best of luck with it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 14 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

:
Congrats
All these cars have issues. Take your time. Tackle each problem one by one and you will have a car worth keeping. I would get the car on a lift and really look at the underside of the hell hole area. Then find a local welder or body guy and fix the mess that the aftermarket a/c makes of the front trunk and all the holes from running the lines. Go from there, tackle the issues and lean on 914world when you need help.

One of my best memories was riding on an amateur racing team in Belgium. I spent the spring there back in the 90's. I got my ass kicked by the locals but at least I learned what real bike racing was all about. I never hurt so good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 14 2016, 09:10 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

Welcome.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 14 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #27

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Andy... The Big Ugly Spoiler is period correct and would blend nicely if it was painted to match. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Feb 14 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2016, 04:04 PM) *

:
Congrats
All these cars have issues. Take your time. Tackle each problem one by one and you will have a car worth keeping. I would get the car on a lift and really look at the underside of the hell hole area. Then find a local welder or body guy and fix the mess that the aftermarket a/c makes of the front trunk and all the holes from running the lines. Go from there, tackle the issues and lean on 914world when you need help.

One of my best memories was riding on an amateur racing team in Belgium. I spent the spring there back in the 90's. I got my ass kicked by the locals but at least I learned what real bike racing was all about. I never hurt so good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hello Mepstein,
Thx for the advice.
The car was on the lift BEFORE I bought it. I almost bought a 914 before this one without putting it on a lift . It looked allright on the outside but the it was full of holes behind the seats. So afterwards I got very cautious. This morning I took out the battery. The battery tray doesn't look so bad. I thought that the battery tray was welded to the side wall of the engine compartment but mine is screwed on. I can always change it afterwards. For now , I just cleaned it with a screwdriver( it felt really solid) and sprayed on some zinc spray.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Feb 14 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 14 2016, 05:36 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Andy... The Big Ugly Spoiler is period correct and would blend nicely if it was painted to match. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

What attracts me most in the 914 is the very clean lines and the very functional design.
Everything not needed has been left off. And to me the spoiler "spoils" the clean lines. That's just my idea.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Feb 14 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Hey, congrats!!!

I agree with SirAndy, dump the AC unit. It will also make the interior much more open. You could cut out the center section of the AC console and use that to fill the gap above the gauges. Then, some black leather or similar around the edges in the foot wells, and it will look fine.

I think the spoiler looks fine, but I agree with your logic about keeping the lines clean. Not sure how it's attached.

Pull off the rocker panels to inspect for rust there.

Personally, I'd get an original shift knob. I don't think that aftermarket one looks good, and it looks like you are trying to stay original. There are some excellent reproduction ones that are not expensive.

The dash cover that the dealer put on this car isn't that good in my opinion. I'd buy one of the plastic dash covers over what the dealer did to this car. They aren't expensive. The driver's door is sagging a bit. It might just need new wedges. They are a cheap and easy fix. I would definitely see what's up with the door, though.

I'd try sanding down the bumper to get rid of the rough areas.

Looks like a good car from the posted pix!
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Feb 18 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #31

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) GREEEN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Feb 18 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 18 2016, 10:18 PM) *

It's supposed to be Palma Green but I'm not sure since it had a respray and the color inside the trunk is not exactly the same. I sanded the front bumper (was full off "bubbles") and used "Pneu" from Swissol(= now Swissvac) to get it black again. Looks like new now so I'm beginning to like the BUB's. Back bumper will be for the weekend.
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Mar 3 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #33

Today I finally got through customs with the same forms that they refused the first time.
And now onto the DMV!
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Mar 5 2016, 06:51 AM
Post #34

Today I visited the Antwerp Oldtimer Fair. At least one hundred Porsches, meticulously restored, and only ONE 914!
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Apr 24 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Feb 14 2016, 07:58 PM) *

Hey, congrats!!!

I agree with SirAndy, dump the AC unit. It will also make the interior much more open. You could cut out the center section of the AC console and use that to fill the gap above the gauges. Then, some black leather or similar around the edges in the foot wells, and it will look fine.

I think the spoiler looks fine, but I agree with your logic about keeping the lines clean. Not sure how it's attached.

Pull off the rocker panels to inspect for rust there.

Personally, I'd get an original shift knob. I don't think that aftermarket one looks good, and it looks like you are trying to stay original. There are some excellent reproduction ones that are not expensive.

The dash cover that the dealer put on this car isn't that good in my opinion. I'd buy one of the plastic dash covers over what the dealer did to this car. They aren't expensive. The driver's door is sagging a bit. It might just need new wedges. They are a cheap and easy fix. I would definitely see what's up with the door, though.

I'd try sanding down the bumper to get rid of the rough areas.

Looks like a good car from the posted pix!
Hi Cuda911,
i followed your advice and got rid of the Momo shift knob and put in an original one. I left the AC console but took everything out except the ventilator; It provides good airflow and I made some mesh grilles to replace the missing air vents and painted them satin black.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Apr 24 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #36

I also took apart the center console because it didn't fit(it was just "thrown" in) and the lower part was broken. I made a new lower part with a a piece of an old leather jacket, some painted wood and some foam. After some cutting grinding and fitting , it looks already a lot better now.
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Apr 24 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #37

Today I took off the Momo steering wheel to reach the hub wich didn't look too good.I sanded it to the bare metal until it was real smooth (I didn't like the structure paint) and sprayed on matt black paint. I still have to put the wheel back on. It's in very good condition and I don't have the original one.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 24 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Love the leather console !!
+Quote Post
green ernie
post Apr 26 2016, 03:09 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 18,354
Region Association: England

QUOTE(slotty008 @ Feb 18 2016, 11:28 PM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 18 2016, 10:18 PM) *

It's supposed to be Palma Green but I'm not sure since it had a respray and the color inside the trunk is not exactly the same. I sanded the front bumper (was full off "bubbles") and used "Pneu" from Swissol(= now Swissvac) to get it black again. Looks like new now so I'm beginning to like the BUB's. Back bumper will be for the weekend.

Hello from England, I don't think your paint is Palma Green Metallic. I have a Palma Green Metallic 75 which is in the spray shop at the moment. If you look in the drivers side door jamb you should find a plate with the paint code on it. Palma Green Metallic was a 75 only colour and the code is LKL 95 K. Mine also had a rear spoiler which had to go but you will have to get the holes welded up and your boot panel resprayed as you my find the paint that has been covered by the spoiler is brighter and less faded.
Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Apr 26 2016, 06:06 AM
Post #40

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Hi ! Welcome here. Nice find ! Are you french or netherland speaking ? I ask that because there is a large 914 french speaking belgium community on the french Porsche 914 forum. They often join the french meetings and also organize their own meetings in belgium.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:09 AM